All parent member reviews for Gran Torino

Adult Written bygosyncro March 30, 2009

A must see Eastwood movie, after you're 16

Very good movie, best I've seen in a long time. Yes it's true that Clint's character, as well as many others, were very racist. Some swearing, a lot of modest drinking. I thought most of the story lines and street scenes seemed pretty realistic. At times the movie was actually educational (about Hmong history), funny, heartwarming, and dramatic. It really had it all. This is a movie I want to see again and will quickly add to my DVD collection. I do believe those 15 and under could be a bit too scared by some of the violence scenes because of the realism of how the movie unfolds.
Adult Written byemdash October 18, 2010

I am over 25 and thought it was too violent. I felt the post rape seen was very graphic. Even though they did not show the actual crime, the very graphic imagery was very upsetting. I would not recommend this movie for kids or grow ups. This movie would be especially bad for anyone who has PTSD relating to sex crimes.
Adult Written byElsie Broxton January 4, 2010

Heart-breaking and thought-provoking

This movie is surprisingly realistic, and in that it is heart-breaking and almost hopeless. For example: - One of the most likeable and most positive characters is raped and beaten; her intelligence, kindness, and courage are to little avail in the face the of violence and cruelty of her environment. - "Doing the right thing" (staying in school, working, supporting family) isn't just ignored by people who don't follow that path -- a young man's peers seek out ways to disrespect and devalue him for making those good decisions. - A priest who loves God is ineffective in his service and outreach amongst gangbangers. - A father's failure to be close to his children begets a new generation of dysfunctional families. This film draws out many serious elements of real life that are pervasive in humans regardless of environment: the racism and cross-cultural suspicion that are at the heart of all of us - our thirst for revenge and retribution - the desire not to be alone - what it means to be a man - the confusion caused by changing times - the burden of guilt from past mistakes - the refugee/immigrant experience - the role of religion. This movie can help to start conversations on all of these themes; it is worth looking for applications to our own lives, whether they are similar to or completely different from what we see in the movie. It is also challenging to talk about greater perspective and higher power that might have changed the outcome of the story, or to wonder what else could have resolved or affected the conflicts and problems. Families, friends, churches, service groups, community organizations, and other networks would find good fruit in watching this movie and talking about how it relates to both their personal experience as well as their life in community. That said, it's hard to take in the dozens of racial slurs (some I had never even heard before) and the images of being shot or post-rape/beating. The film also paints a very complicated picture of what it means to be a man; perhaps the Clint Eastwood character's manhood is old and outdated like his 1970s Gran Torino, but it is still appealing despite its obsolescence and problems. It's a film that calls for a mature response, a critical look from a person who can see the shades of gray in life yet also perceive that there is something better out there than the reality of this film's story, and so I don't recommend it for youth.
Parent Written byPlague December 15, 2009

Gran Torino

Masterpiece! A gand movie for the whole family. Its powerful, funny, and moving. In a way, I think Clint Eastwood's character is somewhat a good role model, once you get passed the rude, racist part. He does stand up for this whole family that he has a racial hatred for, and teaches the boy new things, gets him a job, and saves the family from a intimidating and life-threatening gang run by the boy's corrupted cousin and friends. I also think this movie teaches a good moral to always stand up to those who are getting pushed around no matter what race they are, or cultural country they come from. Because no matter what, we are all humans living in the same world. All in all, dont miss this movie.
Adult Written bychristian2011 August 26, 2013

Powerful and inspiring drama intended for older teens and adults. 16+

A great Clint Eastwood film, besides not being a western. Gran Torino is a powerful and moving tale about a widowed elderly veteran who develops a "father-son" relationship with one of his neighbors, a Asian teenager who is an unfortunate involvement in his cousins gang of criminals but wants to break free and walk on the good path. Like all of his films, Eastwood brings a gritty, stubborn, yet wise and strong performance - and teaches the young man about the vast morals and ethics of life which he has experienced - respect, relationships, humor, wisdom, and ambition. Gran Torino is fine for older teens, in which violence is not graphic and occurs rarely, but can be quite intense and distressing. For the language, it's rather strong and frequent (uses of f**k, sh*t, p*ssy, godd**n, and other vulgar/crude name calling) - but you know, nearly everyone curses, so it wouldn't be any different. There's no sex in this film, except for a heavily implied gang-rape scene where a bloodied beaten woman is seen coming home after the horrific incident. There's several scenes of smoking, drinking, and implied drug use, but nothing too graphic is shown. Gran Torino is actually an emotional and raw experience throughout due to some dramas and quarrels that the main characters tolerates with, especially with his family and his health. The Asian teenager is actually a sympathetic and privileged individual whose cousin is attempting to persuade him to join his bad gang of criminals. Due to the thematic elements, mature subject matter, strong language, and violence makes this a movie for older teens (at least).
Adult Written bychangster.eminem May 7, 2010

Very Powerful Movie With Powerful Message

Personally, I loved this movie. It demonstrated the prejudice many have against others. It starts off with a grouchy old man who hates Chinese people and their kindness towards his brave action. However, it is as the movie continues that he discovers the true potential of giving people a chance. He loses much of his prejudice against his Chinese neighbors and helps them, returning a long time kindness. Very powerful message is in the movie. Even 12 year olds might be able to see this movie just because of the message solely.
Adult Written by4Spice October 24, 2009

good movie teens and adults only

graet movie truth is some parts in the movie might make you fill discusted no kids lots of kussing 15 and over
Adult Written byManic Bulldog February 15, 2009

Vroom Vroom!

I just watched Grand Torino this evening with my father. We both really enjoyed it. Clint Eastwood brought back his original feelings of power and compassion that I have missed for ohhh so long. The movie was VERY violent and held racist attitudes through out. Life lessons are taught and feelings run rampid all through out the film. Not one for kids. I would say 15 + for this one.
Adult Written by1puglife May 18, 2015

One of the best

for those saying the film is too racist.... Get a grip on things. If you had any "common sense" (get it) you would realize he is portraying a racist American that grew up in a time where it was acceptable. To convey the message the swearing and racism caused tension between him and the Chinese neighbours, as well as him pulling up and letting those spooks know that he wasn't having their garbage. He is a great role model. He sacrifices himself to save Toad from the gang members tormenting his family and learned to love who he hated them most. The swearing drinking and alcohol only portray the character as a regular American. You people need to grow up and realize that children are one day going to find out about everything that you already know, so why shield them from the real world? People that look up safety tips for the Internet and moves for their however year old kid need to realize that they will grow up sooner than later. Welcome to the real world. You need to stop quibbling over minutia and look at the bigger picture rather than factors that are oh-so trivial.
Parent Written bygrapelover46 September 12, 2012

This is a good movie but the R rating is accurate.

Adult Written byanonymous57 April 15, 2012

recomended

overall a satisfying movie with a good message however, it would be difficult to find even one paragraph in this movie that you wouldn't mind your kid quoting to their grandmother
Adult Written byPaladin357 March 3, 2012

This is an amazing film

This movie gets a bad rap too often for use of racial slurs, when the main point is to show that racial prejudice is wrong. While the movie is language heavy, teens with enough experience to know better would be just fine seeing this film. It is violent? yes. How violent? Barely. The whole of the film's violence can be contained within six minutes, with the perpetraters recieving due justice from the proper authorities in the end. The main character Walt progesses and learns to let go of his racial prejudice and teaches a young man the values of working hard and that violence should only be a last resort to a problem. There are a couple scenes in a bar, and with Walt drinking, but the focus of these scenes is most definately not the alcohol, having more to do with the conversations than the atmosphere. The acting in this film is superb, and worth while.
Parent of a 18 year old Written byValdoria January 10, 2012

Sad - hoped for more class from Eastwood

Sadly.. they cannot even respect women in making a Clint Eastwood movie which apparently didn't have enough quality on its own merits without the need to exploit and degrade women.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written bylcross November 22, 2010

Good for 12 and up, with some parental guidance.

My 12-year-old son and I loved this movie. I was hesitant to let him watch it, but was glad that we watched it together. Yes, there is drinking and smoking, and yes, there are tons of racial slurs. None of them are portrayed in the movie as positive things, though. There is some violence, in the movie, but more threats of violence and the depiction of the horrible aftermath of violence than the violence itself. The overall messages of redemption, friendship across racial and generational lines, overcoming one's fears and prejudices, and loyalty, are well worth it.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byanduril March 6, 2010

loads of talks afterwards

Adult Written bygamenerd323 November 3, 2009

Don't show your kids!

A man is shot with some blood show, several beatings, a older teen is brutaly beatan while being commented on his race and being called a "stupid f--k" with refrence to wartime and gross war time actions. And even a part were a boy is burned with a ciggarete by another teen who is obviously too young too be smoking, this happens another time where a younger girl smokes. Extreme racism and non-stop language plus some violence makes this beutiful new drama very adult.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bySoda Guzzler August 12, 2009

Adult Written bymattatcommonsence August 7, 2009

awesome movie!!!
Adult Written byREDSOX101 July 27, 2009

Eastwood gives a powerful performance in gran torino

Clint Eastwood stars in this great film about an old drawn out man who i thought needed someone that liked him. He becomes friends with an asain boy who tried to steal his car. The movie is happy, sad, and funny. And for the people that dont like the racial slurs, get a grip! They put that in the movie for humor and to show that he hated those zipper heads! =)
Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byswtpeaami July 25, 2009

This movie is not for children at all. I had a difficult time as an adult woman listening to the offensive language. The "F" word is used repeatedly; and there is constant racial slurs which I find inappropriate for ANY audience. The only highlight is how Clint Eastwood becomes a "father figure" for the boy next door and keeps the youngster from being "dragged" literally, into a neighborhood gang.