Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Five Feet Apart

Strong acting saves predictable, sentimental love story.

Adult Written by2scorps April 25, 2019

For those of you that think this movie only deserves 2 stars; how would you feel if you were born with a death sentence?

First off let me fill you in on what Cystic Fibrosis is in my everyday life. My parents were told when I was 6 y.o. I would not live to see my 18th birthday. I was sent out of the room when the Dr. told my parents, I knew something was up when they exited the Drs. office. A 6 y.o. child is not suppose to see both of his parents crying. That was my first day of diagnoses with 2 copies of inherited Delta F 508 genes that causes CF, (which by the way is the worse case combination). All of my childhood in and out of hospitals, some stays as long as 2 months. After 2 months of being in a hospital looking out the window in your room and seeing a caterpillar on the sidewalk is exciting, not to mention how boring hospital food can be after your first week. We as Cystic Fibrosis patients have approximately 24 years to do the things a person who lives to be75 years old gets to do in their lifetime. Why would anyone say anything bad about this movie? As a CF patient I would like to experience a small portion what a NORMAL person gets to experience in a lifetime. Is that a crime ? I don't expect a normal person to understand what it is like to be born with a death sentence on your head. Please people try and understand how our life is different, and don't criticize this movie until you have walked in our shoes. It is extremely difficult to live our life, everyday we fight in our mind, do I want to live another awful day filled with pain and pills , and people who don't understand, or is today the day I want to end my life. This illness is not curable, it is just treated on a day to day basis. Most doctors still do not understand exactly what CF is or how to treat it. That leaves CF patients still being treated as guinea pigs, is this new med going to work or is it going to make me feel worse. At this point, I'm not sure if the lack of knowledge about CF is worse than the lack of empathy for CF patients. I think this movie did a damn good job reproducing the life of a CF patient, the hospital scenes are identical to my many hospital stays! Two CF patients fell in love--so what's wrong with them wanting to have sex. Isn't that the norm these days? So sorry that some of you couldn't see past the love scenes to fully absorb the true message. CF patients long to have a normal life too! Simple, right? Well no, it's not that simple for us CF patients. I rest my case although I feel extremely disappointed at other reviews. Maybe if you take the time to educate yourselves, you would appreciate the movie for what is, a true & honest reflection of a CF patients' life.

Adult Written byMlschrodt March 20, 2019

Five Feet Apart

This was the worst movie I have seen in years. Took my 13 year old which is a horrible movie for a 13 year old. Bad language to include the f word. Kids talked about sex. Gay guy talking about the loves of his life. Boy and girl strip down to underwear to look at each other. It is certainly not a PG 13 movie. To top it off my in-law parents came with us felt bad that they were drug to see such a horrible movie. Not realistic. Bad bad bad

Parent of a 13 year old Written bybobby m. April 30, 2019

Sweet and Heartfelt

I think this movie is important for kids to watch, to be able to understand what some people have to go through.

Adult Written byLynnLolly March 18, 2019

Hospital Romance Movie - Sweet and So Sad!

This movie is so well done, and so well acted you will forget that it is not people you actually know personally and cry along with them. I don't like to have movies try and make me cry and usually stubbornly refuse to cry but this one had me, my husband, my teenage nephews, my sisters, and their cynical husbands all sobbing! The only thing that would have made it better would have been more of the star, Stella's backstory. I wished for more about Abby so I could have known about her sooner in the movie.
Adult Written bySMMJR21468 March 24, 2019

Brilliant well written film & actors

My daughter asked to see this film. It's the second weekend in theaters. I want to say I hardly give any film 5 stars it has to be exceptionally moving, actors acting believable and above all well written to achieve that rating. Five feet apart is that exceptionally moving, spectacular actors with a well written script. All the actors in this movie must of given their best performance because they were totally believable. I saw older couples around my preteen daughter and I at our early afternoon Saturday time slot. When I cry or feel strongly for a film I look to see if anyone has a similar reaction. In this film what shocked me was I noticed men who looked never like they'd never cry at a movie wiping their faces. Seventy five percent of the people stood and clapped at the end, something I've only seen after action movies. These actors were brilliantly chosen for this film. Story so believable that a part with heathy children think how lucky they are to not have to watch daily a child suffer. It was a great film I think everyone with the financial means to see it go to see it. I haven't felt after many films that I got my moneys worth but I certainly got more then I paid for us watching Five Feet Apart.

Adult Written byKelli Steinburg March 1, 2019

Good

This is a great movie for anyone who enjoys romance, drama and tradgedy!

Written byAnonymous June 13, 2019

Very good (and sad), but lots of language and sexual references.

I loved this movie! I cried while watching it, as it is kinda a sad movie. I am disappointed that there was very much swearing in the movie, including f words, d words, and more. There was also quite a few sexual references, as I wish there wasn’t. Two people strip down to their underwear (I skipped this part). This movie also includes a gay character (as most things these days do, unfortunately), and his past relationships are mentioned. A person is shown lying on the floor, dead, in a sad scene. And, there is also a surgery scene, with lungs in a container (replacement lungs). I loved this movie, but wish there was much less strong language and references to inappropriate topics.

Adult Written bymar_smith May 29, 2019

Favorite movie!!! Heartwarming 10/10 would reccomend

Great movie!!!!!!!! I brought my 11 year old daughter to it and she loved it but it was a little mature for her and we had to have some conversations about certain scenes in the movie post seeing it. A couple examples of innapropriate scenes were when Stella and Will were standing in the hall and Stella told Will that it was gross that he lets his friends rent out his hospital room for SEX, which lead to Will asking Stella if she liked sex(my daughter was a little awkward at that part when I looked to see her reaction.) Also, Stella and Will were sitting opposite from eachother at the pool and they both striped down (not all the way but Stella was left with just her underwear and bra and Will just had on his underwear) which made my daughter feel extremely awkward and tense up. There was swearing but not too much (only the f word 2 times and a couple other swears throughout the movie) but if your child knows and has heard these swears there is nothing to worry about. The movie was so good and the relationship between Stella and Will was amazing as so cute! It was adorable how they risked their lives just to love and touch each other. It had both me and my daughter and many,many others in the theater sobbing and crying which honestly made the movie a lot better. There are some intense parts like when Po dies and Stella falls through the ice and Will has to save her life so if your child is more sensitive and easily upset I would take caution with showing them this movie. Definitly the best movie!!!10/10 would recommend, next time you have the oppurtunity to watch a movie this would be a great choice!

Adult Written bymahta.gh March 31, 2019

Adult Written byB M. March 27, 2019

Excellent Film

This is a film that the critics got wrong, in my opinion, by giving it a mediocre review. The film is glorious in it's execution and a feast for romantics, while being moving, bittersweet, and eye opening. The cast is spot on, right down to Emily Baldoni (more of a side character) who plays the nurse with convincing authenticity. Kimberly Hebert Gregory is, as always, perfectly warm and wonderful (such a good actress!), Moises Arias will break your heart and of course, Cole Sprouse and Haley Lu Richardson stick the landing. Justin Baldoni's directorial debut is not to be missed. And, one of the best characters in the movie... is the music. So, buy. that. soundtrack. I say 14 and Up bc there are mentions of sex, in that the main character is a virgin and sex comes up here and there...and there is some cursing. 12 and 13 year olds who have "had the talk" can probably handle it, but it's also super sad, in some places, so tread lightly under 14. Great, great movie... 5 stars for sure.
Adult Written byKimmieA March 26, 2019

All about sex

I was completely disgusted with this movie. I took my 12-year-old daughter and her 13-year-old friend after having read the reviews here and on other sites. This movie was way too old for these young girls. There wasn't five minutes that went by in this movie where these kids weren't talking about sex. It's way too old. I didn't enjoy the movie at all. My daughter and her friend didn't care much for it, either. There are kids in the hospital supposedly over a month's time and their families come to visit them one time for a meal? Give me a break. Completely unrealistic and a total waste of time and money. Do not bother.

Adult Written byDtormc March 25, 2019

Not expecting casual sex talk

I took my 10 year old daughter to see this with her volleyball team. There was more reference to casual sex than I would have wanted my daughter to be exposed to. Though there was no actual sex, the scene where they are undressing down to underwear was extremely intimate and sexual. The PG-13 is spot on.

Parent of a 11 and 18+ year old Written by2goodcomix March 21, 2019

it succ 10/10

it ripped off anthony padilla
Adult Written byJetandnoche March 19, 2019

Not appropriate for 13

Very disappointed in this movie. WHAT PARENTS NEED TO KNOW: There is A LOT of talk about sex. In one scene a couple of one of the boys friends are being left in his hospital room to have sex and he says "don't make a mess". In another scene the girls are talking about hooking up with boys and she tells them to be sure to use protection. One of the boys is gay and they talk about all of the boys he has been with (at least 4). While I am not in denial that this age group (the characters are 17) is having sex or thinking about it, my 13 year and her friends are not!! Nor was I ready to explain how 2 boys have sex and what kind of "mess" might they make in his hospital bed!! UNBELIEVABLE, this should have been rated R.

Adult Written bysbrett61 March 19, 2019

Awful Language, Constant Sex, Constant Liberal Indoctrination

The language was terrible and persistent throughout the movie and they constantly talked about sex. Within the first 10 minutes, there were teenagers having sex in the hospital room of one of the patients. The teens having sex in the hospital were an African American male and a white female. Nothing against interracial relationships, but it's so obvious that Hollywood is trying to create a norm for white women and black men dating. Why not switch up occasionally and show a white guy with a black woman? How insulting to black women. You almost never see a white man choosing a black female. In addition, the word sex was mentioned constantly and the language was foul. Less than 5% of the population is gay, but there is a gay guy in the movie of course who is portrayed as the most emotionally intelligent person in the movie (just like in "Instant Family."). Seriously Hollywood? I have gay friends, but don't appreciate a PG-13 movie promoting gay marriage and homosexuality. This is movie liberal indoctrination and horrible for children under 13.

Adult Written byanabela048 March 17, 2019

It was the best movie i had seen in years!! it was so welcoming l put together! if i were you i wouldn’t wade another minute and go see it! best movie ever!

it is so worth it!

Adult Written byMovieMom324 March 15, 2019

Intense Love & Life Story

This movie is very well written and the acting is excellent all around. Some of Cystic Fibrosis info goes by really fast and my daughter told me she wouldn't have known what the medical problems were if I hadn't been able to tell her. So maybe read a bit about it before you go. I gave it age 14+ for the casual sometimes raunchy sex banter. Overall it is very intense question of life and how to live it, what makes it worthwhile. If you have younger teens who want to see it, please accompany them. We had a row full of sobbing distressed 12 & 13 yr olds with no one to help them deal with their feelings.