Parent reviews for From up on Poppy Hill

Inspiring, romantic coming-of-age tale about '60s teens.

Adult Written byDaniel L. July 31, 2020

For older kids; yet the best!

PG-13: mild insults and brief smoking
Adult Written bynduns November 17, 2013

Well, Goro, you might have some potential yet

Oh wait, Hayao actually helped him with this one. Even so, this is a very well-done film. It's intelligently-written, very believable and even tackles a very serious subject matter in a way that's not hamfisted and doesn't make the movie feel more for an older crowd. (Said subject being possible incest) Like most films from Ghibli, it does pace itself slowly, but in a way, that makes it kind of relaxing and refreshing. This is a very good film with good characters, good writing, great visuals and good music.

Adult Written bybarefootboy June 16, 2020

Our Family Loved It!

We've watched a number of Anime films as a family. We love the calm, slow pace of many films from the creators at GStudios (Ghibli) but struggle with those containing magic(Howl's Moving Castle, witchcraft(Mary and the Witch's Flower" or lots of violence (Princess Mononoke).

From up on Poppy Hill was free of all those offenses, was calming and had a great romantic tale. We've watched it multiple times in less than 3 months. It's that good!

Some viewers may be worried about the relationship brewing between the two young people in this film. Be assured, there is nothing physical and SPOILER, they're not actually related. That last part is good as I was worried about a movie containing a romantic interest which was incestual.

Give it a view, you'll love it.

Adult Written byDvini September 15, 2019

Adult Written byOliviaReviewsIt December 23, 2015

Dull Romance/Mystery from Ghibli Disappoints

From Up On Poppy Hill is a 90 minute long story of two teenage friends by the names of Umi and Shun whose pasts seem to have an interesting connection. They begin to develop romantic feelings for one another but after a strange revelation they are unsure about whether or not what they're doing is right. The story advances at an extremely slow pace, with many repetitive scenes. (I have yet to understand why this movie gets such great reviews.) While the movie is completely clean for audiences of all ages, it was meant for older teens/adults and will definitely not keep your kids engaged.
Parent of a 8 and 10-year-old Written bykhancock0 May 21, 2013

Uplifting, engaging story with beautiful animation

This is a beautifully animated story about maintaining traditions while also embracing the future, and about the power of young people when they are dedicated to a cause. It takes place in post WWII Tokyo, where the adults are trying to move forward while the young people (early high school age) want to keep their old but beautiful clubhouse. They kids eventually persuade the adults. The colors are gorgeous and the characters interesting in their independence and sense of responsibility--the lead girl gets up early to cook for the boarders in her home while her mom works in the US. They are positive role models. There's a bit of romance. The setting gave us an opportunity to talk about WWII and Japan. My 8 and 10 year old girls loved it and want to see it again.
Parent Written byalanteew May 8, 2013

Another Ghibli home run

A spectacular film beautifully animated, with solid, decent characters and a moving story. Not for adrenaline junkies.

Adult Written bymimijunebug April 6, 2013

Good Job Studio Ghibli

I think that it is romantic and I think Studio Ghibli put a lot of hard work into it!