Kid reviews for Gone with the Wind

Still one of Hollywood's best sweeping epics.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 August 19, 2009

Couldn't find a better old movie except "Rebecca"

I literally looked for things I didn't like about "Wind," but I COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING WRONG. All the characters are brilliantly portrayed, and you start to feel their pain after a while. Everything's over-the-top drama, but that's what makes it unique, and it's plot and length (nearly 4 hrs.) make it totally unrepeatable.

Teen, 17 years old Written bycopperzinc May 29, 2009

Kid, 11 years old August 25, 2009

The Greatest Classic Ever, But I Recommend It Be For Teens And Above

There is a lot of kissing, and it shows Scarlett cutting a newborn's umbilical cord with scissors, which is pretty disgusting. The whole movie is about war, and in one scene, Scarlett shoots a man in the face. He falls down the stairs, and you cannot see his facial features because of all the blood. Also, some may not like it because it is split into two parts, and it is exactly 3 hours, 59 minutes long. NOTE: It is rated G, but if they had PG-13 back then, it would definitely be rated PG-13.

Teen, 13 years old Written by34soccergirl December 6, 2013

Beautiful Mess

Well, this movie by far is my favorite classic. A rough, four hour film, but I never got bored. Scarlet is a true Southern belle, surrounded by men who love her. The one she has always loved is Ashley, but Ashley is engaged to his beloved cousin Melanie. Rhett Butler meets Scarlet, she doesn't care for Rhett, but he's in love with her. The Civil War hits, and Scarlet and her family lose everything. Scarlet is determined and won't give up. My favorite part about this film is that you see the characters change throughout the film. Scarlet tends to hold on to the past, and not look at Rhett. Parents should be alarmed that: There is kissing, the whole story is based on love and hardship, she is at an army hospital in Atlanta, you hear a man screaming when his leg is being amputated, her daughter falls off a horse and dies, Scarlet falls down the stairs and has a miscarriage, many deaths, her husband leaves her, and the most famous line encludes "da**" in history. The beautiful thing about this movie is that it seems so real. It's life and death, love and hate, and it's how the world was then. Book your night to your TV, and watch this epic movie. -From a 13 year old :)

Teen, 13 years old Written byDMfanCassy August 30, 2011

GREAT MOVIE!!!!

This was a great movie!!!!!! now, the cuss word that Rhett said torward the end of the movie was the only thing that caught me off gaurd, but i was thankful that it wasn't a reallly bad one! There are alot of sad parts in the movie, I was actully suprized that Bonnie died too!!!!! But still a very good movie!!!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written bycraftygirl202 July 14, 2011

Some Iffy Stuff

Gone with the Wind is REALLY good but, don't get fooled because it's rated "G". The film was made in the late 30's, so it would probably be rated PG or PG-13 today. It has violence, some kissing, and occasional drinking. I would not want a 5 or even 8 year old watching this movie. They might think that it would be okay to drink. I think you should be at least 11 or be very mature 9 or 10 year old.

Kid, 11 years old April 22, 2010

A MUST SEE

i first wathced this movie when i was 8 and i fell in love with the story. Now i'm begging my mom to get me the book! The main character is a brat who thinks that she loves Ashley (boy) but in the end she finds out that she really loves Red Butler. It gives a good background on the Confederate point of view on the war and the descruction and cuelity the Civil War was. I love this classic.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymiranda1993 April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written byenglishrider4546 April 9, 2008
this movie was downright AMAZING! kids, even if you don't like older movies, or think love storys are mushy junk, watch it anyway! adults will come to appreciate the quality of this movie, still unparallelled even today. the transformation vivien leigh's character undergoes is tragic, while at the same time inspiring. keep an eye out for two of the greatest lines in the history of both cinema and literature.... come on adults, you should remember these: "with God as my witness, I swear I shall never be hungry again!" "Frankly my dear, I don't give a d***" this movie was one of the first shot in three strip technicolor. It won 8 oscars, one of which was the first to be awarded to an african american woman!! remember, when people say this movie was very suggestive/provacitive, it was made in the 1940's. the 'n' word is avoided, and the swearing is zero to none. remember when viewing this movie that its ohh say, 4hrs long. Younger ones may have to do it in small doses, but anyone over 12 will be glued to the screen from the time the overture sounds, untill the exit music comes dramatically over the screen.
Kid, 12 years old August 12, 2011

A Classic, Long, Epic.

This film, like said, would absolutely never be rated G by today's standards. It is very romantic in some parts. Any film that's about a love story in the midst of the Civil War would never be G now. That said, it is a masterpiece that most older kids would actually be O.K. with watching, as long as they were patient (considering the nearly four-hour length).

Teen, 13 years old Written byMOVIE_RATER February 20, 2016

REALLY A CLASSIC BUT I REALLY THINK YOU SHOULD BE 9 AND ABOVE TO WATCH IT

A great movie. One of the greatest film on earth, but some parent should be aware of kissing scenes,violent scenes and slave scenes for children that are under the age of 9.

Kid, 11 years old June 15, 2010

any age!

It's very long, so young kids will probably fall asleep. you know, every little thing in the movie they put down. it's fine! your kids won't even think about it!

Teen, 15 years old Written byBrigidArmbrust April 8, 2018
Teen, 15 years old Written bygwtwgirl February 4, 2017

Epic classic!

Gone with the Wind has been one of my absolute favorites for awhile. There are many reasons for this: the acting (Vivien Leigh), set, cinematography, costumes, etc. I think that there are some heavy topics in this film though, including sex (none of which shown), violence/war, marriage, and slavery. These topics could be discussed greatly with your children and could be used as a great discussion. Scarlett is an extremely interesting character! Although there are some negative aspects to this film, including the portrayal of slaves, the movie is an overall classic that will be greatly understood for kids ages 12 and above.

Teen, 13 years old Written byink January 23, 2010
Teen, 16 years old Written byLindsayphoto January 18, 2010
I LOVE this movie! It's so beautiful and full of color. It's about 4 hours long and my sisters didn't want to watch this because they thought that it look boring and that it was too long. And about the sexual parts, it will just go over the kids head. And there not as much violence in this movie.(The violences in this movie is much more mild then some of todays movies.) :D:D
Teen, 15 years old Written byWay2Dramatic April 9, 2008

One of the best movies ever made

I have to watch this cinematic classic at least once a year. It is moviemaking at its finest, and astounds me that it is almost 70 years old. Wow. Kids may not enjoy this because of the incredible length and the history (wow, something educational in a movie!), but if they want to watch it, smaller, seperate screenings work best. (Think Gone With The Wind: The Miniseries.) This is told from a southern point of view in the civil war, so there is steriotyping and all black characters are slaves, however, they are treated with respect. Some young kids may not understand that this is in the past and that slavery is bad. But if kids are old enough to know whats going on, and to sit through four hours of it, definately watch it together.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBronzeRain September 24, 2017

TOTAL TIME WASTER

This movie was 4 hours long!!!! I just wasted 4 hours of my Sunday to watch this aweful movie that had terrible characters and a horrid storyline. I kept thinking it would get better, as I've been told it's a wonderful movie, but instead I just ended up wasting my entire Sunday. I really reallly really dislike this movie, I cannot express it enough.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhayal12 March 18, 2017

Sprawling, inconclusive but very entertaining

Often hailed as one of the best ever showcases of Hollywood entertainment, "Gone with the Wind" is to be taken seriously by anyone who takes cinema in general seriously. Made without special effects, we follow the story of Scarlett O'Hara (Vivien Leigh), a Southern woman during the American Civil war - an unpleasant character whose plight we can't help but sympathise with. Melanie (Olivia de Havilland) is the complete antithesis of Scarlett, showing unfailing sympathy, compassion and generosity to those that least deserve it. Particularly memorable are the legendary burning of Atlanta sequence and the heart-wrenching open ending which some may be irritated or disappointed by while others will want to imagine their own outcome. However: be aware of the film's glib attitude towards slavery.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySupernovaUniverse November 9, 2016

Read This Review Before you See the Movie

This is a very very VERY long movie. The movie is probably okay for kids 8 and up but you have to be older to appreciate it. Some minor violence including a man killed by a gun shot. Fire, and hospital scenes.