Parent reviews for Get Out

Horror-thriller is surprising, shocking, timely, and funny.

Parent of a 16 year old Written byJflores14 February 25, 2017

interesting and disturbing film about race

GET OUT was fun to watch, with scenes jumping from scary, to funny and also to being emotional. While fun and engaging, this is a film for adults only. CONTENT: Violence (9/10): gory violence is only seen at the end of the movie. A man's head is cut, the top half being shown throw in a trash and is very graphic.A man's head is operated on and it is all seen in detail. People are stabbed, strangled and stabbed with sharp objects - some blood is shown. A deer is killed and thrown off the road. Many jump scares as well. SEX (4/10) - one character has a conversation about black people being turned into sex slaves and having to perform oral sex for their masters and do other various explicit acts - most of this is for humor Language (7/10): most of the language comes from one character, who curses in every scene he is in. F**k and motherf***er are used very frequently. In addition, d**k, sh*t, bitch, crap, and the middle finger are used. MY RATING: R- for thematic elements, blood images, graphic violence, a crude reference and some language

Adult Written byJoe J. March 11, 2017

Incredible debut from Jordan Peele. Suspenseful, engaging, and pretty funny as well.

Adult Written byPizza G. May 14, 2017

Astounding horror-comedy has important themes

Get Out is nothing short of a masterpiece. With great characters, truly terrifying moments along with some witty humor, and an engaging plot that touches on important subjects like race and discrimination, it makes for an incredible experience. However, this isn't for kids easily scared. Not only is the movie extremely intense, but the fact that it's heavily influenced by racism makes it feel even more real and threatening. Parents might want to have a discussion with their kids about it afterwards. There's also some harrowing violence--the end of the movie in particular has a few brutal deaths, most of it in the dark or half-shown but still bloody and gruesome. A peppering of language and some very brief sex talk is also thrown into the mix, but the main thing parents might want to consider is the movie's disturbing themes, along with its important message. For kids ages 14+, this is a must-see that's truly horrific but also smart and self-aware.

Parent Written byBob B. April 4, 2017

Cliché -

This film is an excuse to produce and watch a horror thriller that is as cliché as they come in every aspect while cashing in on the marketable suggestion that it is a timely discussion on race and prejudice. Peele is a funny guy, but he failed to deliver above average humor in this dark thriller. A movie that purports to expose stereotypes only delivered stereotypes of stereotypes and then, if it is about race and the current racial tension in our country, suggests that the only way to "get out" is violence. I'm disappointed because I've spent years in discussion on the racial issues in this country and speaking loudly for those who are suffering under racism here, but a lot of racists are going to see this movie and feel happy that they do not see themselves here. I don't think that teens need to see this movie to further the discussion on race. Perhaps, depending on the standards of individual parents, if they want to see a typical horror movie, then go see it. But to pass it off as a good discussion starter for the topic of race, I don't think so. Not for the average minds of teenagers who will be unimpressed by the too-obvious allusions to racial stereotypes and unaffected by the more subtle themes that are part of the social dialogue, like, for example, the fact that all the police, all black, laugh off the paranoia of the black friend who feels that his best friend, the protagonist, is being turned into a slave (which, in fact, he was). Clearly, this is a story cashing in on the dialogue on race to get more viewers, but it is not a story that will get viewers to say anything new in the dialogue on race. Disappointing.
Adult Written byBeth S. March 17, 2017
Adult Written byEdrena M. March 3, 2017

I truely enjoyed this movie!I am 75 years old my son took me to see this movie I am glad I went

Great Message!

Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byKeegs M March 11, 2017

Jordan Peele Film Isn't Scary and Easily a Pass

Get Out is a thriller about an interracial couple who goes to Rose's parent's house for the weekend. While there Chris begins to notice that things are off between the two servants of the household. Chris then finds out that Rose's mom is a hypnotist and despite Chris' "no" hypnotizes him to quit smoking. What he doesn't know is that this family has some weird and cruel intentions for him. This film starts out pretty good, with a great topic being discussed. It is also obvious there is a comic relief and this ruins the mood of the film. There are some intense scenes as well as some jumpscares. Though they are effective, they're predictable and in the trailer. The film has a "crazy person never dies" vibe, and is predictable also in that way. The film has quite a bit of cussing and one scene has really detailed sex discussion about sex trafficking. There quite a bit of blood (bludgeoning, bloody nose, head injuries, surgery, scars, gunshot wounds, heavy bleeding, and blood stains). Overall, it subtly discusses racism in a new light but does not effectively turn into a horror movie. It's cliché at some moments and is mostly just not scary. My advice-wait until it's a rental to see.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byBillie C. December 24, 2017

Adult Written byMovieboy321 March 13, 2017

Get out wants you to get out of your seat with this theme

Get out is a very dark, violent, well done, good messaged movie. I think this movie is a very spectacular but should be seen by older and mature audiences. Get Out, has very violent scenes in the last 30-45 minutes of the movie including a couple of unsettling jump scares. For example, There is a surgery scene with tons of gore, someone being stabbed in the throat with a deer trophy antler. Tons of blood is seen. Someone is bashed in the head with a Bocce ball and blood is seen on the ball. Someone commits suicide and blood is seen from the top of his head. A woman has her throat slashed some blood is seen. Tons of Guns and shooting and buckets of blood, The Language is strong and filled with F-bombs and S-bombs. Luckily no C-bombs, and some graphic sex talk about Jeffery Dahmer, some passionate kissing, and talk about a story of a liquor. cabinet . Although the movie is mature this movie talks about racism in modern society and has a great role model of Chris doing anything to get out of this risky situation, And Rod doing anything to help a friend. Or find in this case. This movie is amazing. but, 16+ because of the graphic content.

Adult Written bymarcia A. February 24, 2017

suspense

Best movie I seen in a year or more thriller ,drama, suspense Horror all in one I recomend a must see its not what you expect.
Parent Written byLou S. February 11, 2018

Relied heavily on brutal violence and severe language.

I enjoy horror movies but the language and the particular type of violence in this movie I found disagreeable. The movie itself was not scary, not a great deal of suspense, just violence that made me look away and push the mute button. I realized I would not let my children watch this movie. The parents guide from IMDb gives more specifics as to why this is inappropriate for teens - and the info there is mild compared to the movie.

Adult Written byVanessa I. January 23, 2018

Don’t bother

Save you money and 2 hours of your time for something worth watching. It wasn’t funny, cute, or worth my time.

Adult Written byTheNewYorkFive S. November 18, 2017

Bad for anyone under 15.

Unless you are 15 years old or older, Get Out is not the movie for your inexperienced mind. Sorry!

Adult Written byjustin c. March 15, 2017

y

This was a movie full of suspense and fear inducing moments. The plot of the movie was interesting from the beginning to end. The movie is said to tackle the issue of racism and covered the issue in an interesting way. For those wondering, the movie does contain violence, mild swearing and a small amount of sexual content. Overall this is a good movie to enjoy.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byJohn H. March 5, 2018

I let my 11 year old watch this.

He loved it so much. He didn't change at all. He became more aware of his surroundings, it also made him focus 24/7.

Adult Written byStevie111 May 24, 2017

Well done thriller but not what I was expecting

I thought Get Out was done well, but I'm surprised that it is getting such good reviews. It is definitely odd. It is tense, but can be a touch slow which I personally didn't mind. I think it made very well. It has humor but it is very dark for the most part. There is some language and crude references, but not a whole lot. That's it up until the last little while. There is pretty graphic and brutal violence with a good amount of blood. Overall it is very twisted and bizarre, but I did really like it. Due to the end's violence and constant dark themes, I would say this is better suited for older teens and up.

Adult Written byElizabeth B. November 21, 2017

Mind blowing!

Very mature movie, gruesome toward end, some slight jokes in beginning, nowhere near funny overall as a movie due to the very deep and tear jerking storyline. I absolutely loved this movie.

Adult Written byNosedive K. September 7, 2017

Best horror movie in a long time

Great movie, changing the horror genre in many ways. Super intense so be ready to feel uncomfortable all the way through

Adult Written by_.JINX._ July 27, 2017

Edgy

This movie does have some pretty brutal scenes and is mainly focused on race. I think whatever you decide on should be based on your own evaluation of your kid. I would imagine most 13 year olds being OK with it. Some pretty graphic sex talk too.

Adult Written byDarylTheStudent July 22, 2017

Get Out

Get Out is a great thriller that will provoke discussions on race. But it isn't for younger children either, because of the profanity and violence in it. Majority of the violence takes place in the film's climax. This includes (but is not limited to) us seeing an exposed brain (as part of a surgery), a man being gored by an antelope's horns, and a woman being shot with blood stains shown. Several characters also die. Prior to all of these, the tension also gradually builds up, with some jump scares thrown in. Language consists of rather frequent use of the f-word and other obscenities. No sex scenes, but there are a few kissing scenes, and some sex-related talk (e.g. a character is said to want to have sex with another character). The main character is said to be a smoker.