Parent reviews for Gods and Generals

Meticulous Civil War story runs a little long.

Adult Written by[email protected] April 9, 2008

A+ for historical accuracy

A must see for every student of American history. While there are some graphic scenes of the horrors of warfare - other movies are much worse - students need to be aware of the costs of war, and that some things are worth fighting, and sacrificing for.

The film does a credible job of discussing the causes of the War, from both sides. The dialoge between the Generals, Top civilians, and the foot soldier gives the viewer a good taste of the variety of sentiments of the day.

It is long, but it is a good 'rainy day' movie.

A pause button will be helpful to stop the DVD and discuss some of the points with the kids is a good tactic to us.
Adult Written byInuzukaKana October 8, 2019

I Only Gave It a 10 For the Literacy of Kids

My only concern would be that kids wouldn't appreciate it (other than it's historical inaccuracies). It's an important part of American history that should be common knowledge, and I feel like people forget all too often. Although fabricated a little due to it's historically fictitious nature, it still holds true to the events of the war and truths of battle. There are dead bodies but they aren't the focus of the film. The characters, who happen to be real people, are amazing (especially the Chamberlains) and I wish that there were this good of role models in other war movies. Truly a pivotal movie in looking at the American Civil War, and as a historian I would like to point out that it's not just for Americans. The American Civil War was extremely influential among Europeans at the time as well, and was a very big part of a changing tide in military history around the world. I would go so far as to suggest it be shown in middle school classrooms, as I saw Glory in a middle school setting and loved it. Not gonna lie, Gettysburg was better, but this one is still pretty good and gets a bad rep for Jackson's screen time. It's true, Jackson's screen time was obnoxious at times and was fairly irrelevant as well as fiction, but as long as people understand what's fact and what's fiction then it's okay.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byTsion April 9, 2008