Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Fried Green Tomatoes

Heartwarming '90s classic has some language, violence.

Adult Written byLowe's man February 22, 2016

on the right side of history

Those who think or like to think that things were hunky-dory in this country before the 1960s and think that this was a nation filled with solid marriages until then will not be comforted by this movie, as it shows that spousal abuse and other problems that we associate with modern life existed in the 1930s as well. Ruth and Idgy were very brave to stand up to Ruth's abusive husband Frank. Women were empowered at a time when it was not popular for women to be portrayed this way. While racism was tolerated then, those who tolerated such behavior were portrayed in a negative light, as they should've been. Idgy, Ruth and those who championed the rights of blacks were rightly portrayed positively- and this was in the Southeast! Moreover, when Ninnie told Evelyn about her own life, she said that she kept her retarded son at a time when it would not have been popular or advisable to do so. When Ninnie told the story of Idgy and Ruth to Evelyn, she helped Evelyn deal with her own abusive husband. It must also be said that Ruth helped Idgy come out of herself. Idgy was there for Ruth until the day she died. This movie gives viewers a rough but general idea of life in the Southeast in the 1930s, even if in just an isolated case.
Adult Written byconstantvigilance June 26, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes

Good movie for older teens. Short scenes of domestic abuse and racial violence make the movie a little intense. A few sexual comments.

Adult Written byPoetic Ramblings January 8, 2014

A good adaptation of my favorite novel

While this movie glosses over the issues of gender, sexuality, and race at the center of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe it is still wonderful. Missing: Idgie and Ruth's love story, Idgie's folk hero status, Eva's 3 legged dog, Idgie's bout with alcoholism, Evelyn's neurosis and transformation, Big George's back story, and much more.
Parent of a 1 year old Written byHolly R. December 30, 2018

The secret's in the sauce.

A very good movie. The only problems I can see is that some characters are implied to be lesbian lovers and that might offend some people but it's not in your face it's only implied. The other reason is that the abusive husband may or may not have wound up as barbeque served up to a detective investigating the guys disappearance. Um tasty???

Adult Written byluella August 23, 2010

Perfect for preteens!

This movie is amazing! Best ever! But, there was racism.

Adult Written byNena1011 March 12, 2012

Inspirational Story

I think this story tells a wonderful story about a friendship that will never die. I love the way she stands up for herself and for her loved ones. She never backs down and believes in others. This story teaches not only to value what you have, but it also teaches us what things were really like in that time period. It is truely an inspirational story and I highly recommend it.

Parent Written byEduMom December 21, 2018

Parent of a 9 year old Written bycaseykranzler August 7, 2018

A wonderful way to teach your children to ALWAYS stand up for what is right.

Idgy Threadgood taught me to be proud of who I am, to be outspoken, and to always stand up for what is right. That is exactly what I want to teach my strong, loud, proud little girl. This movie explores racism in a way that isn't so much violence it is overwhelming for a child, but enough to get their point across about the characters.

Adult Written byCelestine E. June 7, 2018

Fried Green Tomatoes

I really liked the movie.