All parent member reviews for Footloose (1984)

Parent of a 15 year old Written byTsion August 29, 2010

Ultra Corny and Ultra Fun!

FOOTLOOSE is a nostalgia joyride that takes the form of a 80s quasi-musical. It's a ton of fun to watch, especially with friends. I admit, some of it is just good to laugh at, but a lot of it is genuine entertainment that has you smiling and tapping your feet. The whole plot of the movie is about teenage rebellion against authoritative figures, so if you think your kids will be inspired negatively by that, for sure don't let them watch. However, for mature pre-teens and teenagers, this movie is a lot of fun. There is some questionable content. Teenagers smoke (both cigarettes and weed), drink, and do dangerous stunts with their cars without any apparent consequences. The drugs are a big problem in the movie. Although a teen with marijuana is portrayed as a negative role model, the main protagonists of the film drink and smoke, and are praised for being rebels when they do so. Make sure your kids are mature enough to know that this is wrong. In addition to that, there is some brief non-sexual nudity (naked guys are seen in a locker room from the back and side), and some talk is made of how the pastor's daughter is promiscuous (she is seen putting boots back on after sex with her boyfriend). The same girl tells her father that she's not a virgin, and he uses words like "fornication" to describe sexual behavior. There is some suggestive dancing, but nothing major. There is constant teenage language like "s**t" and "d**n", but it's nothing that your kids aren't exposed to in school. A teenage girl is beaten up by her boyfriend (we see her with a black eye and cuts on her face), and two boys play chicken with tractors.
Adult Written bybaconbrother4 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byLowe's man April 24, 2014

Has danceable music with a few lessons.

It's briefly said in this movie that the reason why dancing is banned in this town is because the minister's son got killed as a result of an accident that happened coming home from a dance one night. (Forgive me if I got a couple details wrong.) This is an excellent way for parents and teachers to tell their teenagers why some cities have seemingly silly restrictions. So Ren tries to change that. While he's unsuccessful, he's obviously prepared, even going so far as to quote various verses of the Bible. As for Ariel, she regrets losing her virginity. Parents need to make sure that kids know and understand the significance of this, as well as those dangerous stunts while driving cars and tractors. If teens are mature enough to understand this, they'll enjoy this movie.
Parent of a 9, 12, and 13 year old Written bygunnydlc April 1, 2013

I liked it but it's not for impressionable young teens.

I think it's a really good movie but the the suggestion of casual premarital teenage sex is not something I'd like my child as thinking it's something normal.
Parent Written bytrisha nicole(: December 30, 2011

footloose

Adult Written bymamagoose_w3 April 9, 2008

One of my favorites!

I really enjoy this movie and remember watching it when I was a teenager. I have watched it several times since then. I would not recommend it for kids younger than 13 since it does deal with sexual situations and has some harsh language.
Adult Written bybrennafly April 9, 2008

great movie

I have seen this movie lots of times and I never get tired of it. The dance scenes are my favorite. I love this movie. Some of the material is innapropiate for kids, but I think that anybody over 10 can watch this. I disagree that the theme of the movie is outdated, the movie is still enjoyable anyway!