Parent reviews for Footloose

Footloose Poster Image

awesome movie for kids just getting bored of the younger stuff

my kids love this movie yes there is some crude humor in it but other wise great

One of the Best

Amazing movie perfectly suitable for 12+ Normally remakes are never as good as the original but for this one its a different case. This has opened my eyes to real talent. I am in love even more with music thanks to this. And I can even dance around a bit too! :D Haha

Don't Waste Your Time

I couldn't be more disappointed in a remake in more than one way. Even if you remove the fact that Kenny Wormald obviously studied Kevin Bacon's dance moves in order to play the part of Ren McCormick, the movie still doesn't fly on it own. While I can appreciate a modern spin on what's now considered a classic amongst my generation, it just doesn't quite work...from a parental standpoint. We all know the story so there's not much point in retelling it. It's worth noting that there are many elements from the original soundtrack in the remake. But there's also some more modern music in it that I won't let my kids listen to. I suppose it's hypocritical but I'm more likely to let my kids listen to Quiet Riot than Cee Lo Green. While the original has a decent amount of profanity in it, the remake seems to almost train the amount of profanity for more seductive dancing than the original. Of course, none of the characters are poster children for good behavior--not in the original or the remake. But in some ways, the director has taken the teenage rebellion to the next level. Let's face it...we're not exactly talking about James Dean here (or Kevin Bacon for that matter). I'll confess that I may not be totally fair in my review because I didn't even finish the movie...it was that bad. Even if you remove the dancing, swearing, etc., the script is poor and the acting is mediocre at best. Juliane Hough can dance...we all know that from watching Dancing With The Stars. But the behavior of her character in the film and how she portrays Ariel is far from what I want my daughters to exhibit.

Common Sense misses the mark on this one. Not for younger teens.

I watched the remake of Footloose with my almost 13 year old after reading the review here. However, we both were very uncomfortable with the sexual nature of conversations and situations, very suggestive dancing, the swearing, and the violence (when Ariel is hit by her boyfriend). My daughter asked to turn it off and we did. I watched the rest later on my own. Ariel puts herself in some dangerous situations and I'm not sure the story fully fleshes out that she realizes her mistakes. The high schoolers go to a bar to go dancing but there is drinking too -- what could have been a fun movie for all ages turned out to be a so-so movie for young adults. Common Sense Media is usually on the mark for us but not this time.

Hypocritical to the MAX

Incredibly hypocritical review by CSM here. They talk about things in this movie like its not a big deal and scorn the same type of things in humorous Adam Sandler movies. The difference is that this movie brings up things that are actually going on IN HIGH SCHOOLS with a lot of your kids (yes you reading this) like sex and pot and cussing and drinking. Whereas Adam Sandler movies and the like show it in a funny and often unrealistic way. Just because one is a remake of a "classic" that we all grew up with and the other says "Adam Sandler" on the front doesn't make the exact same references any better in this movie.

Good movies

this movie has good messages, contains drugs, alcohol use, and has some sexuality and violence. But overall only for 13 & up.

Beautiful, Brilliant, Masterpiece!

Even if you aren't a dancer or haven't seen the original Footloose this movie is absolutely amazing. It is beautiful and well-made. The main character, Ren, is an amazing role-model. The dancing is fun, the music is animated and when I went to watch this movie all I wanted to do is DANCE! However, I would not recommend this movie for anyone under the age of 14 and it might even be iffy for some 14 year olds. There is an implyed sex scene in which the girl starts unbuttoning her shirt, also intense make out scenes and the girl takes her shirt off to use as a flag while they are racing buses in a scene. There is language and disrespect to the parents (on the girl's part). She also mentions "guys getting into her panties." There is some violence, but nothing really major. I would mainly be concerned about the sex and language in the movie. Nothing more graphic than what I wrote about though. I completely recommend this movie however, it was well done and a joy to watch. Definitely going into my movie collection!

Footloose: Fun or Flop?

Lydia Thomas Professor Jossart English 110 7 November 2011 Footloose: Fun or Flop? With the abundance of ’80’s movie remakes being released, it was questionable whether or not Craig Brewer’s Footloose would be able to match the amplitude of its predecessor. However, the few differences, copious similarities and amplified storyline create a captivating new take on a classic flick. Despite the fact that professional dancers were specifically cast, their acting was as flawless as their dancing, which quickly lead Footloose to number two in the box office. Since parents today have more to worry about than loud music and dancing, it was hard to realistically portray a present day setting. Brewer chose to base his movie in the deep south; Bomont, Georgia, complete with cowboys and a strict Baptist preacher. This small town is a big change for urban teen, Ren McCormick (Kenny Wormald) who moves there from Boston to live with his aunt and uncle after the death of his mother. Taken aback from the town’s strange laws against drinking, dancing, and loud music, Ren quickly realizes this close-knit town has a story behind these absurdities. A tragic accident years before left Reverend Shaw Moore (Dennis Quaid) scarred with the death of his son and four other teens, and the town with new laws. Fate steps in, and Ren is quickly falling for the Reverend Moore’s rebellious daughter, Ariel Moore (Julianne Hough), while at odd’s with her belligerent boyfriend, Chuck Cranston (Patrick John Flueger). Ren decides these laws have got to go, and along with the help of his new friend, Willard (Miles Teller), he sets out to change the town’s mind, and do some dancing on the side. Brewer decided to take a gamble, and cast dancers as actors. In the original movie, it was the other way around; actors were cast as dancers. His gamble paid off, and Wormald and Hough mastered both the dancing and drama. From break dancing at a parking lot jam to a gymnastics solo in a warehouse to line dancing at a border bar, both the music and dancing are superb. Although he’s no Kevin Bacon, Wormald’s killer moves and even a gymnastics routine in an abandoned warehouse perceives the city boy Ren, who does his best to down home and dangerous. Hough nails Lori Singer’s old part of rebellious preacher’s daughter with an edgy attitude, while demonstrating breathtaking dance moves of her own. The original soundtrack gets “countrified”, modernized by current artists with a little southern flair. Blake Shelton and Cee Lo Green duo on “Footloose”, “Let’s Hear It for the Boy” is redone by Jana Kramer and “Holding Out for a Hero” is transformed by Ella Mae Bowen. Big & Rich and Gretchen Wilson star with “Fake I.D.”, and Smashing Pumpkins make a vocal appearance with “Window Paine.” The new country vibe matches the backwoods heel-stomping, and leaves audiences tapping their toes. Footloose could have possibly been just another badly-redone chick flick, but instead, the intense choreography, believably modern plot and jiving soundtrack sent it to number two in the box office on opening weekend. Although audiences may be skeptical about this remake, they won’t regret going to see the new Footloose in theaters.

Not what I expected

While I loved the original, and the above review mentions that the sexual content isn't something that kids wouldn't hear in their classrooms or hallways, etc, it doesn't mean that it should be encouraged. The media can be used in positive ways, but to push off the innapropriateness of a film because "everyone is doing it." just doesn't cut it for me. The sexual innuendos and content were not necessary for the film and seemed to have been added in for effect. This film if it stuck to its roots could have been a valuable contribution to teaching kids responsibility, and value. There was a lot of drinking, but in some sense, it was a part of the lessons to be learned.

"Holding out for a Hero"

The message in the remake is even better than the original. The best part of the movie was the scene directly after Ariel was about to lose her virginity. Right after that, the amazing remake of the song Holding Out for a Hero was played in the background while showing Ren. I guess it just spoke to me, because I love that this movie showed Ren as more of a hero than the original, which is such a positive message for young girls. The remake filled in a lot of the gaps from the original. I really enjoyed the, and it gave me hope that there are people out there who believe that "holding out for a hero" is the best path.