All parent member reviews for Finding Nemo

Adult Written bybobtedeschi April 9, 2008

My 4-year old was traumatized

Immediately beneath the "Adult Reviews" box for Finding Nemo is the quote "recommended for: Ages 2 and up." I either didn't see the "common sense notes" on Nemo or it hadn't yet been posted. In either case, based on the "ages 2 and up" recommendation, and the glowing reviews from parents on this site, I brought my little girl on Saturday to her first movie-theater feature. I wish I hadn't. The movie spends the first 15 minutes or so investing the audience in the two main characters, then spends the next hour putting these characters' lives in peril, in a series of near-violent deaths accentuated by all the soundtrack and sound-effect pyrotechnics you'd expect. There was a huge shark with hundreds of teeth gnashing at the protagonist for a few minutes straight, a freakish looking fish with spiked teeth gnashing at the protagonist for a few minutes, the other protagonist nearly getting shredded in a fish tank filter, the first protagonist and his friend nearly dying in an ever-tightening minefield of jellyfish -- the list goes on and on. I expected a joyful experience where I didn't have to actively parent for a couple of hours. I was dead wrong. Note: my child's media consumption is mostly limited to more feel-good types of shows like Pooh, Mr. Rogers, Clifford, etc., but she is not a shrinking violet.
Parent Written byhools June 16, 2010

Our four-year-old only made it through the first few minutes, and that is after we skipped the beginning where Nemo's mom and family (except Dad) meet a violent end. This, like most kids movies, is much too intense and scary for sensitive preschoolers.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bylaribrook June 9, 2010

Great, but need to skip scary parts

We love this movie for my preschool age kids, but we have to skip a good 4-5 large scenes. This makes it a little hard for them to follow the storyline. There are just too many scary parts in this movie for young kids to watch the whole movie. However, the animation is colorful and amazing in most spots. The main characters are cute and have good personalities. Nothing annoying, either!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byninjai April 27, 2011

Perfect for all ages

We love it specially on the part where the shark says, " Fish are friends not food." This also sends a message to everyone that this animals also has feelings and they are also a person inside a tiny body.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byaniO March 17, 2011

I love this movie. The scariest scene with mom & eggs being eaten is in chapter 1 on the dvd so I usually skip it and begin the movie with Nemo and Marlin leaving for the first day of school. That cuts down on the scary and the slightly awkward intro is soon forgotten.
Parent Written byKejoli April 21, 2010

I've had this one for a while waiting until my 4.5yo was old enough to watch. Based on the review here being suitable for 4+ (and my opinion that the age ratings on this site are often conservative), she watched it today. This is one time I think the reviewers here got it wrong. It was frequently too scary for her and I'm not sure that she actually enjoyed the experience as a result. This from a child who usually wants to watch scary bits.
Parent of a 5 and 5 year old Written bymdpack August 18, 2010

Good entertainment for young kids

We love Finding Nemo for the silly lines and the fun action sequences. Dori is somewhat of a favorite in our house because she can read and the boys are learning to read.
Adult Written byJanelleam October 20, 2011

Too harrowing for my 4 year old.

I took others' advice and skipped past the beginning in order for my just turned 4 year old daughter to watch the movie, but it was still way to much for her. The whole movie is one big harrowing moment after another. Even the parts that aren't outright scary are still too dramatic for my little girl to take. We made it through the whole thing, but had to fast forward past the sharks and pretty much every other part where the fish were in peril...which is pretty much the whole movie. Also, was really not pleased with the "I HATE YOU" part. I have friends with kids her age that like this movie a lot, but had I known it was going to be like this, I would have waited at least 2 years before letting her see it.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bysallmond March 14, 2011

I <3 Nemo....and Dory....and Marlin...

Only concerns were already mentioned in the CCM review. This movie is GREAT but i think most of us know this :P It all boils down to "know your kid"...and make decisions based on that. My son started watching it at 2 and never had any issues with it until he was actually a little older. At that point, we were able to say things like 'they are ok, remember? you have seen this before!"
Adult Written bymelvankomen April 9, 2008

Fab Fun for the Family!

My parents, husband, 3 children (ages 3 to 10) and I loved this movie. It really wowed me with the animation technology, but the story carries the film. Little Nemo and his father Marlin (along with a hilarious side-kick named Dori) discover that life has challenges and problems, but none are insurmountable. That is a message I want my children to hear.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byKunmingMom July 1, 2010

suspense/peril is frightening for little ones

My kids had a hard time with the scary scenes as pre-schoolers, but loved the story. There's lots to love about this one, and they've grown into it now.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byJennrleigh April 16, 2011

LOVE IT!!!

My kids love this movie. There are a couple of pretty scary parts , so it is important to watch it with your child so you can reassure them that it will be OK. Finding Nemo has such a wonderful message about not giving up ("Just keep swimming"). Ellen DeGeneres is fantastic as Dory. It is funny and sweet and a family favorite in our house! Plus what a comforting message for kids...that your parents will do anything to keep their kiddos safe! :)
Parent of a 2, 8, and 17 year old Written byJanlara January 7, 2011

Parent of an infant, 1, 4, and 5 year old Written byMrs. Higgles November 19, 2011

TOOO VIOLEENNNTTTT

This Movie is the most violent movie I let my 5 year old watch. I thought that this movie would be about not running away and what to if you get lost. This movie is not educational at all. What would a young boy want to do after watching this movie would be eat his sister. I HATE FINDING NEMO!!!
Parent of a 2, 8, and 11 year old Written byDa Nerd May 20, 2010

sweet

Sweet. -Da nerd
Parent Written byPrincess Samara May 3, 2010

This movie is my kids favorite!
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byjoannab July 11, 2010

Parent Written bypeacocksc7 June 25, 2011

The best disney kid comedy movie ever!!

my son is 14 months old & watches this every single day. Im serious. Of course he doesnt understand it yet, however, I think it is a great humor movie for adults & children. It can teach a lesson to children about listening to your parents, & what can happen if you dont listen to them. Great movie!!
Adult Written by4Spice June 13, 2010

good movie for kids

kids will love it nothing bad in the movie
Adult Written bytreestar April 9, 2008

This is an immensely scary movie -- beware!

There are a lot of great things to say about this movie -- but after seeing it, my 9-yr old son and 12 yr-old media savvy daughter refused to go into our pool in the daytime, let alone on a trip to the beach!! They each told me during the movie how scary it is. The good news is that we care about Nemo and his dad very much, and their emotions are conveyed very effectively. The bad news is that the numerous times they are in grave danger, all the big teeth attacking or threatening them relentlessly, their heartbreaking losses just add up to a very scary movie. We adore Dory (she salvaged the movie for us) and laughed out loud many times, but when we left the movie, neither kid even wanted to RENT the movie when it comes out, showing just how un-kid-friendly it ultimately was.