Parent and Kid Reviews on

Green Book Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 39 kid reviews

Sort by:

"You never win with violence. You only win when you maintain your dignity."

Green Book is a 2018 drama film directed by Peter Farrelly and starring Viggo Mortnensen, Mahershala Ali, Linda Cardellini and Sebastian Maniscalco. Language(4/5): The film has frequent strong language, including 22 uses of “s**t”, 14 uses of “g****mn”, 13 uses of “hell”, 10 uses of “a**”, 4 uses of “Chr**t”, 3 uses of “f**k”, “t*ts”, “J*s*s”, “pr**k”, “bastard”, “piss” and “balls”, 2 uses of “a**hole”, “G**”, “damn” and “white”, and 1 use of the middle finger gesture and “son of a b**ch”. Slurs are frequently used, including 11 uses of “n**ro”, 6 uses of “c*l*red”, 4 derogatory uses of “black”, 2 uses of “n****r”, “c**n”, “br***o p*d”, “kr**t”, “g**nea”, and 1 use of “j**gle b***ies”, “sp**k”, “sp**l”, “e**pl**t”, “ch**k”, “d**o w*p”, “gr****ball”, "jive turkey", “Jew” and “Cuban”. One scene also includes stereotypes about fried chicken. The film has 135 total curses. Sex, Romance and Nudity(2/5): Kissing is shown. One scene implies sex between two men, they’re naked but with no nudity is shown. Brief sexual curses are used, including. Drinking, Drugs and Smoking(4/5): The protagonist frequently smokes cigarettes almost excessively, and he is shown to have an addiction to them. Other characters frequently use tobacco and smoke cigarettes, cigars and pipes. Characters drink alcohol frequently, one man drinks whiskey excessively, and characters occasionally get drunk. Violence(3/5): In one intense scene, an African American man is beaten up in a bar for no reason, we some blood. Gun threats occur. Several people throughout are unjustly arrested for no reason. A fistfight occurs at a bar where people are thrown around and punched. Positive Messages(3/5): Messages about empathy, equality, kindness and helping people. Positive Role Models and Representations(2/5): Some characters, including the protagonist, are racist, however, the main character learns to look past his prejudices. Stereotypes are frequently used, however. Kindness and empathy are sometimes shown. Watching Experience: Nothing of note with my experience regarding mature content. Quality(opinionated): (My rating) Rated PG-13 For language throughout including slurs, a few brief strong uses and a rude gesture, smoking drinking, thematic material, brief violence and brief suggestive material.

Wow. We rented this as a DVD on the library and it said E for evryone. JUST WHO PUT THAT THERE !?!?!? there's a man named Tony that continuously smokes cigarettes. Also some depictions of whiskey included. Violent. And you can hear at least 3 swears per minute. This is definitively 13+

good movie

This was a very good movie.

AMAZING

This is not so bad as common sense media might have you think. Yes, there is language and violence however it is nothing too crazy. I put the review as 8+ because I watched it with my 8-year-old brother and it was fine. It can also be funny at the same time as being a positive message against segregation. In my opinion, it is a great movie for all to watch.

Best Movie Ever

This was honestly such an incredible film. Our whole family loved it. Expect swearing. Nothing really sexual. Expect some violence. But it depends on the kid.

A true story of racial discrimination

I think everyone should watch this film to understand the whole problem of racial discrimination, because this is one of the pressing problems of modern society.

Oscar-Winning film is moving and inspirational

Great emotional film about race and friendship

Took my breath away

I've been searching for a good movie - one with decent screenplay, plot and direction. This movie provides for all of that and so much more. Its way beyond an average movie. The character development is just stunning. Tony "Lip" Vallelonga, is an Italian man working different jobs to keep the food on the table. Like most, he was racist. He had many prejudices and biases going into the job that would change his life. The storyline continues, as the "Doctor" who is a black pianist journeys into the deep south to play for wealthy white people. These two characters learn so much from each other, and it's truly inspiring. I would definitely recommend this for families to watch, as the discussion about systemic racism will go beyond this movie. I'd watch out for some language but it's predictable considering the racist elements. You're in for a good laugh, many scenes are interlaced with some crude humor. Technically anyone from 9-13+ can watch this, but I rated it as 13 because for an enriched movie experience it's definitely recommended for those watching to have a thorough understanding of racism, so that the movie can enhance their previous thoughts. Overall, this is absolutely a must watch.