All parent member reviews for Gravity

Parent of a 7 year old Written byJeffrey M. Anderson October 4, 2013

The kind of movie experience that "Star Wars" once was

This is truly one of the greatest and most exhilarating popcorn movies ever. It can be overwhelming and somewhat terrifying, considering the vastness (and deadliness) of space, so it's not for younger kids. But for others, it's the kind of movie experience that "Star Wars" once was.
Parent Written byWe Love Movies November 23, 2013

Excellent Movie!

I just saw Gravity with my 11 year old son. The movie is excellent; very intense ... we were on the edge of our seats for the entire thing. The language is NOT significant. Only 1 F bomb (which could be mistaken for another word) and a few S bombs, but nothing outrageous, so don't let the language comments dissuade you. The one "gory" scene of a dead astronaut is predictable, so you can block younger eyes for that minute. Honorable behavior from the characters and an overall positive message. If your child is into Space exploration and science and enjoys movies like Star Wars, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, The Hobbit, then they will enjoy this movie.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byaea309 October 6, 2013

Easily the year's best!!!

In a year filled with action packed mayhem, often not worth the price of admission, this absolutely stunning movie movie outdid them all! This was as perfect a movie as I have EVER seen. Probably since Gladiator. The story was the star of this movie with Clooney and Bullock perfectly cast. No pat happy ending but totally satisfying and life-affirming. My almost 13 year old and I applauded. I don't often see movies in 3D (usually not worth the extra cost) but this one... ah - what a treat!!! While the themes might go over the head of younger ones, this is one of those quality movies to be seen on the big screen, and worth considering taking your 11+year olds to this visual feast. Absolutely fabulous.
Parent of a 1 and 9 year old Written bybowlerskates October 8, 2013

Good and Good for Ya

The CSM review is dead on, so this is more of a +1 from me. The film is all about overcoming hardship and moving forward, something that plays a big role thematically in just about every children's movie, but here it's aimed at a more mature audience so the hardships are a little more visceral, complex, and painful, but are also handled with more respect. For that reason, I think that emotionally mature kids would do well to see this movie as a counterpoint the way a typical kids or teen movie handles life's challenges, where they are just a set up for an awesome showdown, fallen friends are quickly forgotten, a troubled past only makes you cooler and more mysterious, etc.
Parent of a 14 and 17 year old Written bycasandreas October 6, 2013

Visually stunning says it all. Great acting and believable.

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byMattmchugh October 27, 2013

Astounding and intense... Might be too much for sensitive preteens

This is an amazing movie. I saw the 3D IMAX and it was well worth the extra money. I found it thoroughly beautiful and moving. However, for kids, it can be challenging. It can be very slow-paced. Dramatically, it works, but it may tax the less patient. Then, there are scenes of peril that are intense and relentless. There are a few gruesome moments where dead bodies are shown, and a few quick f- and s- expletives. A non-believing character struggles to form a prayer -- something I found interesting though folks with a strong religious or atheist bent might take umbrage (not sure why, but strong religious or atheistic folks seem to pounce on opportunities to take umbrage). All in all, I think mature 12 and up can handle this one. Frankly, it's so good -- visually stunning, scientifically accurate (with a few errors), and emotionally vivid -- I think kids SHOULD see it. It is so far beyond most multiplex pap that it's worth a few challenges. Sensitive young ones might be upset at some points, but if they make it through, the overall experience will be uplifting. - mattmchugh
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bymyndseye711 March 7, 2014

Awesome

This was an awesome movie. Positive messages, excellent acting, great effects. There is one f word. In the beginning of the movie she gets loose (which you can see on the commercial). Her fellow astronaut comes to get her, they hook in and begin heading back. It is right then that she says it. Hopefully this helps so that you can mute it. Also, when they get back, the other astronaut has a hole blasted through his face. I doubt many 11 year olds would be bothered by this. But just a heads up for that. Honestly, there are 9 year olds who could watch this if the language were bleeped out--it just depends on your kid. But if you are avoiding it because of the F bomb--don't. It is barely audible, and now you can bleep it. This is a must see!
Parent Written byizzycoffe December 15, 2013

Amazing!!!

Gravity and Les Misérables, probably are the best movies of this year. In the case of Gravity, this flick is totally a thriller from the start to the end, the visual effects are amazing and they give you the impression of being there up in the space. The plot and the characters are very well developped,and at one point you get to be identified by one of them, I just have to say Sandra Bullock work on this movie is outstanding. The movie violence is very low, but it's pretty intense so definitely not for young kids.
Adult Written byCatholicFirefighter April 23, 2014

Enough swearing already ...

I was only 15-20 minutes into the movie when the "GD" and "JC" cursing began. I shut it off. Anyone with a solid Christian belief will be horribly offended by this movie, adults or otherwise.
Adult Written bychristian2011 February 28, 2014

Intense, provocative and mind-bending. A visual masterpiece.

Gravity is definitely renowned for it's astonishing, realistic special effects and I have to say, definitely not a contradiction - I was just amazed at how the film industry is improvising on the special effects, and a prime example is this particular film. The acting performances by Bullock and Clooney are always great, yet Bullock really projects her emotions and poignant realism into this movie. This movie doesn't just showcase peril and terror, it also interprets faith and confidence. She plays as a medical engineer who is working on a satellite alongside other 2 astronauts, until a huge wave of debris flies and demolishes most of their space shuttle, then the aftermath and revelation of the incident occurs. Gravity is an amazing portrayal of courage and faith, in conjunction with incredible special effects of the setting and background showing a vivid magnified view of planet Earth. Gravity does show a brief but graphic image of a mutilated human corpse, including some indecent language (such as d*mn, h*ll, sh*t). However, if you are claustrophobic, Gravity may be a uncomfortable experience.
Adult Written byJEDI micah October 6, 2013

One of the best movies of 2013!!!

Intense, awesome, thrilling, heart-warming, entertaining, amazing, breathtaking - need I go on?! All of these descriptions make this movie a must-see for people looking to be thrilled while entertained! I can already see this movie being nominated for multiple Oscars! SEE THIS MOVIE!!!
Educator Written byPahaig101 December 15, 2014
Adult Written bykipwalker44 November 6, 2014

Survival tale is visually-astounding, but thin on storyline

Adult Written byccb1996 August 16, 2014

A ground breaking roller coaster of a ride

Fasten your seat belts, you're about to go for a ride. Gravity is a stunning movie that doesn't let up for one second. The story follows an astronaut who is marooned in space and is desperately trying to get back to Earth. It is a feat of moviemaking. The visual effects/cinematography are gorgeous, the score ranging from the perilous to the triumphant, and features a beautifully human performance from Sandra Bullock. You will leave this movie feeling uplifted and dazzled, and reminded that hope can even come out of the impossible. There are many intense situations and some language, but this movie should be fine for kids 15 and up.
Adult Written byslasher23 August 16, 2014

mild scary
Adult Written bydarthsitkur July 19, 2014

it didn't make sense

this is a really boring and stupid movie and it doesn't make sense at all
Parent of a 13 year old Written byJillanjake2 April 4, 2014

It can get a bit sad otherwise a good movie
Adult Written bylototele March 21, 2014

Fantastic, beautiful, intense film

I loved this movie! It was a nail biter all the way through! The beauty of the film's special effects leaves nothing to be desired. The acting was top notch. The film is extremely intense and may be a little too much for younger children who are easily shaken up. However, if you're looking for a great survival film to watch with your kids, this is it.
Adult Written byTekman2014 March 1, 2014

Gravity

This Movie I thought personally was a astonishing movie. Many people thought this was related to science. But, people got a doubt after the rating pg13. Overall this movie I think should be for 12+. It has got some violence, no sex at all, some blood, and some uses of strong language.