All parent member reviews for Gone with the Wind

Parent of a 11 year old Written byjwrakosy June 16, 2010

Excellent movie! I saw it when I was 10, 39 years ago, but didn't get some parts like the 'ladies of the night'. I think is not appropiate for kids under 13 for that reason. On other matters, such as Rhett going to the bar and drinking, it is something that parents could talk to their kids. In addition, I remember the Scarlet's maid being happy, so I couldn't understand why the North was interfering with the South. Again, I was only 10 and grew up in SouthAmerica so didn't know about the USA history. It was a long movie, 4 hours, but that didn't bother me; however, being a girl I expected a happy ending.
Parent of a 9, 13, and 16 year old Written byMaryPaty June 28, 2012

BEST MOVIE EVER

This is in my opinion my favorite movie of all time.The reason is because the film meets every possible element that makes a movie great
Parent Written bysarahebrown August 20, 2011

Great Adult Movie - Okay for Some Kids

It's an awesome movie that I've loved since I was a kid. It has everything love, action, suspense ect... It's an adult movie so it may be a bit heavy for some children who haven't been exposed to any sort of violence.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byGGANA19 December 10, 2010

Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 26, 2010

Great movie

I love this epic movie. I think, honestly, it will put most kids to sleep. The hospital scene with wounded soldiers might make it a bit much for younger/more sensitive kids, but it's historically significant and very well acted. Scarlett is a pretty bad character in a lot of ways, but that plays into the historical aspect, so you might want to touch on those issues after viewing.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byLB2010 June 17, 2010

A favorite through the decades

This 61 year old movie has lived through some major societal changes. Not to mention that if Scarlett and Rhett were alive today, their attitudes towards women and African Americans would be received with scorn and contempt by most Americans. That said, this movie still portrays attitudes towards African Americans in a very stereotypical and negative manner. Even Hattie McDaniel (who played Mammy) thanked the Academy when she won the 1939 Oscar by saying "I sincerely hope I shall always be a credit to my race." The distinction between the races was definitely a product of both the 1930s and Civil War times, but fast-forward 60 years and it is painful to watch, hard to swallow down. I watched this movie when I was 12. What I most remember was that I immediately developed a huge crush on Clark Gable. I loved the pageantry and the drama of this Old South movie. In my foolish 12-yr-old way I wished we could all still wear hoop skirts and corsets because they were so princessy. It took me 20 years before I started to see the movie differently. For years I never realized that the scene where Rhett forcefully carries Scarlett upstairs implied he raped her, and that it was ghastly to imply she loved it. For years I never realized that the movie showed that Honorable Ashley and the gang went out as the KKK to "clean out the woods" where Scarlett had been attacked. The opening scene I used to find so dreamy I now find obnoxious: "Here was the last ever to be seen of ...Master and of Slave. Look for it only in books, for it is no more than a dream remembered, a Civilization gone with the wind." It's an incredible book and a beautiful movie, though flawed by today's standards. I would probably wait until my daughter is 12 before she watches it. I appreciate the "family discussion questions" that this website suggests.
Adult Written byClassicCultReviewer June 18, 2009

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion June 5, 2009

An Amazing, Fulfilling Film Epic...A True Masterpiece!

GONE WITH THE WIND is most famously known as a love story between Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh. What you might not know is that Leigh's character, Scarlett O'Hara, has three husbands over the course of the movie. Now her passion with Gable doesn't sound so "true love"-like, does it? What the film is really about is a Southern belle coming of age and learning of life during the tribulating times of the Civil War. She learns that she can use her sexuality to manipulate men, and she uses her charms and quick intellect to claw her way through the War and its aftermath. However, she also learns by the end of the movie that manipulative people don't get true love (hence: "Frankly my dear, I just don't give a d@mn"). The "G" rating is misleading, as it was given in 1939. The film is quite violent. While only one scene is graphic (a Yankee deserter being shot in the face. There's a brief explosion of blood.), there are many tense scenes revolving around the loss of loved ones and the dashing of dreams by reality. Some images (such as the burning of Atlanta) may be frightening for young kids. There is no actual sexual content, but some discussions revolve around that topic without mentioning it (they had to meet 30's decency standards). Through all of her husbands, Scarlett really only loves one man who always eludes her, and at one point she kisses him passionately, though he's married. After having her first child, Scarlett decides she doesn't want to get pregnant any more (to keep her waist as small as can be), so she informs her husband that she will be locking her bedroom door. This infuriates him, so, one night, he carries her up to his room (presumably for sex). The next morning, she is happy that he did. It may seem to some viewers that Rhett's controlling nature towards Scarlett is abusive. While such behavior would be deemed unacceptable today, kids should know that males were usually the dominant partner in old relationships, and while such attitude is sexist and wrong, Rhett would never hurt Scarlett.
Parent of a 3, 6, and 8 year old Written byJessicaBurton1980 January 5, 2009

Parent of a 11, 15, and 18 year old Written byJulieKryger1970 January 5, 2009

Adult Written bybrattonm_2006 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bySonia Montejano April 9, 2008

it blew me away...

Will be great for families who want a good movie and some history lessons at the same time.. a classic!
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

fantastic movie!

The best film ever made!! It's a classic!!!
Adult Written byGhcool April 9, 2008