Kid reviews for Girl with a Pearl Earring

Older teens and adults will enjoy, but the book is better.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBecky Chandler November 17, 2013

Very Artistic

Based on the book by Tracy Chevalier, the Girl With a Pearl Earring is a good adaption. Starring famous actors, Colin Firth and Scarlett Johansson, the performance is stunning. The chemistry and passion between Firth and Johansson is magical and stays strong throughout the duration of the film. It is also a very convincing perspective of how servants were treated (which was quite badly) many years ago. You really sympathise with Griet, the protagonist. The theme of the film is art and you watch, bewitched, as Vermeer seduces Griet. Griet is a character that has so much innocence and naivety. This film was given a 12A rating and I feel it deserves it as it can be sensual at times but there is absolutely NO graphic sex scenes. (There is one sex scene but it is not at all graphic and you just hear quiet panting - only the characters faces are shown. In fact it is so mild you probably wouldn't even think it was a sex scene). There is one scene where a girl gets slapped and an intense scene between Pieter Van Ruijven and Griet. It is implied that he is going to attack her but he is stopped. I think another reason it was rated 12A is because the film can be quite hard to grasp and the ending was a little puzzling. So if any parents are wondering whether to let there children watch this then I would probably say they should providing they are prepared for some questions relating to the time it was set, the ending and Griet and Vermeer's relationship. Like I said the film is NOT graphic it just has a lust undercurrent which I think makes the film so good.

Teen, 13 years old Written byalessandralovesbooks October 2, 2010

Great movie!

I really liked this movie. I watched it because I had just read the book and loved the book so much!! This movie didn't quite meet my expectations, but is still very enjoyable. Definitely worth watching!