Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Frozen 2

Slightly darker sequel charms with catchy songs, messages.

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byJulie St-F November 21, 2019

Beautiful, Enchanting and Layered

Bottom Line: The film will bring back the magic for your t(w)een, who was a fan of the original. But, it could be too intense for preschoolers. There are some spoilers below in the full review.

Full Review: While it had some great songs, and I thought better instrumental music, I still like the music from the original better. The reprise of "Into the Unknown" at the end of the movie is sung by Panic! At the Disco - clearly meant to appeal to the original Frozen fans, who are now tweens and teens.

The adventure plot was great - but it felt like to counter the intense action Disney shoe horned some jokes in there. And while the jokes were funny, the abrupt change in tone didn't quite sit with me. As with all Disney movies, the jokes land just as well with teens and adults as they do with toddlers- albeit for different reasons.

It was visually very beautiful. There were moments where the water droplets on screen looked real. Anna and Elsa's dresses make me wish I could swan about in princess dresses all day, and the forest setting is both beautiful and well, magic.

There are a tonne of amazing messages in there. Yes, Anna and Elsa are awesome role models for girls. But we need to talk more about how awesome Christoph is. I don't want to give spoilers, but basically at the end Anna's like, "Sorry for just kinda running off and leaving you there, I had to go save my sister." And Christoph says, "No, I get it. She's your sister, and I'm more secure than that."

Also, the Indigenous representation. The song, "Vuelie" from the original was actually composed by a Saami artist. They bring it back in Frozen 2, bigger and better. This time, Disney knew there was going to be a plot that touched on exploitation of Indigenous people, so they actually signed an agreement with the Saami to ensure that the imaginary Nordlander people were a good representation of Indigenous people - but not directly ripping off Saami culture. As a Canadian, there is so much talk about Reconciliation, I loved watching a kid's movie that wove those ideas in so well. It's something to talk about with your kids - especially the older ones.

Finally, I will say it again. This movie is probably a little much for preschoolers. My 12 and 14 year old thought it was "intense and scary." The conflict is intense, and scary. And... at one point, it really seems like Olaf - and possibly even Elsa - are goners. Like, Anna sings a song about grief, and there is a snowman grave.

The very youngest kids in the audience didn't seem to pick up on Olaf's magical demise. Older kids will realize that this is a Disney film, and everyone will have a happy ending. But some of the more kindergarten aged kids did realize what was happening with Olaf, but didn't quite have the confidence of, "Oh, I've seen 50 Disney movies, and they all have happy endings, so Olaf's gonna be fine." If you've watched the trailers, and any part of you thinks it might be too much, my advice is to invest the money you'd have spent on tickets and popcorn in a yearly Disney + subscription, and know that Frozen 2 will be on there probably by summer time.

Adult Written byari.ab November 24, 2019

Why Frozen 2 is a Must-See for Every Member of the Family

**spoilers ahead!!

Frozen 2 thoroughly encapsulated the struggle of self-discovery through the use of intense graphics, a theatrical soundtrack, and a ravishing storyline. Best of all, it most likely captured the heart of every soul who's already watched it - for children and adults alike.

Every scene of the Frozen sequel left me in a complete state of awe and fascination. I was surprised to find that it largely revolved around the 4 classical elements,- water, fire, air, and earth. It began with a flashback, where Anna and Elsa happily played in their room before being lulled to sleep by their lovable parents,- the king and queen of Arendalle. Even before the movie formally began, this flashback alluded to events that would later unfold through an emotional lullaby sung by the queen. It was no mystery that this lullaby would make an appearance again later in the movie, as everything from its message to its majestic tune was enough to label it as significant.

When first introduced to present day Elsa and Anna, they cheerfully sing a catchy song along with the other characters including adorable Kristof and legendary Olaf. Everything about the graphics in this movie is utterly breathtaking. Arendalle looks alive and beautiful, with its plentiful trees orange and green and its people flourishing and well. However, like with any movie,- there’s a problem. Elsa begins to hear a strange, enchanting hum that lures her more and more everyday. This hum begins to be too much to handle, as it prevents her from getting any sleep and living peacefully. Therefore, one night, she heads outside to figure out what it is that’s calling her, and of course does so through an extraordinary performance of the song “Into the Unknown.”

Moving away from the plot, Frozen 2 was definitely not as kid-friendly as its predecessor in regards to its overall message and storyline. For one thing, Frozen 2 goes into everything including grief to identity confusion and transformation. It dives head-first into complicated notions such as the past and sacrifice, all while touching upon the quest to finding yourself. I was amazed at the way in which Frozen 2 effectively explored this concept of self-realization, while also maintaining to keep its younger viewers entertained with its breathtaking numbers and impeccable directing. But, once again, I was stunned to find that this movie more so worked to impact its older viewers by engaging us in a journey through the Enchanted Forest. There’s also the magical river, with its waters “so deep and true,” that simply facing it is a difficult task that can only be done by one who displays enough strength.

We find out crucial information about Anna and Elsa’s parents as well, with Elsa breaking down during one point due to the fact that she feels responsible for their tragic deaths. We learn that their parents died while setting sail to this magical river, in hopes of finding out the truth about Elsa’s powers. With the help of a mystical salamander and the natives that live within the Enchanted Forest, Elsa was able to figure out that the voice calling to her was coming from this exact dangerous body of water. Without another thought, she heads out to the river, eager to settle disputes about the past and find the person who’s been luring her. But, what she finds out was nothing like what she imagined: she’s been looking for herself this entire time. The angelic voice of her mother had taken her to this isolated destination, where she tells Elsa through a powerful song that she’s been looking for herself the entire time. This scene was incredible in every sense, it’s intense visuals and captivating message sending shivers through my entire body. Furthermore, the emotional masterpiece “Show Yourself,” that accompanied it added to its ferocity and utter charm. The scene was truly one for the books,- and it’s a must-see for every single Disney lover. Once again, I don’t understand how a movie geared towards kids was able to have such an immense impact on older people like me. This pivotal, transformative scene was followed by an even more riveting sequence of events, as Elsa then continues to learn about the past and relive childhood memories through a walk in this odd glacier.

One more thing I must include in this discussion is the repetition of the quote: “Water holds memory.” This idea is first introduced by Olaf, as he attempts to enliven the spirits of the rest of the characters through a game of trivia. However, this quote proves to be rather important as it comes up numerous times throughout the duration of the movie- one of which was when Elsa walked through memories of the past in a glacier, which is of course, made of water. Additionally, this quote came up again when Olaf, (who "died" during part of the movie when Elsa froze), was once again rebuilt by Elsa when she came back to life. The bottom line is: water holding memory was what allowed Anna and Elsa to learn about their past through their grand adventure. Olaf also served an extremely valuable part in the movie, as the whole time he reassured himself of how one day everything will make sense once he grows old and becomes mature. I found this to be quite satirical, as we all well know that growing older doesn’t necessarily mean everything in life starts to make sense,- rather,- everything gets even more confusing.

Overall, Frozen 2 strongly centered on important concepts such as the past, courage, and identity. Its phenomenal soundtrack and empowering plot is enough to set it apart from any other sequel created by Disney. It's a beautiful movie with an even more beautiful message.

Adult Written bymomtherapist November 23, 2019

Way too scary--Disney you clearly need to hire me

90% of this movie is intense peril and danger. I do not understand why Disney is making movies like this for a 3-8 year old girl demographic. They clearly don't understand ANYTHING about child development nor do they have any psychologists on staff, and should probably hire me. There were so many missed opportunities for girl empowerment in this movie which they filled with the same old peril. It wasn't even exciting peril, I was bored out of my mind viewing the same formula as every other movie they make. I am officially done with showing my kids Disney movies after seeing this.

Adult Written byEngelk89 November 22, 2019

Surprised that I wasn’t let down.

I was prepared to be let down by this movie, but I may even like it more than the original. Frozen was about Anna, now Frozen 2 is about Elsa and her origins. It is also about finding out the truth about yourself and where you belong. The person calling to Elsa, who she has been searching for ends up being her true self. & I’m happy to say that Elsa is still a strong independent woman, becoming something like a Norse goddess. (& Nothing against the lgbt community, but I was gonna be pissed if the first time we get a princess who’s story isn’t about being saved by a man, it’s only because she’s gay.) My 3 year old liked it - but the themes are a little over her head, that’s why the 5&up rating.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byStitzels November 24, 2019

Storyline feels Eerie might leave kids confused

Listen It’s ok , but little kids might not be as happy with it as is not uplifting like last one. Mostly all songs are a bit too on the slow sad side , lots of magic and dark moments referring death. Might be more entertaining to adults than to kids. Watched it with my 5,9 and 13 year old and even my eldest was looking at me laughing about how dark the filmed felt. The only one that saved the film was Olaf and he’s funny songs . My 39 year old husband really liked it.
Adult Written byGjirvine3000 November 23, 2019

Careful with the little ones

Visually stunning, lots of great messages, hugely action packed and an emotional rollercoaster of a movie that never lets up. This was the problem for me and my Frozen obsessed 4.5 year old though. The movie is relentless. After a lengthy intro which is over-stuffed with songs that set up each of the characters own personal priorities, it settles into threat after threat for the main characters for an hour. This includes levels of threat and danger than my 4.5 year old found really too much. Not criticising the filmmakers as my daughter is a 2nd generation Frozen fan really and I don't blame them for making the movie appeal to the kids who really grew up with the franchise from the beginning. I'd just advise a word of caution for the little ones (I'd say under 7, or even sensitive kids under 10)- this is not a movie for toddlers and early school kids. There is just an ever-present sense of very heavy ominous threat throughout, bar a few moments of comedy from Olaf and some lightness at the very end. It's not really that any single moment is terrifying in itself, the problem is more the relentless and unyielding nature of threat after threat and a dark and foreboding atmosphere that is generated early on and never really releases its grip. It's also quite complex for little ones to fully understand, the story is complex and has lots of call backs to events in the past. My 4.5 year old was always going to see this,n there was no way I could ever make her wait a couple of years, so it is what it is. One silver lining is that I expect her to love it when we come back to it in a few years. Until then, everyone is trying to forget it for now. Let it go!

Adult Written byAimeeobe November 22, 2019

Disappointing

The story line could have been much better.
My 9 year old daughter thought it was ok but had a hard time following it at times. I found it quite boring and was very disappointed. Disney definitely could have and should have produced a better sequel to Frozen.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byRYmom November 22, 2019

Scary for sensitive kids

My daughter is very sensitive to violence in movies. She wanted to see this because her friends were going. She spent a good portion of the movie with a jacket over her head.
I found some of the themes to be complex and hard to follow. But enjoyable to watch.

Adult Written byDoesifer November 22, 2019

Commercialism

Extreme consumerism- if you have a greedy/ spoiled child be prepared to have Disney's frozen 2 merchandise shoved down your throat and drain your oockets.

Adult Written bylpetlock December 5, 2019

Boring rehash. Dark at times. Loses spontaneous nature of the original.

Boring rehash. Dark at times. Loses spontaneous nature of the original.
Adult Written bymovieman48 December 3, 2019

Absolutely enchanting

Absolutely enchanting follow up to the original blockbuster, with a plot and songs that are a tad more sophisticated. The animation is breathtaking. Worth seeing just for that. Really enjoyed it as did the kids with us. Recommended although younger ones might have trouble following the plot. I just hope Disney stick at two and resist the temptation for a Frozen 3.
Adult Written byKHS88 December 2, 2019

A Bit Sad and Scary

My 6 year old, who loved Frozen 1, had some tearful moments during Frozen 2 and at one point I thought we would have to leave the theater but I kept saying, "don't worry it's going to have a happy ending". My child felt that many parts of Frozen 2 were sad and scary. I have to agree with that...from the perspective of a 6 year old I can absolutely understand how it was sad and scary. I was not expecting it to be dark or intense at all but it truly was. A little disappointed.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byjwestra7 November 27, 2019

Not Frozen

This would be good if you go into it expecting it to be Frozen for older kids/tweens. It was marketed for little kids, and I believed it would be similar to the first movie in the amount of fun, suspense, humor, good songs etc. While a good movie, my 6 yr old was scared, sad, and overwhelmed by a lot of it. It had very dark moments, too much for younger kiddos. You could hear upset other kiddos in the theater. Another reviewer commented rightfully so about psychological aspects of the movie. If I had known, I would have taken only my 11 yr old. I’d give it more stars if the previews hadn’t been so deceiving.
Adult Written byMadoka K. November 24, 2019

Not that good

Sure, the visuals and songs were great, but the plot was a mess (they tried too many things that didn't make sense) and there was little character development. It was obvious they only made it to make a quick buck.
Adult Written byspreckuls November 23, 2019

Better than the first!

“You are the one you’ve been waiting for” is the biggest take away of this film. It’s an empowering and humorous movie for young and old alike. I also loved the portrayal of nature’s spirits and magic in this movie. It was enchanting.

My 3 year old didn’t find one bit of it to be too scary. She spent most of it quietly whispering “wow”.

Adult Written byRichard richardson December 6, 2019

Adult Written bygranim December 5, 2019

Violent and scary for little ones

My almost 6 year old thought it was scary and we had to leave at a sad scene in the end that was too much for him. I personally really enjoyed it, but it's not for the young ones. The theme is much darker, and the twist at the end is very mature for a childrens movie.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byGerald Z. December 5, 2019

This is a poorly done Disney rehash -- scary too w/ terrible plot. Theater was empty.

This is a poorly done Disney rehash -- scary too. Theater was empty.

Wanted to walk out but had paid the ticket price. Badly done rehash.
Adult Written byMrsB89 December 4, 2019

Loved it!

My husband and I were given 4 free tickets to this so we took our 2.5 (first movie) and 3.5 year olds to see it. We weren’t entirely sure if it would keep their attention but since it was free we figured worst case scenario we would leave- no loss. Well no need, because we all moved it!! Surprisingly neither of my children got scared which is saying a lot because I had to take my 3 year old during the previews because he got scared lol my youngest loved the songs, my oldest loved the action and the funny parts with Olaf, and I loved the characters, messages, storyline. I especially love how they portrayed Anna and Kristoff’s relationship- a healthy, equal, non-cliche relationship where they truly love each other for who they are. I think my favorite scene was was Anna gets into trouble and Kristoff comes out of nowhere to save her. It’s not the cliche man rescues damsel in distress scenario, but a beautiful moment where the person who loves her was there at the exact moment she needed him, and instead of saying “I saved you” or anything along those lines he says “I’m here what do you need”. He doesn’t step in as the hero, he steps in to help her finish what she started. There are some great songs in this one as well, especially a 80s/90s style song by Kristoff that I thought was really catchy and different. Another funny song by Olaf that all the kids enjoyed. And a few deeper/powerful songs. There were some intense scenes, not so much scary but dark and sad, so that’s something to consider for children who may be sensitive to that. Frankly I think they went over my kids’ heads, but if they were a little older to understand they may have been upset. Visually the movie was stunning. And this is a surprising thing to say about an animated film but I loved the characters wardrobes. I felt they were so well detailed and added a nice element for anyone who appreciates fashion. Overall it was a great movie, and I’d consider it a must see for kids and adults alike.

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bymberke December 4, 2019

Good movie, but a little scary for young children

Spoilers ahead...We took our 6 year old daughter and 4 year old son to see it. They loved the first Frozen, but this one was a little intense for both of them. They got through it, but initially they were terrified of the giants to the point where they closed their eyes for part of it. The movie was very well made and the musical scores were great, but the frequent scenes of peril were intense for young children. The plot was dark and had elements that were a bit complex for young children to understand.