Parent reviews for Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance Poster Image

THIS MOVIE SUCKS

I actually decided to watch this film since it's from Neveldine/Taylor, two of my favourite filmmakers, but as soon as I popped it on. I realized how dumb I was for wanting to watch it. If you hated the first one, this one is WORST. And I thought Fan4stic was bad, man this ranks up there for the worst MARVEL movie with it. Just why?!?!?!

Not a good movie, but teen Marvel fans may enjoy

Only 1 scene with implied sexual content, that's a win in my book. The CSM review is accurate, there's a scene in which the female lead, Violante Placido, allows a man to believe that he's possibly soliciting a relationship of some kind. All implied, nothing overtly stated nor shown, not even physical contact of any kind. Lots of violence, that's really what the entire movie is about - special effects and death/decay/redemption somewhere in there. Some language... Oh and lots of Nicholas Cage being overly dramatic, in the way only Nicholas Cage can be. At least our youth can learn to appreciate Nicholas Cage, right? A very light treatment of satanic rituals, not too concerning overall, as goes with the setting and the story line. Some parents may be concerned. The only thing shown are disturbing eyes turned all black; no blood, not too much weird stuff. Just fine for bored 12 year olds, if they can handle big violence, large burning objects flying around the screen, and a dude on fire eating people's souls (spoiler alert perhaps? Hope you caught that this is Ghost Rider, that's what he does).

One of the worst, in my opinion! Hated it!

Sure, there's a lot of gory and brutal violence in this movie, and that's content that's not appropriate for young kids, but the story was nonsensical, the characters were crap, the comedic timings came out of nowhere for no reason, whatsoever and the visual effects and CGI are complete flames, but not in a good way. Totally skip it.

OK!!

It was I film I thought was going to be amazing, it wasn't that good. It has its moments, some good fight scenes and vehicles catching on fire but that was all. Nothing bad tiny bit of swearing and his skull maybe found a bit creepy.

A dissapointment

I was very dissapointed when I saw this in theaters, and apparently it wasn't related to the previous Ghost Rider if you've seen the first one, different acting, different history, just went a little overboard with everything, but the action was the only good thing as well as effects.

Right on for the fans, not so much for newcomers

I became interested in the comics for Ghost Rider in my High School years, and what has struck me both then and now with this movie, is that Ghost Rider is a very unique character. He's not a flashy super role model like Captain America or Superman, nor is he a dark anti-hero like Wolverine or the Punisher. Instead, he's almost like the Hulk, in that he's like a force of nature. You unleash him, be prepared to deal with the consequinces. Now, on to the movie, this one is hard to classify as it isn't exactly a sequel, but it isn't a reboot either. It uses the origin from the first movie, albeit a cut down and editted version, and uses little snippets of semi-animated drawings to explain some of the less immediately important details. A slight heads up, there is a bit of crude humor in the origin's one, particularly with a picture of a butt. Johnny Blaze now finds himself in Europe as he's constantly looking for a way to remove his curse as well as keep it in check. Admittedly, they're a little vague on this, until it is better explained later in the movie. It boasts a surprising amount of humor as well, lightening the mood when it needs it. The story is often missed in the rush of the movie's action scenes, but the discerning viewer can pull out a very well done story that few catch. The action scenes are where this movie shines, particularly with the fans of the comics. Ghost Rider, kept at a disappointing range in the first movie, is now up close and scary, fighting hand to hand as well as hand to chain, a much needed addition to the movie. The villains are a little underdone. Roark, the devil in human form, is a bit lack luster, and while he deliver's a stunning acting preformance, the power of the character is rather downplayed. While it is plot relevant, it does leave something to be desired. The villain Blackout is played rather different than the comics, with different powers and origins, but all told, he also delivers a decent preformance, if a little unbelieveable at first. Ghost Rider's appearance makes a change as well. The bleached white bones are gone, replaced with a charred blackened skull that adds much more intimidation to the character. The spikes are also gone, ditched in favor of the interesting effect of the leather on the jacket boiling and bubbling with the heat. The motorcycle is scaled back significantly, which while it is not the artisitc masterpiece of the first film, it allows the character himself to stand out, without being overshadowed by the motorcycle. There are several good messages and role models placed in the film, with the moral that anyone can change, and that you can bring good out of a bad situation. The character of the priest Moreau, constantly says that no one is beyond redemption. There is some use of alcohol, however, no one is ever drunk, and at most, only a few sips occur. Cursing is also present, but surprisingly rare, reaching its worst at a single F-bomb. Overall, the movie seems a bit like an apology to the fans for the lack of action in the first movie, and while those new to the character may not enjoy it as much, it is a must see for Ghost Rider fans.

not as good as the first