All parent member reviews for Hairspray (2007)

Parent of a 7 year old Written byTrebuchet August 3, 2011

Watch it first and decide if your kids are ready

I just watched this with my 7-year-old daughter. She says "It was very very good. The music was great. I loved her dance and that she beat the villain." I wasn't sure this was for little kids, and we watched it together. The part about the civil rights movement was strong stuff, and kind of hard for a child to grasp. But it is important, and a good opportunity to discuss it. The language was mostly fine, words like d**n and a**, but I did have to explain why "Negro" isn't appropriate language today and why it was correct to use it in the movie. There were teens smoking in the bathroom, but again, she knows smoking isn't a good idea. At one point, Pfeiffer's character tries to break up the heroine's parents' marriage, which is not a kid-friendly scene, even if it isn't very graphic. There are some suggestive moments but mostly it is kissing or confined to dance moves. There are police portrayed as bad guys obstructing constitutional rights, but since that is historically accurate I didn't mind it. On the whole, though, it is a lovely, upbeat movie about courage and dancing.
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written bydmlashultlz June 13, 2009

I was concerned about the sexual sugesstiveness of many of the dance moves, the difficultly of explaining to my daughter why a male actor was dressed up as a women. I went with an open mind to this movie, based on feedback from another adult. I found myself cringing through many moments, hoping that most of the innapropriate material was going over my kids heads. In spite of some positive messages, I would not let my kids see this again.
Adult Written byRooster57 April 9, 2008

Awesome movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : )

This was the best movie ever!! we loved it efron and blonsky make a cute pair!
Adult Written byOut of the Box August 4, 2010

A great film with opportunities for smart discussion

This is a smart, fun movie with great acting, dancing, and musical numbers. I took my kids to see it in the theatre at ages 6 and 8. It was over the 6-year-old's head, but we all enjoyed it and fell in love with the soundtrack. When my kids checked out High School Musical, I had to leave the room because the acting was so awful. Hairspray is that rare movie for kids that doesn't insult their intelligence and can be enjoyed by the entire family. And--bonus--the social issues raised were a great springboard to talk about racism, body image, mean behavior, etc.
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009

Adult Written byannataya February 3, 2009

Good times

This fun musical is good for all ages. Most references are harmless...REALLY. Also if you watch with your kids should solve any misunderstanding. ENJOY!
Adult Written bymrbob April 9, 2008

Yeah...

This movie is very lousy, although that is only my opinion. I know that it was supposed to be great, but I didn't enjoy it.
Parent Written byLisaMT April 9, 2008

Definitely for tweens and up

Because Zac Efron and Amanda Bynes were in it, I thought it might be appropriate for my 8 year old. Boy was I wrong. Aside from the smoking and racial situations (which my daughter didn't understand), Common Sense neglected to point out the comment made near the beginning of the movie by the show's host regarding a female member of the dancing cast: "She will be away for 9 months " How am I to explain that comment? Definitely for children who know something about the birds and bees and have some historical knowledge of the 60s. As an adult, though, the movie was fun! LOVED the dancing scene w/ John Travolta and Christopher Walken! ;)
Adult Written bymarcia56 April 9, 2008

Great Summer Movie

I dragged my 10 yr. son with me against his will and he LOVED this movie. He laughed the entire way through it. He now watns the CD and DVD. It was amazing how I had to explain the segregation part of the story. He had no idea that people were so mean to each other over race and weight. I loved the music and enjoyed all the actors especially Nikki Blonsky. There were a few jokes that sailed over my sons head, and a few I had to explain. He oouldn't understand the teachers smoking at school or the two pregnant ladies drinking and smoking at the bar. This was a gerat time to explain a little history and the use of sarcasm and cliches to make a point in a movie. There are very few movies made today that I would see txice, but this is one of them.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byfallcline August 8, 2010

Excellent Movie

I love this movie, it has great messages about acceptance of others, and that our differences actually make the world more interesting. Tracey is a great role model.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byjshill0619 June 16, 2009

You should think first before seeing this with a tween!

This movie is fantastic for adults, but some of the music lyrics are too sexually suggestive and are highly innappropriate for tweens who are highly impressionable and don't need to be learning about sexual matters through music lyrics.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bycrisleem April 9, 2008

Loved it so much we saw it 4 times then bought the DVD

There are certainly some moment that I wish had bee left out....exactly like Grease! Some inappropriate 'sex' type remarks. The movie would have been equally awesome without them. But they were very minor and the movie is so fast moving and hysterical my kids didn't notice. I never notice the same type things in Grease till I was an adult. But this movie was the goofiest thing I've seen in years. We had a blast all four times we sang and danced in our seats the whole movie. Even my husband gave several out loud hard laughs! We bought it the day it came out. It's worth it.
Adult Written bymovienut33 April 9, 2008

Great movie!

Hairspray is a wonderful movie with a huge list of great actors. The songs to the message were brilliant. Parents need to know that there are a bit of sexual stuff like during the song A "Good Morning Baltimore" Tracy says, "There's the flasher who lives next door" and it shows a guy walking down the street and he opens his coat to three ladies. Also the kids from the corny Collins show both male and female take out socks from their private areas. But beside that side note: It was brilliant!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 14 year old Written byCindyls April 9, 2008

Adult Written byjcarole April 9, 2008

Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written bynorthlight April 9, 2008

Hillarious with a heart and message

As an adult -over the age of 40- I thought it was a great movie and provided important social commentary amongst the hilarious situations. The cast is spot on. Though I am usually very cautious and conservative taking kids to movies, this was one I really wanted my oldest to see. We love musicals. However at just barely 10, much was over her head. The rating for 11+ is the correct one. Our post-movie chat emphasized how brave and admirable Tracy is and what great parents she has. The movie is brilliant because there are so many layers. Highly recommend.
Parent of a 9, 13, and 17 year old Written byPie Mama July 30, 2010

Great messages!!!

I love how it teaches that being different is O.K., and to let people be themselves, and love them the way they are, no matter how much you weigh or what the color of your skin is! It also has the message to make your dreams come true! Also,it has very fun numbers and very good actors! There are some scenes that may not be good for kids under 10.(also, girl power!)
Adult Written byMom_and_Son February 10, 2009

One of the best musicals ever was put into a blender with the perfect cast, great music, and a touching message.

This movie continues to be one of my favorite movies of ALL time. The content was chopped up in half and would go over kid's heads anyway. But I realized that you will never see these pefrect actors in one movie, very often. It's fun, upbeat, and great for black history month!
Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Parent of a 4, 6, 9, 10, 12, and 14 year old Written byNerdy_Mamma December 30, 2009