Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Godzilla

Violent updated classic could be too intense for young kids.

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bymovielovers23417 July 24, 2009

Okay for 10 and up, but does have language and some violent images

My 9 year old saw this and can't believe (and neither can I) that you say that language is not an issue! You should rewatch and re-evaluate. Also, there is swearing in French in this movie! That should also count! Some scenes are too graphic with dinosaurs crunching on humans.

Parent of a 6, 10, and 16 year old Written bySmartViewer February 23, 2009

America ruins Godzilla....again.

The 1954 "Godzilla" was a classic, but the Americans have tried one too many times to re-create it. Okay for kids, but they'll probably just say "It was good," and then run off to do something better with their time. Did I enjoy it? It was OK. But if America really wants some "Godzilla fame," they'll just have to keep trying. It was almost a success, but almost won't cut it.
Parent Written byPlague January 5, 2010

Godzilla

A good, but not great movie. Cool effects for a 1998 film.

Adult Written byHorror Attack July 13, 2012

GODZILLA (1998)

GODZILLA doesn't have the monster Godzilla in it, But another monster, Zilla. He makes an attack on New York, This monster makes an appearence in Godzilla: Final Wars, where he attacks western australia, 10 out of 10

Adult Written bySapphire19 February 28, 2015

Loved This Movie

When I was 7 I found this vhs tape one day and asked my dad to watch it at 9 at night. He said no, it would scare me and I wouldn't be able to sleep. I insisted that I wouldn't and he let me watch it. The first half is all I watched that night because I fell asleep. Perhaps I'm the exception but this film clearly did not scare me too much, I was even mad that I didn't get to see what happened. I still have it and still love it. I think a bit of caution is all that's necessary, depending on the kid. After all I read the case myself and was expecting thrills.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 16, 2012

I agree with CSM thats it's too similar to Jurassic Park,not the 2 star rating.

This is an awesome,action packed movie! I loved the intenseness.Godzilla is awesome,intense,and EPIC!!!
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

no point

There's no point in watching this movie, other than seeing a big lizard crush buildings. Honestly, there's no plot, no characterization, no reason or purpose at ALL! The old, dubbed, black-and-white Godzilla movies were better than this mess!
Adult Written byG3 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byJEDI micah May 27, 2012

ROAR!!!

I do agree with Common Sense about this movie being like Jurassic Park with one big BIG dinosaur, and also the scene where there are Godzilla's babies in Madison Square Garden reminds me of the "raptors in the kitchen" scene from Jurassic Park too, but I do not agree with the 2 star-rating. This movie is amazing, probably one of the best monster movies ever! It is really intense, just like the old Godzilla movies! But because of the intenseness and amount of mayhem and destruction, I say this movie is best for kids ages 13 and up!

Adult Written byRarityfan October 10, 2018

Huge surprise!

Godzilla is seen in so many different versions that it is hard to pick the best of. Let's see if next Godzilla this coming summer will be one of the biggest cinema hits. Can be too stupid, or scary for some kids.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byTristan P. May 13, 2018

Ok for small kids if have seen other movies than Disney before

Some fighting between Godzilla and the army Some smaller creatures in the end fighting a small group My 3 year old loves this movie
Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written bynuenjins September 16, 2014

Godzilla stripped down to "Giant Dumb Lizard".

If you like the old rubber suited hero then this....is NOT him. He's big and dumb and just destroys everything. The main attraction is stripped of all personality and now looks more like a big, mindless iguana slash raptor. It can be OK to watch but the allure of the title makes empty promises and never delivers. Now with "baby Godzillas" it starts to feel more like an urban Jurrassic Park rather than the Godzilla we familiarize with the name. Some sequences have decent action but it's only for those moments that even bother to truly keep your attention and even then it feels tedious to sit through for such a long time. Very skipable and forgettable.