Kid reviews for Frances Ha

Smart, hilarious, mature look at an appealing scatterbrain.

Teen, 17 years old Written bymymembername June 17, 2013

Humorous and Heartfelt with Feminist Undertones

Yes, this is not a movie that contains content appropriate for a child. Because this movie is not targeted towards children. It shows a very realistic portrayal of what it's like to be a young adult living in the city without much money or a sense of strong purpose. I wouldn't be surprised if many people had similar experiences to the troubles that Frances faces financially and emotionally in this film. Greta Gerwig is full of energy and humor as Frances, and carries this film with an air of realism and wonder at the same time. Her countless mistakes make her human, and her longing to not make so many mistakes makes her a relatable character. She is not a shining example of a human being, but rather one we all hold inside. It's true that this film resembles the quirkiness and likable mediocrity of a lot of indie films, but trust me when I say it's one of the great ones. Frances Ha has heart. Not every film should be expected to have some big sleek production with a main character who might as well be Superman. I think it's refreshing to see a female lead character who deflects common tropes such as having a life that revolves around some guy. The ending was satisfying, and without giving much away, you can clearly see a growth in the character of Frances. Good movie. Note: No violence or sex is depicted in this movie. The common effects of drinking are shown in an unappealing manner. Contains cursing and blatant talk of sex. While my close family enjoyed it, this movie does not fit the general idea of what is family-friendly (or rather, child-friendly).

Teen, 16 years old Written bySean Broucek June 10, 2013

Mature scatterbrain dramedy is not for kids.

Parents, this mature dramedy about a scatterbrain is appealing to adults, but the very strong language and brief violence is too intense for teens. Swearing is very frequent. It includes several uses of f--k, s--t, c-k, c--t, b-tch, a--hole, d-mn, sl-t, w--re, t-ts, d---he, h-ll, j--z, d--k, p---y, b-stard, and some brief sexual references. Violence includes heated arguments and fighting. People smoke and drink frequently, and one character has a crystal meth addiction. Sexuality includes references to oral and anal sex, and one nonsexual scene including graphic nudity (female genitals and bare breasts) while two women change in the same room. Rated R For Language Throughout, Some Strong Sexuality, Graphic Nudity, Drug Use, & Brief Violence, and that this fun and mature dramedy is not for kids.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDrSoup007 February 2, 2016

It can be crass, and harsh, but that's life, and the film does an excellent job at capturing every aspect of what makes us human.

I noticeably smiled through the entire movie, and I don't know if that's the cause of its quirky humor or its extreme believability. The characters are all so charming and realistic, and the story is a perfect slice of life premise that excels with its actors and script. Everything comes full circle and I'm left feeling all bubbly inside, mainly due to its unique visual style and music choice, creating this weird little world for you to be a part of for a few fleeting hours. I don't have a lot to say about it other than I'm endlessly captured by everything it has to offer, it can be crass, and harsh, but that's life, and the film does an excellent job at capturing every aspect of what makes us human. I'm not a huge fan of most indie movies, they more often than not have a pretentious attitude about them, but Frances Ha embraces that, and even pokes fun at it. I'm thoroughly pleased and can sleep tonight with a smile on my face.

Teen, 16 years old Written byirontap June 24, 2015

Fantastic

Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah November 29, 2013

Easily the most charming movie in years.

Endlessly charming, sarcastically funny, very well-shot, perfectly timed, well-paced, and everyone has a great presence. Its basic setup reminded me of an indie version of Bridesmaids and it's charm reminds me of Moonrise Kingdom. 9.5/10, amazing, far above average, two thumbs up, etc.

Teen, 13 years old Written byJoibird February 17, 2018

My rating: R for some strong language and sex-related humor