Parent and Kid Reviews on

Freaky Friday (2018) Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 8 parent reviews

Sort by:

Awful song about parents lying

I would have scored this higher as the kids seemed to be enjoying it, but then there was a song about parents lying about Santa Claus and magic and suggesting that when we praise our children we’re really lying to them and they’re not really good at anything. That’s just a horrible message - why would we want our kids to doubt everything? So I wish we had avoided this film.

Way better than the other two!! (my opinion)

**CALLING ALL MUSICAL LOVERS** This is a musical! I didn't know that it was a musical until the main characters busted out singing and dancing! I was shocked! I personally LOVED it! It was much cleaner than the last remake and I recommend over the first two versions. There are low and plunging tops and short skirts/shorts on the main characters and extras. Like for most of the movie... The main family is mixed. Black dad and white mom/kids. There is a lot of diversity in this movie, and I think it makes it feel real, so I applaud Disney! The daughter is grieving from her dad's death 5 years earlier. Her grief led to her being on the rebellious side, such as getting a belly button piercing. The daughter calls her brother names such as, "nerd face", etc. which helps tear him down leading to him running away from home. Cute little romance mixed in the plot line. Mother and daughter realize to switch back they need to confess their love for each other (**cough cough kinda like Frozen cough cough**) This does seem to be a movie for teenagers (girls) and their mom's. Like a mother daughter movie. I watched it with my 13-year-old sister and she was a bit bored, but I am 18 (female) and loved the balance of everything! And I love musicals so I'm a bit biased XD

Really nice movie!!!

While I know this is like a third reboot and that the songs are originally from a stage musical (haven't seen any of it), I have to say I really like this movie! I love how it's not so much about being cool and stuffs like that, but it focus more on a mother - daughter realtionship, which not all movies do. And I love how they BOTH learn from each other. The actors for the daughter and the mom plays their roles and vice versa, you know, extremely well. And the songs are so beautiful! And for being a TV movie it's actually very well filmed and I think it would've worked well in cinemas too. While the messages in the movie are great for all ages, I think it's going to appeal most to teenage girls and their moms. Highly recommend this, actually, very matured Disney Channel movie! :)

A few watch outs for younger kids!

Though the quality of the singing is cringeworthy at times, the overall movie is entertaining. But I am so disappointed with the lyrics in Parents Lie, which mentions Santa Claus and the parents wrestling in bed. Is that really necessary, Disney?

Better than expected

Wonderful musical performances from it's cast make this an enjoyable reboot. There are of course strong messages of love and acceptance in this movie that will resonate with tweens, teens and parents alike. However, I would not recommend for younger children based on themes of parent loss and other more teen appropriate themes.

Not nearly close to original freaky friday

All song are so bland dull, not memorable at all, one one exception,, maybe the go song The story is cheap and lip synch so obvious In general i think disney should had invested those money in a soecial episode of jessie or cam rock 4

It’s an okay third reboot

This movie is a reboot of a reboot of a reboot of a movie. Yes, they have three reboots of the late 70s film now. That’s interesting. As for the movie, it’s about a teenage girl named Ellie and her mother who break a magical hourglass and switch bodies because of it. Unlike the 1976 version, the 1995 version, and the 2003 version, this version seems to be a musical. My son loves musicals so he was thrilled when he found this out! I do think that it has a nice portrayal of a mother and a teenage daughter living together at some points in the film. It does have good role models, as do most Disney films, from the TV channel or not, such as how hard the mother tries to be a good mother to Ellie. That was nice to see in this movie, but I think the other movies had the mom act similar. It’s quite similar but different from the other three movies, but probably the most forgettable. However its not a bad film, just a forgettable one.

Freaky Friday (2018) Review

Disney Channel has brought us a remake/reboot before in the past with Adventures in Babysitting, a film I actually enjoy alongside with my children. This is the fourth remake and is actually quite entertaining. Better then I thought it would have been. Offers some catchy songs and as always great messages, as every other Freaky Friday film does. The acting was okay, the best came from Cozi and Jason. Pretty good special effects for a made for television film. So overall the movie was better then I thought it would be. Great messages, some effective humor, and catchy songs. I'm going to give Freaky Friday a 6/10.