Parent reviews for Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery

Glass Onion Movie Poster

Layered, Heavily Comedic Sequel

Glass Onion is the sequel to the superb mystery film, "Knives Out." This sequel is funnier and bigger; however, Knives out is still the better film oddly enough. The film is suitable for teens and up. Glass Onion features more sexual content than its predecessor, with a couple laying in bed and making out while wearing bathing suits. This scene is shown twice. Sex toys and sexual references are present as well. Language is heavy for PG-13 standards. Moderate profanities are used throughout the film in multiple variations. There are also two instances of a strong expletive in the film, both clearly heard. Blanc smokes cigars frequently and a side character smokes what looks like weed. Alcohol is present frequently with one character drinking excessive amounts throughout. Violence (MILD SPOILERS) is infrequent. A character is poisoned and we see them slowly die. Another is shot in the chest with a firearm with some detail. This is a great, hilarious mystery that keeps you smiling. However, the culprit, (Risk of spoilers here) much like its predecessor, is a bit easy to predict. It's a well structured story; but it wasn't amongst the trickiest mysteries out there. There are some good twists that I won't spoil though; those that I'm referencing are the real surprises that make "Glass Onion" as good as it is.
4 people found this helpful.
2 people found this helpful.

A fun murder mystery romp!

I have been on pins and needles since the last film was released. I am a big murder mystery fan and a big Riann Johnson fan, so the combo makes for an exciting film. I appreciate the ride that Johnson dares to take the audience on. It satisfies that Run Lola Run impulse of wanting to see the same film being told from different points of view. The film is 2.5 hours long, but I did not think it felt long and when you step back and see everything that Johnson is trying to cram in then you feel that he is barely able to squeeze it all in. It seems that the performers are sometimes out of breath because they have run through the plot forwards and backwards and in different spots so many times. Each actor feels well cast and that they know these characters, especially, Norton, Hudson and Bautista. Bautista practically steals it from everyone. Looking forward to the next one.

Enjoyable for young adults up but not for young kids

Entertaining sequel that really does not require seeing the initial “Knives Out” film. The ending does not make much sense and it has several holes in its complex plot. I suspect most young people will not follow the plot as I struggled to do so. Someone dies on-screen, another seems to die on-screen and another dies off-screen. Most children under 12 will be bored.

Simply Fun

This movie was quite fun to watch. So much so that I'm now I'm trying to figure out where I can watch the original Knives Out movie. Introduction to each character was well done, and for a 2 hrs movie it never dragged. It's appropriately Rated PG-13. There is mild language and a suggestive scene (rolling around with clothes on) - more suggestive of an affair, than the actual act itself. Honestly? Most PG13 movies are too explicit for my taste but this was clean in comparison. If you enjoyed Clue, Murder on the Orient Express or other murder mystery movies then you'll enjoy this one. Oh....and doesn't hurt that I already loved all of the actors/actresses.

Read more if you would like a realistic,detailed review on glass onions!!

It was good but slightly predictable, I originally watched this movie with my husband and without my kids just incase it was anything like knives out ( the first one). I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was very appropriate with some good moral messages! There was a bit of blood and gore towards the end of it and also a big explosion which did scare my 8 year old but he got over it very quickly. My 16 year old now loves this movie and it is on her top 10! There were a few sexual references throughout but if your child doesn’t know what they are then they won’t see the sexual side of the references. Personally I did guess the story line as well as who commited the murder but then again I did train as a professional investigator for a year until I dropped out! There is a bit of diversity in the characters and where it is set (in Greece)! All in all I would show my children this if they are over 8 and understand swear words plus never to repeat them. But that is just my option and if you are still sceptical I would watch the movie beforehand! Thanks, Sandra.

Don't Bother

About 1/3 the way through, the story-line began having so many twists and turns that I became impatient with keeping track of what's going on. If there was some decent acting and legitimate humor present... I might have had the patience to endure the horrible script. But, alas, there was no good acting, and certainly no clever humor. And by the time a second guest had met their end... I was out faster than you can count to two. Daniel Craig has had some phenomenal roles in recent years... 007 related, as well as other films. This one, however, was as forgettable as they come.