Parent reviews for Funny Games

Mature, complicated look at movie violence.

Adult Written bynul April 9, 2008

Amazing but Incredibly Disturbing

What really gets to you in a movie is not the physical effects of violence (after all, we laugh at somebody's head getting shot off in Pulp Fiction), but the emotional effects. While the violence in this film is not extremely graphic, it is nonstop and relentless. The family's plans are constantly thwarted, and the captors are happy, laughing, and polite throughout. The violence escalates and escalates in a fairly non-traditional way (I would say more, but I don't want to give anything away) and there is disappointment after disappointment, making the film extremely bleak and heavy. However, the film has a very meaningful and important point, and the violence must be present for the point to be made. Mature adults will be able to get it, but the point will probably fly over the heads of kids and teenagers, leaving them with nothing but the extreme violence.
Parent of a 9-year-old Written byBobby G. July 26, 2020

An intense masterpiece

Really one of my favorite films of all time. Violence 6/10. Mostly offscreen. Offscreen violence includes a dog beaten to death (body seen from far off), a child being shot dead, and other disturbing content, and death. The only violence onscreen is when a man is shot with a shotgun, but this is shown in a flash. Sex 4/10. A woman is forced to undress but no nudity is seen. She is in her underwear for most of the movie after this.
Language is used pretty often with some of it being pretty strong.

Adult Written byMarybeth R October 13, 2019

This movie is for No One

This movie was repulsive, horrifying and violent. And for once I felt the Common Sense Media review underplayed the specifics of the violence. I read up on the movie after seeing it to try to understand what would make fine actors participate in such a project. The director was trying to make a point about violence in the media and how desensitized we have become. I am apparently not desensitized at all because I found this movie extremely disturbing. I agree with the reviewer who said that it's the emotional aspect of the violence that was really upsetting. But I disagree that the point of the movie--that there is too much gratuitous violence in media--couldn't be made without the violence in this film. Perhaps it is because I am a psychiatric clinician and hear stories of real victimization on a daily basis that I have so little tolerance for movies like this. Spoiler alert: There is no redeeming social value to watching a family being tortured and murdered one by one. If the director is so talented, perhaps he could find a way to convey his message of "too much violence" by making a movie in which people choose non violence. But no shock value in that.
Adult Written bystefan12321 February 11, 2019

A great thesis on the desensitisation of society through violence in the media

Funny Games (2007) is a shot for shot remake of the German version directed by acclaimed director Michael Haneke. The film is a thesis on how desensitised we are by violence in the media, and this movie wants to see your limits. The movie is an allegory on society today and how we view things. Whilst the movie is sadistic in things that happen, I don't think that should negatively affect anyone from viewing this movie, unless they are under 13, and don't have a good idea on how to analyse movies or books (unless your child is perfectly capable of that at their age, in which case I commend your great parenting), but this movie has a good message that is displayed well

And if you are wondering why the same director of the German version made this, it is because he wanted his movie to be seen by a larger audience so he made it again but in English with well known actors to get more to get his message.

Adult Written bycjlewis97 January 1, 2019
Adult Written byNoneofyour B. April 22, 2018

Pretty average home invasion horror film with an interesting gimmick

The acting in the 1997 Austrian original is a bit better but this is an all around solid film.
Parent of a 7 and 12-year-old Written byKeegs M August 4, 2017

A Repulsive, Violent Chastisation of the Public's Obsession With Violence

Funny Games is a film that follows a family's vacation nightmare when two obviously disturbed individuals enter their home, and place a bet that they will be dead by morning. This film is brilliantly acted and directed, however here is the catch; the film is repulsive, sad, and a disgusting criticism of the public's attraction to violence in film. In such a film where this is looked down upon, the violence is placed in front of us in a disgusting way. Unfortunately, the incredible acting adds to create such a disappointing ending. The film followed no rules of typical filming, it was suspenseful and intense. No doubt the acting was great and the style was amazing, however such a film was ineffective, disturbing, and nonsensical. I hate to criticize this film because it was well made, the good things about it were good while the bad things about it were bad. The film is gory and not for the faint of heart or young eyes. Bottom line, never let someone in asking to borrow eggs.

Adult Written bywonder dove November 15, 2013

Creepy torture film

Funny Games was an interesting home invasion movie, yet not the best I've seen. It lacked action, however it was intense and creepy but a little too violent and uncomfortable to watch a nice little family being tortured, including a child. Definitely not for weak stomachs. In short, we meet two guys dressed in white, Peter (Brady Corbet) & Paul (Michael Pitt), who seem like decent guys at first but not for long. When the mother of the lake house, Ann (Naomi Watts), lets one into her home, he continuously bothers her to the point she fears something's strange. His partner joins in and together they start to terrorize Ann and her family by not leaving their home when they're kindly asked. Suddenly the family knows they're in extreme danger and must try everything possible to either convince them to stop or try to escape. It makes you feel blue when it's over.The language is strong from everything to the f-word & sh*t to @sshole & p**y. Violence is gory and includes a death of a family dog with body shown, a man is shot, a child is shot and you see the bloody remains, guy breaks a mans leg with a golf club, a face slap, stabbing sounds, a boy has a bag put over his head, a character is pushed off a boat, disturbing stories shared. Sexual content includes a woman forced to strip (nothing shown) then we see her in a bra and panties through out the rest of the film, gross comment about a young guy sleeping with his own mother which they then joke about, some discussions about sex throughout. There is smoking and talking about substance abuse. NOT for the kids!! Strong stomachs only! 18+

Adult Written bycallofduty5 March 18, 2011

Good for mature teens

Otherwise don't bother its violent and disturbing film. Very suspensive

Adult Written bymgariti1 January 9, 2011

21+ for strong, sadistic, bloody violence; some language; sexual situations (no nudity)

It's hard to give an apt description of this film. It starts out like the happiest possible thing ever. Bright sunny day, kids playing tennis at the park, A colledge student and 2 buddies leave the park, but (claim to) have car trouble. Good thing the perfect family lives nearby to help them out! Especially because one got a nasty gash while trying to repair the engine. Don't worry! The husband has some medical training. Come in, boys, and he'll take a look at th...Woah! It's hard for him to concentrate, what with the ---s pointed at the wife and child's heads. SAVE HIM! SAVE HIM! But the doctor can't...so now the two remaining boys will make doc pay.

Parent Written byPlague June 9, 2010

Funny Games

Very suspenseful and a good tension starting movie. Teens and adults will love it.
Adult Written byMovie Man September 16, 2009

Brilliant, Highly Disturbing Horror is Very Scary, Intriguing.

This is a brilliant, unusual horror film that takes on movie and T.V. violence. The plot is highly upsetting: a family is taken hostage by very young serial killers who torture and terrorize their victims for hours on end. PARENTS: please do not let your kids watch this extreme film. Although it is true that most of the violence is off-screen, that makes it even scarier. The less we know, the scarier it gets. P.S. You won't watch this film for fun; you watch it to be utterly intrigued... and petrified. And the brilliant performances make it even scarier. To all of you reading my reviews, thank you. And keep watching. -Movie Man

Adult Written byrickydoo85 April 9, 2008

New Favorite Movie

I'm a big fan of psycho killers. And, this is the best movie of that genre. There is a classic scene in here, where one of the killers looks to the camera, and asks the audience, "Why do you enjoy us torturing them?" CLASSIC!
Adult Written byezuyus April 9, 2008

A painful experience...

This movie is disturbing. If the director wanted to protray the helpless emotions of an innocent family being tortured to death -- he succeeded. The comments to the camera made it almost cartoon-like. I would not waste money on a theatre experience...wait for the DVD if you must.