Parent reviews for Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? Poster Image

An Essential '60s Classic!

It would be completely understandable if anyone criticized this movie for playing it very safe after taking some severe risks at the beginning, and that in doing so the story not only became progressively formulaic; but the characters appeared to be stereotyped and, worst of all, self-contradictory and inconsistent. That said, the acting here is undoubtedly more than enough to overcome these issues and redeem them, nay, to totally justify these seemingly nonsensical changes and alterations that happened to some of the characters, most noticeably Matt and Christina Drayton. I have seen a lot of great performances that are able to elevate the characters and even the entire movie in general. But, frankly, I have never seen any performance, no matter how superb it may be, that can convince me of what I considered an unmistakably major flaw. What makes me appreciate the acting, in particular, in this movie is that it opened my eyes to some hidden underlying themes of the movie's story, which are more than fundamental to understand the movie properly. If the fabulously realistic and sincere performances, somehow, didn't do the same for you, I suggest you try you figure out some key themes to consider them as you're watching the movie. Two of the most important themes are; the late resurgence of the inherited awful traditions and beliefs, and the undiscovered hypocrisy. Yes, that's how profound this apparently simple film actually is! Of course, the shift in Matt Drayton's attitude could have been executed way more smoothly and maturely; but the abrupt nature of the changes could be fairly, if not quite easily, taken as a reflection of the character's disorder. Spencer Tracy, in his final role, gave, for lack of a better word, a mature performance that made his character surprisingly believable despite its outwardly incompatible attitudes that made the character of Matt Drayton seem to be immensely problematic. Sidney Poitier's performance, as the handsome African-American Dr. John Prentice, is solid, steady, committed, engaging and relatable at the same time. Katharine Houghton captured the rebelliousness, impetuousness, and also the innocence of her character, Joey, so perfectly. She reminded me quite a bit of another Katharine; Katharine Ross as Elaine Robinson in The Graduate, which was, also coincidentally, released at the same year, 1967. But it's Katharine Hepburn who stole the show here with her Oscar-winning performance that I personally consider as one of the best low-key performances in a leading female role I've ever seen in film! I would be lying if I said that I found the second half of the movie half as entertaining and riveting. Nevertheless, the dialogue was much better at the second half (the final monologue is simply remarkable!) as it was at the first, which is noticeably elevated by, once again, the incredible acting. The movie is decidedly filled with stereotypical characters, but the only one that bothered me is the maid, Tillie, whom I didn't find to be funny at all; actually she is quite annoying. Her character's motivations and attitudes are justified, though. Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner is an essential classic 1960s film, and one of the best films that examine prejudice and racism; it tackles its weighty themes with surprising depth, humor and breeziness. It's also very relevant nowadays. And there is no doubt that it has major influences on hundreds of movies that came after it, especially today's. (8.5/10)

Great classic, but some swearing

They say A**, N*****, & B**** in it, but only once. The maid in it is kind of rude and she is the one that says the N word. There is drinking in it, but very casual. The priest in it asks for another drink too like he is stressed and why he needs it. There are arguing moments in between the soon to be groom and his father.They are also say the word sexual. Besides that it is a great movie that came out in the same year interacial marriage was legalized.If they are mature enough to not use certain words and understand the message it would be a great movie for them to watch to learn about this time in history.

Good movie for my almost-8-year-old

I watched this with my almost-8-year-old daughter (going into second grade) and it was a good movie for her to see. She really liked it and talked about it for a while afterwards. We are white and she goes to a very racially mixed school and already in first grade had learned a lot about prejudice and the different treatment of black and white people in the 60's and before (i.e., through teaching about MLK, Rosa Parks, Ruby Bridges, etc.). I explained the movie plot to her in advance, and talked to her about what was happening in the movie throughout the movie. There is, l believe, one use of the n-word, by the black maid when she is talking to Sidney Poitier and upset with him. I didn't talk to my daughter about that and I don't think it registered in any way for her, because I don't think she's learned yet about that word and how it was and is used. There's also some drinking and smoking by adults. Overall, it was an educational movie for my daughter that gave us the opportunity to talk about issues of race.

Must-see for nine and up!

This movie is excellent, an old classic. It has such a positive message and may help open the minds of young children to equality and love between people of different races/backgrounds. I loved it and I think it's very tween-appropriate.

A Compelling Drama...

GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER is definitely a movie you will want to show your kids, and it's a movie that should be shown to everyone. Not only is it a well-made movie (with a winning script and fine acting), but it's an uplifting, positive story about overcoming prejudice and discrimination. The movie, which centers on the family stress revolving around an interracial couple, initially took me aback with its blunt portrayal of bigotry (there are several blatant racial references, and the difference in the couple's pigmentation is often referred to, even by un-bigoted people, as a problem), but as it continued I was impressed by the film's positive elements and good role models. The parents of the couple are both shocked at the revelation that their son/daughter's lover is a different color, but both couples rise above their bigotry to accept and respect the union. The film portrays racism and bigotry in a very negative light, and all of the characters serve as great role models for kids. You will want to see past the frequent, mild language (several "d**n"s and "h**l"s, plus two "b***h"s and one "b****rd") and watch this one with your kids. You won't be disappointed.