Kid reviews for God's Not Dead

Earnest faith-based drama is heavy on dogma.

Teen, 16 years old Written bylostmanlovecraft July 4, 2015

A disappointment and downright offensive

Terrible acting and shoddy film-making aside, this movie (if you even want to call it that) just feels like propaganda. I wanted to see a good christian film that could deal with complex topics, tell a great story, and deal with faith in a positive way. What I got was the equivalent of a parking lot flyer saying that atheists are heartless monsters, Islamic people are savages, and dying sure is great: after an atheist dies, all the kids gather round, and don't help him at all. They just are so gosh darn happy that he's "saved" and gets to go to heaven. He could have REALLY been saved if they stopped the bleeding, called an ambulance, etc. Parents be warned: negative racial/religious stereotypes abound. Save your money, and go see a decent film.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhiphoph May 9, 2014

God's Not Dead

God's Not Dead handles some tricky topics. A woman is in a negative relationship, and finds out she has cancer. Another girl is shown being hit by her father and is thrown out onto the streets. A woman is in a verbally abusive relationship with an older man (though they're both adults). At the end of the film, a man is hit and killed by a car.
The film doesn't have much iffy stuff besides that. Alcohol is shown (adults are drinking it). It has a lot of "advertising", Newsboys and Duck Dynasty being part of the reason the film was pumped up so much.
I have to say that (though my mother loved the film) I was disappointed with the movie. It seemed too preachy at parts, a few of the people couldn't act, and the plot line seemed all over the place. The main story line of a boy speaking up for his belief in a world where it's frowned upon, is a great idea, and one that I think many can relate to. However, I felt the film showed some weak spots when it came to Josh Wheaton defending his faith. I'be read many books on the topic of how Christianity and science don't have to contradict each other, and the reasons given in the film weren't as good as many that I have heard. The film also had the classic cliche of someone turning away from God, because of their own suffering (I'm not saying that this has never happened. It's happened many times, but that's not the only reason people wouldn't believe in God.). As I've seen some others point out, I generally felt like the film was aimed for people who were already Christians, in which case the film isn't serving it's purpose of evangelism. Out of the many Christian films that have come out this year - from Noah (that wasn't very biblical), to Heaven's for Real, to Vanessa Hudgens touching performance in Gimme Shelter - God's Not Dead falls far behind.

Teen, 15 years old Written byParanoidAndroid42 April 18, 2018

God is Dead and this movie killed him.

A liberal Muslim homosexual ACLU lawyer professor and abortion doctor was teaching a class on Karl Marx, known atheist
“Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Marx and accept that he was the most highly-evolved being the world has ever known, even greater than Jesus Christ!”

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, pro-life Navy SEAL champion who had served 1500 tours of duty and understood the necessity of war and fully supported all military decision made by the United States stood up and held up a rock.

“How old is this rock?”

The arrogant professor smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied “4.6 billion years, you stupid Christian”

“Wrong. It’s been 5,000 years since God created it. If it was 4.6 billion years old and evolution, as you say, is real… then it should be an animal now”

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and copy of Origin of the Species. He stormed out of the room crying those liberal crocodile tears.

The students applauded and all registered Republican that day and accepted Jesus as their lord and savior. An eagle named “Small Government” flew into the room and perched atop the American Flag and shed a tear on the chalk. The pledge of allegiance was read several times, and God himself showed up and enacted a flat tax rate across the country.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He died of the gay plague AIDS and was tossed into the lake of fire for all eternity.

Semper Fi
Teen, 13 years old Written byMaddie7850 July 1, 2016

Great family movie for christians

I watched this movie with a couple close friends and we were completely moved by the intenensity of the movie. Josh Wheaton (Shane Harper) is a great example for all of us. You can see the devotion of Ayisha (Hadeel Sittu) and Mina (Cory Oliver) as well, who both made huge sacrifices to be with the lord. However, athiests are portrayed quite negatively even though Josh says that he is giving them a choice, the movie is blatantly stating, "Christians are right and athiests are wrong." I also wanted to mention that there is a scene where Ayisha, a girl who's family is very 'traditional' to thier religion, is caught listening to a Christian podcast and is slapped and shoved out of her own home by her father. It is very traumatic. My last point is that this movie is very dramatic, complex and emotional. This would be a very hard concept for small children to get their heads around. But I think for older kids this is the perfect movie to demonstrate faith in people who aren't grown adults.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLexPro June 21, 2016

Wow this was Bad, Please don't Show to kids, Have them watch Toy Story

These characters are bad, really bad. The Atheists are portrayed as demons, while Christians are saints. The story is also flat, only there to make the Christians good.

Teen, 15 years old Written bysiddhartham1 July 14, 2015

Kids should not watch this

DISCLAIMER: I am fine with swearing, sex, and some amount of violence.
What this movie lacks in swearing and sex, it makes up with a lack of respect to other cultures and viewpoint. Rather than focusing on the positive, come to Christ message, other Christian movies, this movie focuses on painting atheists, Muslims, Asians as mean-spirited, abusive, power hungry individuals whose mission is to destroy Christianity. Its depiction of the atheist, professor Raddisson, is completely offensive for any unbeliever and I find it amazing that this depiction of people is allowed by our culture. Similarly, the Muslim dad is portrayed as an abusive extremist and he was made to look sinister. The movie repeatedly portrayed charecters that held non-religious and/or liberal views as evil, sociopathic and self absorbed. This was particularly evident in the liberal blogger and the non-religious business man characters. Overall, it is a sad day in our culture where a movie that displays such a bigoted portrayal of so many groups can be considered a movie with a good message. This movie represents everything that is wrong with our parenting culture, where its okay to be intolerant of people who have different views, but swearing and sex is so bad that we need websites to make sure our kids will never be exposed to them. smh

Teen, 13 years old Written byTARDIS Tourist January 1, 2016

This underrated movie is great.

This movie has a good message, but it is, in some parts, very sad. A man gets run over by a car, (minimal blood) and a woman is pushed out of her house due to her Christian beliefs. The boy in this movie will not disrespect God but instead brings others to God. This is a good family movie. Take this from a born again Christian.

Kid, 12 years old February 22, 2015

God's not dead

I thought that Gods not dead was not a very good movie. I am an atheist, and I don't like how atheists are portrayed. I also thought that the actors were not all that great, so I would not watch it again. Christians may like it though.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMeghann13 June 5, 2014

AWESOME MOVIE!!!

I really enjoyed this film because it teaches you to stand up for what you believe in, even when everyone else tells you to give up.

Teen, 16 years old Written byLordoftheRings1997 May 7, 2014

An Excellent Film for All Ages!

I am really disappointed in the way this website depicted this film. They give better reviews of trashy films than they do this one. Anyway, this film was truly inspiring, and helped strengthen my faith in huge ways! The arguments are scientific and factual (I dare atheists to find fault in the science), and engaging as well. The stories of faith were so inspiring, and the ending made me cry, then made me want to get up and shout GOD IS NOT DEAD!

Kid, 12 years old April 27, 2014

God's NOT dead hes surely alive

I really loved this movie.The movie's themes might be a little too confusing for younger viewers but that shouldn't stop them from watching the movie.I went to see this and it is very emotional! If you've seen it you'll know what I'm talking about.I LOVED this movie because it had all different kind of emotions.Unlike Heaven is for Real it used Scripture like Gen.1:1 and a lot of other stuff.Josh was the best character out of the whole movie and Pastor Dave because Josh was confident and he tolled his classmates about God and how loving and caring he is.If you want to see a movie about God then watch this.This is the best movie i've ever seen.Remember this

God's NOT dead he's surely alive

Teen, 15 years old Written byThe Hannah Claire April 15, 2014

He's Alive!

I was really excited about this movie and was thrilled when I finally got to see it. Throughout the course of this movie, multiple stories are woven together: a college student defending his faith against his teacher, the teacher and his Christian girlfriend, a woman with cancer, a girl who has converted from Islam to Christianity and is hiding her faith from her parents, and a pastor. The only thing of concern here is violence. A girl is slapped several times by her dad and is dragged out of the house. It is a very emotional scene. At the end someone is hit by a car. There is very little blood. This movie features The NewsBoys and the Robertsons (Duck Dynasty). The end will make you want to cheer and sing along with the NewsBoys. I highly recommend this movie to any Christian.

I do find that Common Sense Media is overly skeptical when it comes to Christian movies. Don't let that deter you from this one!

Teen, 15 years old Written byBennetty September 15, 2019

Very much targeted for christians

This movie is essentially a propaganda film for Christians it portrays atheists and non-christians as cruel or wrong in their beliefs, it contains a lot of stereotypes about people and the part that irritated me the most was how the atheist dies at the end and is converted. It also contains some racism towards Muslims I would not recommend this movie for younger people actually I wouldn't recommend it to any people because any teens who's to see this movie would just be embarrassed the whole time overall I read this movie as 0 out of 10 would not recommend
Teen, 13 years old Written byRainbowFox April 1, 2019

I LOVED IT!

Teen, 14 years old Written byMike Owen October 2, 2018

All right, but, like most Christian films, makes the fatal mistake of preaching to the choir

In all honesty, I found the film rather entertaining, but will probably fail to make an impact with a more secular audience. It made some compelling arguments for God's existence, and decent acting, though the film is admittedly rather one sided. Some fatal mistakes the film makes is a certain sub-plot that is rather pointless and could be seen as offensive and ill-conceived and will drive some viewers away. Whoever made the screenplay also made some questionable plot decision towards the end of the film. Another large problem is that the film almost acts as an advertisement for Christian rock band "The Newsboys". The film contains nothing offensive as in drugs etc. It contains a scene where a man hits his daughter and an accident scene in terms of violence. Overall, this film is all right, but if you want a truly thought provoking faith film, watch the 2016 film "The Innocents".

Teen, 15 years old Written byCooltiger37 August 31, 2018

Hateful faith-based movie has some violence

While there admittedly are some pretty good messages about standing up for your religion, they're ultimately drowned out by the sheer hatred this movie shows towards non-believers. I mean, the atheist blogger got cancer, the atheist teacher gets hit by a car and dies, and the Muslim father is a cold-hearted jerk who beats the living you-know-what out of his daughter for being a Christian. As well as suffering those horrible fates as some sort of "divine (pun intended) justice", the first two people mentioned are also portrayed as evil jerks who have literally spent their entire life trying to wipe out Christianity. Just when I thought this movie couldn't POSSIBLY be any more hateful towards non-believers, it then turned out that the aforementioned teacher became an atheist because... (are you ready for this?) his mother died of cancer and he therefore decided to shut God out his life because of that! It's not like he was an atheist because, you know, he couldn't believe the concept of God or anything. It's utterly ridiculous (not to mention extremely offensive). The good news is that besides the aforementioned beating and death, there's virtually nothing offensive in this movie, so it's OK for kids to see. However, I don't think you want to expose them to something so blatantly vile and divisive, no matter how well-intentioned it might be. The movie doesn't even have a believable (pun also intended) plot, so there's virtually nothing that makes it worth seeing anyway. And I'm a Christian myself, so you can't blast this review because I'm a "religion-hating atheist". My MPAA rating: PG for thematic elements including some violence and an accident scene.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMatt_Stahlin April 21, 2018

Not good by any means, but some people may enjoy it.

This movie is bad. No questions asked (and let me get this out there, I'm agnostic). The writing is cold and wooden, the messages are plain out false and biased painting everyone who isn't Christian as an enemy which is the worst thing you can expose to a child who is soaking up information like a sponge, and the characters are just 2 dimensional. That being said even though by a critical and nonreligious standpoint, Christians would enjoy it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySilver dragon May 19, 2017

Propaganda

While the movie itself isn't bad for kids per se, what it lacks in violence and sex, it makes up for by making every other group in the movie (atheists and muslims) portrayed as bad people or oppressed, an example is that the atheist teacher will downright not let the Christian have an opinion, even though it's a secular school, and it has the Muslim girl slapped for becoming a Christian, overall is not a good movie to show your kids, it might induce fear and hatred for anybody who isn't a Christian
Teen, 13 years old Written bySubaruNatsuki August 16, 2016

Inefficacious

God's Not Dead is a very biased movie. It's incredibly one-sided; the movie depicts that if you're a hardcore conservative Christian, you're a good person who does no wrong. However, if don't fit that criteria, you're repulsive. Sometimes, good messages are spread. For example, it shows that you should stand up for what you believe in and think for yourself. I believe kids age seven and up should handle seeing the movie, I just don't think that it's right. I believe that after letting your child view the movie, you should teach them that the stereotypes shown aren't true.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBenjaminBelfort May 9, 2016

Pandering propaganda is garbage at best

Content wise, this film is very mild, someone dies and someone's dying. While Christians will probably enjoy this, that's because it panders directly to them and doesn't present an equal debate. This film treats its audience poorly, forcing agenda down your throat, never exploring both sides of the argument. The acting is bad, but they must be trying their hardest with these pathetically written stereotype characters. So maybe if you're not big into thinking critically or having your own opinions, give it a watch. If that's not you, skip this steaming pile of failure.