Parent reviews for Frozen 2

Slightly darker sequel charms with catchy songs, messages.

Parent of a 12 and 14-year-old Written byJulie St-F November 21, 2019

Beautiful, Enchanting and Layered

Bottom Line: The film will bring back the magic for your t(w)een, who was a fan of the original. But, it could be too intense for preschoolers. There are some spoilers below in the full review.

Full Review: While it had some great songs, and I thought better instrumental music, I still like the music from the original better. The reprise of "Into the Unknown" at the end of the movie is sung by Panic! At the Disco - clearly meant to appeal to the original Frozen fans, who are now tweens and teens.

The adventure plot was great - but it felt like to counter the intense action Disney shoe horned some jokes in there. And while the jokes were funny, the abrupt change in tone didn't quite sit with me. As with all Disney movies, the jokes land just as well with teens and adults as they do with toddlers- albeit for different reasons.

It was visually very beautiful. There were moments where the water droplets on screen looked real. Anna and Elsa's dresses make me wish I could swan about in princess dresses all day, and the forest setting is both beautiful and well, magic.

There are a tonne of amazing messages in there. Yes, Anna and Elsa are awesome role models for girls. But we need to talk more about how awesome Christoph is. I don't want to give spoilers, but basically at the end Anna's like, "Sorry for just kinda running off and leaving you there, I had to go save my sister." And Christoph says, "No, I get it. She's your sister, and I'm more secure than that."

Also, the Indigenous representation. The song, "Vuelie" from the original was actually composed by a Saami artist. They bring it back in Frozen 2, bigger and better. This time, Disney knew there was going to be a plot that touched on exploitation of Indigenous people, so they actually signed an agreement with the Saami to ensure that the imaginary Nordlander people were a good representation of Indigenous people - but not directly ripping off Saami culture. As a Canadian, there is so much talk about Reconciliation, I loved watching a kid's movie that wove those ideas in so well. It's something to talk about with your kids - especially the older ones.

Finally, I will say it again. This movie is probably a little much for preschoolers. My 12 and 14 year old thought it was "intense and scary." The conflict is intense, and scary. And... at one point, it really seems like Olaf - and possibly even Elsa - are goners. Like, Anna sings a song about grief, and there is a snowman grave.

The very youngest kids in the audience didn't seem to pick up on Olaf's magical demise. Older kids will realize that this is a Disney film, and everyone will have a happy ending. But some of the more kindergarten aged kids did realize what was happening with Olaf, but didn't quite have the confidence of, "Oh, I've seen 50 Disney movies, and they all have happy endings, so Olaf's gonna be fine." If you've watched the trailers, and any part of you thinks it might be too much, my advice is to invest the money you'd have spent on tickets and popcorn in a yearly Disney + subscription, and know that Frozen 2 will be on there probably by summer time.

Parent of a 6-year-old Written byjwestra7 November 27, 2019

Not Frozen

This would be good if you go into it expecting it to be Frozen for older kids/tweens. It was marketed for little kids, and I believed it would be similar to the first movie in the amount of fun, suspense, humor, good songs etc. While a good movie, my 6 yr old was scared, sad, and overwhelmed by a lot of it. It had very dark moments, too much for younger kiddos. You could hear upset other kiddos in the theater. Another reviewer commented rightfully so about psychological aspects of the movie. If I had known, I would have taken only my 11 yr old. I’d give it more stars if the previews hadn’t been so deceiving.
Parent of a 8-year-old Written byStitzels November 24, 2019

Storyline feels Eerie might leave kids confused

Listen It’s ok , but little kids might not be as happy with it as is not uplifting like last one. Mostly all songs are a bit too on the slow sad side , lots of magic and dark moments referring death. Might be more entertaining to adults than to kids. Watched it with my 5,9 and 13 year old and even my eldest was looking at me laughing about how dark the filmed felt. The only one that saved the film was Olaf and he’s funny songs . My 39 year old husband really liked it.
Adult Written bymomtherapist November 23, 2019

Way too scary--Disney you clearly need to hire me

90% of this movie is intense peril and danger. I do not understand why Disney is making movies like this for a 3-8 year old girl demographic. They clearly don't understand ANYTHING about child development nor do they have any psychologists on staff, and should probably hire me. There were so many missed opportunities for girl empowerment in this movie which they filled with the same old peril. It wasn't even exciting peril, I was bored out of my mind viewing the same formula as every other movie they make. I am officially done with showing my kids Disney movies after seeing this.

Parent of a 6-year-old Written byRYmom November 22, 2019

Scary for sensitive kids

My daughter is very sensitive to violence in movies. She wanted to see this because her friends were going. She spent a good portion of the movie with a jacket over her head.
I found some of the themes to be complex and hard to follow. But enjoyable to watch.

Adult Written bygranim December 5, 2019

Violent and scary for little ones

My almost 6 year old thought it was scary and we had to leave at a sad scene in the end that was too much for him. I personally really enjoyed it, but it's not for the young ones. The theme is much darker, and the twist at the end is very mature for a childrens movie.
Adult Written byari.ab November 24, 2019

Why Frozen 2 is a Must-See for Every Member of the Family

**spoilers ahead!!

Frozen 2 thoroughly encapsulated the struggle of self-discovery through the use of intense graphics, a theatrical soundtrack, and a ravishing storyline. Best of all, it most likely captured the heart of every soul who's already watched it - for children and adults alike.

Every scene of the Frozen sequel left me in a complete state of awe and fascination. I was surprised to find that it largely revolved around the 4 classical elements,- water, fire, air, and earth. It began with a flashback, where Anna and Elsa happily played in their room before being lulled to sleep by their lovable parents,- the king and queen of Arendalle. Even before the movie formally began, this flashback alluded to events that would later unfold through an emotional lullaby sung by the queen. It was no mystery that this lullaby would make an appearance again later in the movie, as everything from its message to its majestic tune was enough to label it as significant.

When first introduced to present day Elsa and Anna, they cheerfully sing a catchy song along with the other characters including adorable Kristof and legendary Olaf. Everything about the graphics in this movie is utterly breathtaking. Arendalle looks alive and beautiful, with its plentiful trees orange and green and its people flourishing and well. However, like with any movie,- there’s a problem. Elsa begins to hear a strange, enchanting hum that lures her more and more everyday. This hum begins to be too much to handle, as it prevents her from getting any sleep and living peacefully. Therefore, one night, she heads outside to figure out what it is that’s calling her, and of course does so through an extraordinary performance of the song “Into the Unknown.”

Moving away from the plot, Frozen 2 was definitely not as kid-friendly as its predecessor in regards to its overall message and storyline. For one thing, Frozen 2 goes into everything including grief to identity confusion and transformation. It dives head-first into complicated notions such as the past and sacrifice, all while touching upon the quest to finding yourself. I was amazed at the way in which Frozen 2 effectively explored this concept of self-realization, while also maintaining to keep its younger viewers entertained with its breathtaking numbers and impeccable directing. But, once again, I was stunned to find that this movie more so worked to impact its older viewers by engaging us in a journey through the Enchanted Forest. There’s also the magical river, with its waters “so deep and true,” that simply facing it is a difficult task that can only be done by one who displays enough strength.

We find out crucial information about Anna and Elsa’s parents as well, with Elsa breaking down during one point due to the fact that she feels responsible for their tragic deaths. We learn that their parents died while setting sail to this magical river, in hopes of finding out the truth about Elsa’s powers. With the help of a mystical salamander and the natives that live within the Enchanted Forest, Elsa was able to figure out that the voice calling to her was coming from this exact dangerous body of water. Without another thought, she heads out to the river, eager to settle disputes about the past and find the person who’s been luring her. But, what she finds out was nothing like what she imagined: she’s been looking for herself this entire time. The angelic voice of her mother had taken her to this isolated destination, where she tells Elsa through a powerful song that she’s been looking for herself the entire time. This scene was incredible in every sense, it’s intense visuals and captivating message sending shivers through my entire body. Furthermore, the emotional masterpiece “Show Yourself,” that accompanied it added to its ferocity and utter charm. The scene was truly one for the books,- and it’s a must-see for every single Disney lover. Once again, I don’t understand how a movie geared towards kids was able to have such an immense impact on older people like me. This pivotal, transformative scene was followed by an even more riveting sequence of events, as Elsa then continues to learn about the past and relive childhood memories through a walk in this odd glacier.

One more thing I must include in this discussion is the repetition of the quote: “Water holds memory.” This idea is first introduced by Olaf, as he attempts to enliven the spirits of the rest of the characters through a game of trivia. However, this quote proves to be rather important as it comes up numerous times throughout the duration of the movie- one of which was when Elsa walked through memories of the past in a glacier, which is of course, made of water. Additionally, this quote came up again when Olaf, (who "died" during part of the movie when Elsa froze), was once again rebuilt by Elsa when she came back to life. The bottom line is: water holding memory was what allowed Anna and Elsa to learn about their past through their grand adventure. Olaf also served an extremely valuable part in the movie, as the whole time he reassured himself of how one day everything will make sense once he grows old and becomes mature. I found this to be quite satirical, as we all well know that growing older doesn’t necessarily mean everything in life starts to make sense,- rather,- everything gets even more confusing.

Overall, Frozen 2 strongly centered on important concepts such as the past, courage, and identity. Its phenomenal soundtrack and empowering plot is enough to set it apart from any other sequel created by Disney. It's a beautiful movie with an even more beautiful message.

Adult Written byGjirvine3000 November 23, 2019

Careful with the little ones

Visually stunning, lots of great messages, hugely action packed and an emotional rollercoaster of a movie that never lets up. This was the problem for me and my Frozen obsessed 4.5 year old though. The movie is relentless. After a lengthy intro which is over-stuffed with songs that set up each of the characters own personal priorities, it settles into threat after threat for the main characters for an hour. This includes levels of threat and danger than my 4.5 year old found really too much. Not criticising the filmmakers as my daughter is a 2nd generation Frozen fan really and I don't blame them for making the movie appeal to the kids who really grew up with the franchise from the beginning. I'd just advise a word of caution for the little ones (I'd say under 7, or even sensitive kids under 10)- this is not a movie for toddlers and early school kids. There is just an ever-present sense of very heavy ominous threat throughout, bar a few moments of comedy from Olaf and some lightness at the very end. It's not really that any single moment is terrifying in itself, the problem is more the relentless and unyielding nature of threat after threat and a dark and foreboding atmosphere that is generated early on and never really releases its grip. It's also quite complex for little ones to fully understand, the story is complex and has lots of call backs to events in the past. My 4.5 year old was always going to see this,n there was no way I could ever make her wait a couple of years, so it is what it is. One silver lining is that I expect her to love it when we come back to it in a few years. Until then, everyone is trying to forget it for now. Let it go!

Adult Written byKHS88 December 2, 2019

A Bit Sad and Scary

My 6 year old, who loved Frozen 1, had some tearful moments during Frozen 2 and at one point I thought we would have to leave the theater but I kept saying, "don't worry it's going to have a happy ending". My child felt that many parts of Frozen 2 were sad and scary. I have to agree with that...from the perspective of a 6 year old I can absolutely understand how it was sad and scary. I was not expecting it to be dark or intense at all but it truly was. A little disappointed.
Adult Written byEngelk89 November 22, 2019

Surprised that I wasn’t let down.

I was prepared to be let down by this movie, but I may even like it more than the original. Frozen was about Anna, now Frozen 2 is about Elsa and her origins. It is also about finding out the truth about yourself and where you belong. The person calling to Elsa, who she has been searching for ends up being her true self. & I’m happy to say that Elsa is still a strong independent woman, becoming something like a Norse goddess. (& Nothing against the lgbt community, but I was gonna be pissed if the first time we get a princess who’s story isn’t about being saved by a man, it’s only because she’s gay.) My 3 year old liked it - but the themes are a little over her head, that’s why the 5&up rating.

Adult Written byDoesifer November 22, 2019

Commercialism

Extreme consumerism- if you have a greedy/ spoiled child be prepared to have Disney's frozen 2 merchandise shoved down your throat and drain your oockets.

Adult Written byAimeeobe November 22, 2019

Disappointing

The story line could have been much better.
My 9 year old daughter thought it was ok but had a hard time following it at times. I found it quite boring and was very disappointed. Disney definitely could have and should have produced a better sequel to Frozen.
Adult Written bylit November 20, 2019

what the flip

this movie is NOT lit.

Adult Written bybluebenboy January 5, 2020

Great movie, recommend for older kids

I've seen a lot of comments talking about how Frozen 2 is bad because it shows too much violence for kids under 9 or 10 but that's only because the original audience has grown up. Putting that aside, go watch this, it is amazing just like the first movie.

Adult Written byStellaAcapella January 4, 2020

Frankly, a mess

I was really looking forward to watching this movie with my kids. Frozen has so much going for it--positive messages of girl empowerment, sister love, great music. Frozen 2 was such a disappointment in this regard. Yes, it is visually stunning. The movie seemed written to maximize cinematic opportunity, and visually it is beautiful. But that's about all it has going for it. The plot just fell apart. I think they were trying to get across a lot of Messages, but the plot was totally confusing. (**Spoilers ahead) Elsa's an element spirit? Whaaat? The music is lame. What disappointed me most was the messaging around male and female roles. Kristoff declares his love for Anna in a musical number, and the filmmakers turn in into a joke. Sorry, but we don't need any more movies making fun of boys having actual feelings. And Anna gets the engagement ring in the end. Blah. Can't we come up with another ending for a fairy tale? This movie was a bummer.
Adult Written bylpetlock December 5, 2019

Boring rehash. Dark at times. Loses spontaneous nature of the original.

Boring rehash. Dark at times. Loses spontaneous nature of the original.
Adult Written bySnosty January 2, 2020

Better with the folklore!

Absolutely beautiful work. Plot was much more intricate and less predictable than #1, visually stunning, paid better reverence to Germanic/Nordic storytelling. A+++

Adult Written byMadoka K. November 24, 2019

Not that good

Sure, the visuals and songs were great, but the plot was a mess (they tried too many things that didn't make sense) and there was little character development. It was obvious they only made it to make a quick buck.
Adult Written bymomtothreeandpup November 23, 2019

A little suprised..... not in a good way.

I watched Frozen back in the day with my kids, so I was anticipating really enjoying Frozen 2. I was very surprised throughout the movie, Elsa continues to conjure up communication with spirits of the earth, wind, fire and water, and talks and sings about how to communicate with these spirits. If you understand at all, even an ounce of what this is representing and what she is doing, it is very demonic. She says she has heard these voices since she was little and they have been calling to her since then. She finally becomes who she is "meant to be" after her final completion of connection with the spirits of the earth, wind, fire and water, and exemplifies complete power as a representative of all of them. SO..... If I had young children, I would not take them, or I would walk out. My children are not children and understand this is very demonic. This cute way of showing how to connect with spirits of the earth through song and talking, calling out to the spirits is subtly teaching children how to do it themselves, and when you do, they will show you things that happened in the past and you are able to reconnect with those things and people (yes, Elsa did this in the movie). As long as you completely understand what is the undercurrent of this movie and are not blindsided by this subtle undertone.
Adult Written byFixyourbrain January 14, 2020

Frozen 2 was trash

Frozen 2 was beyond terrible. I give it a 1/5 stars. Storyline was not of any interest. The singing was trash. Disney used this movie to just make money on us and gave us nothing in return. Waste of time!