Parent reviews for Frozen

Wintry Disney musical is fabulous celebration of sisterhood.

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byBookNerdMom December 27, 2013

Underwhelmed

Call me cynical, but I just don't see why commonsensemedia and so many other reviewers are raving about this film. It's not awful, but there are quite a few weak points. First and foremost, as a parent of daughters (ages 5 & 7), I think the way the female leads are presented is problematic. Both are typical Disney princesses--pretty, doe-eyed, wasp-waisted ingenues. While the focus on sibling love and loyalty instead of romantic love is a redeeming feature, I don't think that erases the fact that girls still get the message loud-and-clear, that being pretty is the most important thing about being a girl. The film also takes kids on an emotional roller coaster. My 7 year old was fine, but my 5 year old was a teary mess at the end. Why is it with Disney films that every emotion has to be so intense? It's the cinematic equivalent of reading a novel written in all-caps. As a film, there are also some significant flaws. For example, a significant character's sudden personality change seems like a forced plot device to bring the film to its climax. The film showed off Disney's might as an animation maestro, and sales of Frozen merchandise will clearly fill Disney's coffers. It seems clear that these are the two elements most important to Disney--with storytelling a distant third.
Adult Written bySunnyCA November 27, 2013

Good family movie for the holiday weekend

This was a good movie overall. I enjoyed how the "true love" message played out in a different way than usual. There is no real villain in the movie, and limited violence, but my 4-year old did get scared by the ice monster and wolves; there is also a scene where a girl punches a boy, which he didn't like. It felt more like a broadway musical than a typical cartoon film, but it was a nice change. I thought it was more of a girl movie, but all four boys I had with me (ages 4-11) really enjoyed it and were humming the tunes on the way home.

Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byDad__ January 7, 2014

Did I see the same movie as you guys?

Wow, the whole family (Mom, Dad, 5yo, 9yo, 12yo) disliked this one. What is up with the princess going up to the castle and suddenly dressed in a wholly inappropriate way? I would love an animated movie that did not involve becoming orphans. As the parent of an adopted child, it would be nice to have a movie with loving parents for once. I thought the whole concept that the younger sister FINALLY gets a day out and promptly spends it falling in love a lost opportunity. Could she just enjoy the town without having to find a Prince? As an adult I found this painful to sit through.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byVermillyn December 17, 2013

Parental deaths caused anxiety

without giving anything away, the parents both die at the begging of the film, leaving two sisters almost entirely alone in a castle. Within a week of seeing this film, my 6 1/2 year old started obsessing about us both dying, and what would happen to him (who would care for him). Until now, he's always seemed well adjusted, so I was surprised to see him reduced to tears by anxiety. In fact, it took me two weeks to realize what had caused his fears. Whilst not saying it's not age appropriate, I'd recommend you think about the developmental stage of your child before seeing this film. By 6-7 reality is being cemented and the more realistic events can be generalized to oneself. Death is again touched on later in the film, and it's not natural causes.... I've had to field several questions on this front, too. On a personal note, I felt this film was created in tandem with the musical theater production that's sure to arise. The characters burst into song unnecessarily, and I found this tedious. My son enjoyed the film at the time, but (apart from the ongoing anxiety) forgot it soon afterwards.
Adult Written bySandripuce December 16, 2013

A few good moments but overal very inconstant movie

I didn't like this movie at all. There is way too much singing at the beginning. I didnt like the role that girls play; Anna looks like a young naive girl who'se goal in life is to meet a men and fall in love. She meets a boy and the same night, falls in love and decides to get married! And even though we are never told the age of the character, I assumed Anna was around 15-16; the idea that such a young girl would get married is quite disturbing. Many times, the character have innapropriate and corny outfits (especially Elsa's white dress in her ice castle). The little snow man is very funny and saves the show but somewhat, he doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the movie. Overall, it is a very inconstant movie and I wouldnt recommand it, especially if you have daughters and like me you try to select movies with positive female characters.
Parent Written bycourtwork December 13, 2013

A Pleasant Surprise

I am pleasantly surprised by this movie. For the most part, it's good clean fun for families and kids. My 7 year old loved it and has been pretending to be Elsa ever since. She said, "You know why I like this movie, Mom? Because there's no prince with a kiss - her sister saves her!" My almost 11 year old son also really enjoyed it. The animation is beautiful, and the characters are well balanced and relevant. Both of my kids loved the character of the snowman, Olaf. The story is sweet, there is no real villain, and the singing is contemporary and lovely. The musical element is also well proportioned - the action and plot are not interrupted by the singing, they are actually enhanced by it. Even for adults, the movie is engaging and entertaining. The positive messages include: don't marry a guy you just met, true love can be sisterly love, and fear is destructive and can turn a person's gift into a curse, but love and acceptance can turn our gifts into beauty. One complex element that is not addressed is that young Elsa remains in fear and isolation because of her parents' reaction to her power, not because of her power itself. A four year old sitting behind us in the theater was whimpering during some of the action scenes; the characters are in peril at times, so little ones may be afraid. The elements I don't care for about this film for kids are: the sisters are very skinny, and Elsa's liberation is unnecessarily sexualized. My 7 year old noticed how skinny the sisters are, and we talked about that they clearly are not meant to be real people because you never see people with giant heads and tiny bodies walking around. Also, as Elsa stops trying to control her powers and uses them to create beauty, she sings the song "Let It Go." During the song and her transformation, her cartoon character is converted from a sad and controlled young woman in a high necked gown into a very sexy character, wearing an updated lower cut, sheer dress, including swishing hips, more makeup, and a knowing expression. The idea that freedom from your fears and converting your gift into beauty means becoming sexy and wearing stilettos while walking around in an ice castle is absurd, especially for little girls. That part demeans the beautiful message it is attempting to convey, in my opinion. Having said that, Frozen is an improvement on the usual itinerary of the Princess story line. I recommend this movie for families, and I believe it will be right up there with the other Disney favorites. The powers that be will make a mint releasing this just before Christmas, because little girls will want to dress up as Elsa and Anna, and have the toys associated with the movie. All in all, this movie is great, and an improvement on the usual Disney theme, but the misguided message of sexy = liberated for women, and consumerism are still very prevalent.

Parent Written byReikiTerri January 21, 2014

Dissapointed

Many of the other reviews here cover the obvious pros and cons well, but I'm surprised not to see two of the musical numbers mentioned. Early in the film when an accident happens because of the older daughter's "powers", she sings at length about "push it down, don't feel" etc. She even goes to the lengths of wearing gloves her whole life to avoid the issue. Although this comes to resolution an hour later in the film, I thought it was a terrible message about how to deal with things that are scary or emotionally challenging/troubling.. Huge missed opportunity to send a better message to kids about dealing with their differences or challenges openly and in the moment; and talking about your troubles - instead of shoving them down and away and not dealing with them for years. Then later in the film, there's a terrible musical number called "He's Just a Fixer Upper" that basically teaches/promotes the idea that boys are broken - but the right girl can fix them right up. (?!?) Children learn about social constructs from these films, shame on you Disney for not taking the opportunity to introduce a healthier approach to understanding gifts/challenges that individuals have, and gender stereotypes.
Parent of a 1 and 6 year old Written bySaraP 1 October 8, 2014

Made for adults

Aside from the adorable characters and great music, the only other good thing is that one sister saves the other. There is cheating, using people, and shunning from parents all through it. It is not a movie that teaches your child that they can count on you and that it is ok to fall in love. It teaches that its ok to entertain feelings for another person when you are committed, and that people will use and abuse you if you give them the chance. Very very sad and very disappointed that people are so blinded by the glitz and publicity and don't really care about the messages that our children are seeing.

Adult Written byakparent November 29, 2013

Great movie-positive message-a few warnings

I was very pleasantly suprised by this movie! It was actually really good. A throwback to the Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast days-so expect lots of singing. If you liked Tangled, you will really like this and I think it has an even more positive message than Tangled. In addition, the story is really brought full circle and very little in the way of character development is left unsaid. Concerns for me: There is a scary snow monster that is far to scary, but plays a shortish part. The first 20 minutes sets up the story, but is VERY sad (we were all crying), but the Princess Anna character does a great job of pulling you back into her present reality, rather than dwelling on the past. When one of the princesses has a turning point in the story-they really transform her look from this sweet, well dressed, classy innocent young woman to a very sexy look, including a very tight dress with a slit up the leg. I think the worst part of the movie would be the old school mickey mouse short that was played at the beginning. Kids will laugh at the slapstick style humor, but it is extremely violent! So warning on that for sure. Overall a great movie that we will watch again!

Adult Written byJavabeanMochabean January 6, 2014

Skip the "short" before the beginning of Frozen.

The short animated film (Mickey Mouse) at the beginning was "modernized" to be more graphic. My 4 year old son was so upset by the short that he did not want to stay for the main feature! He said it was too scary and mean. He especially did not like the character popping out of the screen. He also said that he thought Mickey Mouse was supposed to be "nice"? Not for preschoolers! What was Disney thinking? They trashed a classic with the "modernization".

Parent of a 6 year old Written byHoliztic December 13, 2013

Good, but Disney-intense!

Frozen is a really visually beautiful movie with some good messages about sisterly love and connection, I really enjoyed it. However, it has all the high intensity of the Disney movies and I personally do not think it is appropriate for most kids under 6 and only some at 6. My son is nearly 7 and slightly sensitive to media drama, but he handled it pretty well. Not scared, but overwhelmed by the first 20 minutes, which were hard-hitting intensity, darkness, and sadness. I wish these movies weren't quite so serious!

Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byNLHolly December 7, 2013

Great movie, a little dark and complex at times

Overall the movie was excellent. Great music, nice humour, strong storyline. Transient scary scenes for my sensitive kids included the boat containing the girls' parents going down at sea, the wolves attacking Kristoff's sled, the Ice Monster, a bit of fighting. There was blessedly little social aggression and name calling relative to many movies (except from Hans at the end). There were many mature themes around unintentional harm (Elsa of Anna), death (of the parents, a character sentenced to death, attempts to kill characters, a character who almost dies), and the fragility of relationships that were confusing for my 4-year-old, over the head of my 2-year-old. My husband and I thought the the vintage Disney pre-show that included Pete lusting after, grabbing, and assaulting Minnie Mouse before having a variety of violence visited upon him by Mickey and friends was really awful... but we might be those parents who overthink these things. Our kids seemed to find the physical comedy of it quite funny.

Parent of a 3, 10, and 10 year old Written bychaney79 December 11, 2013

"Pretty" magic is still magic

I feel the need to add my 2 cents about the magic. We are a family that tries to avoid magic/sorcery in our entertainment and this movie was FULL of it. It was "pretty" magic not like some of your darker evil witches. Still if you are a family that avoids magic, avoid this movie. It will suck you in. I also really disliked the first 10 minutes, it was very fast and very sad. The music was beautiful.

Parent Written bytwinangel December 7, 2013

A definite crowd pleaser!

This was a wonderful film to watch with my daughter and her friend. The heartwarming ending left me smiling days later. The action isn't too intense for little ones and just enough to keep older ones watching. The musical score was great. Even the older brothers dragged along were laughing at Sven and Olaf's antics. I plan to buy the CD as well as the DVD. Naturally, Disney has marketed a ton of clothes, toys and books that will have children begging for stuff they likely don't need.

Parent of a 7 year old Written bywill'smom December 9, 2013

My son loves this movie!

My son's words as we left: "If this was a book and I was a judge, I'd give it a medal!" (referring to the Caldecot medals his class has been learning about.) We really enjoyed this flick. We went with another mom and son dup and both boys had a wonderful time. Hearing after this was a "Disney Princess" movie, the boys were shocked and argued it couldn't be, because they enjoyed it too much! *Spoiler Alert* Having the movie focus so deeply on the love between the girls and showing the primary heroine effectively save herself through loving her sister was a phenomenal break from the passive love stories of the past. This is movie worth seeing with your kids, no matter their gender, and then discussing the impact of love and family. Side note: just today (almost a week after seeing it), my son asked if we can buy it on dvd when it comes out so that he can show it to his dad. :)

Parent of a 8 year old Written byMerc December 14, 2013

Wonderful movie

Disney knocked it out of the park with this one. The music is beautiful and the characters are all memorable and fun. The movie is gorgeous visually and should win an award. Great movie for kids of all ages.
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written bysingj November 29, 2013

Way better than the previews would have you believe!

What a delightful surprise, and what delightful twists and turns the story takes to the refreshingly unconventional ending! One subtle joke about the size of the protagonists' fiancé's feet, and a quick response implying that size doesn't matter - right over the heads of the little ones, but a slightly naughty aside for the adults in the audience. Not too scary. A great movie for girls in particular, with strong female leads and surprisingly deep themes relating to love and fear. Loved it!

Parent Written bydominiquetta September 16, 2014

Cross Bows aimed at young women - Frozen

I read a number of reviews to see if this was appropriate for my nearly 5 yr old son. It seems it is popular for all ages. It shocked me that many people did not report the violence against women in this movie. Yes there are wolves, yes there is a freaky ice monster, and uhum there are 2 scenes where women are targetted for gruesome killing- once with 2 men attacking with cross bows and the other was a sword attack. This also reflects back to us the present state of how women are still persecuted. If this is a topic of exploration great, but if we are just feeding this to little girls... hmmm... questionable dont you think. Also my great concern about this myth is that Elsa is not helped to understand her powers by an elder, she is left alone to feel isolated and depressed. What message is that sending our kids? This movie overall is a Disney romp that feeds drama addiction and whilst having redeeming features - sisterhood and a cute snowman with the best moral line in the story, it does need a lot of debrief about the characters. And i agree with some else- Whats with the doe-eye big boob tiny waist stylisation for the main character? We are feeding our girls poor body images from very young! This is not for 4 and 5 year olds this is for 7 or 8 yr olds or older...

Parent of a 2, 5, 7, and 7 year old Written byFowlerFan January 10, 2014

Not what I expected

I had seen the trailer for this movie several times in 2013 while at the theatre for other releases. The actual movie was a surprise for me, I did not expect it to be what it turned out. I found the trailer showed it to be more of a comedy with the snowman playing a large role. In fact, it wasn't as much a comedy as I thought it would be. I also had no clue that it was a musical (maybe I missed that in the trailer). There was definitely more of a dark edge to this. ** SPOILER ALERT ** ... at one point we see one character leave another one to die. That's somewhat intense. It's a good movie, enjoyable. I had a 5 year old who was 'okay' with it, but if I'd seen the movie ahead of time, I might've waited until he was a year older, or at least prepped him ahead of time for some of the scarier content. FWIW, he said he enjoyed the movie, and didn't seem scarred for life :) My 7 year olds had no issues, and enjoyed it.

Adult Written byArt Isall April 26, 2014

Very scary and horrible message throughout

I was very disappointed that the horrible message that was repeated so many times, "Don't show what you feel, don't let them see, hide, hide, hide your talents" was never properly addressed to balance the movies message out overall. I felt that there was so much emphasis put on the negative message and then the end came very quickly and they just glossed over the good message. My 5 year old is very sensitive but this was a movie he just could not get into. There were far too many scary parts for him to relax into the story. The long sequence where they are growing up and the older sister is shut away and always isolated and the younger sister is also always isolated was infuriating to watch. When I read the original story I was shocked to learn that that is not what the original is about at all. I felt they put too many of the old fashioned crappy ways into this movie and did not make the time to explain to the children watching that the right thing to do IS to show your feelings and talents and to be different and all that. In the end the movie comes out "alright" but I felt it could have been much more balanced.