All parent member reviews for Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

Adult Written bychristian2011 January 25, 2013

Definitely a more adult take on the children's book. Filled with intense bloody and gory action, profanity and sexual themes. Alright for kids 16+

Hansel and Gretel : Witch Hunters is like an adult version of the children's fable, with loads of intense action sequences showing demonic witches preying on the townsfolk, with loads of blood, decapitation, dismemberment, and one man walking into a bar (drunk) whom shockingly explodes with gore splattering everywhere. The mercenaries lead by Hansel & Gretel use advanced, powerful weaponry such as gating guns, missile launchers, and shotguns in combat, while the witches transform into frightening creatures which will scare younger viewers. It's a major ironic twist of the fairy tale, similar to the 2012 movie "Snow White & The Huntsman". Language is strong at times (uses of f**k, sh*t, b*tch) and there's a brief sex scene implied by Hansel and another woman in a nearby lake, some nudity is seen (breasts, buttocks). I thought it was a rather witty and exciting take on the original, and the special effects are surprisingly great. However, parents, you all should let your children pass on this one, because it's rated R for a reason. Mature 16 year old kids should handle it.
Parent Written byslipperywalrus July 4, 2013

suprisingly good

violence is gory and also kind of entertaining at the same time. the is a scene where a man and a women kiss in a lake where you can also see her rear end and also some mild language.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byGinger@2 April 25, 2014

GREAT MOVIE

It,
Adult Written bydarthsitkur January 31, 2013

after the gingerbread house incident, hansel and gretel travel around the world doing one thing and one thing only: KILLIN WITCHES

I highly recommend this gore soaked revenge based nonstop action thrill ride to those who like their fantasy films brutal, vulgar, and dirty, and pumped on crack
Parent of a 7 and 15 year old Written byParentReviewz January 27, 2013

Goofy, Gory and a Good Time!

Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters is a more adult take on the classic fairytale that goes more in detail in the backstory and now features the two leads as bounty hunters. The violence is goofy to the point of being comical but very gory and sex is implied along with brief nudity (A Woman's Bare Breast is show briefly along with her backside.) There are about 6 F-Words along with W---e, S--t, and other mild words. It can be intense at some times but the film is mostly comical so I'd say 13+ can handle it.
Parent of a 15 year old Written by3984576 February 27, 2013

Never again do I assume a movie is PG-13!

I was fairly taken back when I took my 15 year old and her friend to this movie and realized that this was NOT a PG-13 movie. Shame on me for not making sure. Within the first 15 or so minutes the f-bomb starts to be dropped. The violence is gory. Not oh here is a bone sticking out of a limb gory but enough that I was concerned. Heads are squished, there is a hanging scene and you see the hanging victim struggle and then die. I would NOT take a child to see it even though it features Hansel and Gretel. It isn't a fairytale story for children.
Adult Written byKitKatKaity June 8, 2013

Awful and Filled with Cursing

This movie is certainly not for children. I'm surprised that Jeremy Renner would agree to be in such a poor movie after his success with movies such as The Hurt Locker, and with the fact that he has been chosen to take on the Mission Impossible franchise and the Bourne franchise. There is tons of violence and the review on commonsense media isn't accurate as far as the cursing. The F-word is thrown about constantly, not just a handful of times. That alone is enough to make the movie near unwatchable. It was a poor attempt to cash in on the styles made famous by movies such as Sin City, Red Riding Hood, and Sucker Punch. Hansel and Gretel just doesn't measure up. The violence is extremely gory, yet so far-fetched as to be humorous and the storyline is lost among the outrageous makeup and characterization.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byYellowbluegum June 27, 2013

Graphic violence! Gorry and disturbing.

Even though I enjoyed the movie, I thought the violence was very vivid and shockingly horrific. It had a troll stepping on someone's head and blood spilling out, bodies dismembered and blood gushing. It's very graphic and in your face. My kids, 8 and 10, will watch violence like Avengers, Iron Man etc, but this is violence of a different level. I'd definitely say 16+ viewers only!
Parent Written byDan G. February 1, 2013

Not for teens of any age!

Parents! This film is not for teens. The film contains non-stop gory violence, the whole movie is based on vengeance, there is female nudity , and the language is the worst. There are multiple reasons that this is rated R.
Parent Written byShivom Oza January 31, 2013

Hansel And Gretel - Witch Hunters (2013) Review by Shivom Oza – Wicked Spin On Iconic Fairy-tale

‘Hansel And Gretel – Witch Hunters’, written and directed by Tommy Wirkola, is a part-gory-part-raunchy-part-comic and mostly-fantasy film. It is based on the continuation to the German fairy tale ‘Hansel And Gretel’. The two siblings grow up to become witch hunters, who get challenged by a group of deadly witches, which are out to attain unassailability. The film offers regular doses of laughter, butchering, witty one-liners and gorgeous ladies. Gemma Arterton (Gretel - the pick of the lot), Famke Janssen (the witch/antagonist), Joanna Kulig, Ingrid Bolsø Berdal and Pihla Viitala look ethereal on-screen (for those playing the witches, only when they take up the human form). You could watch this film just for Gemma! Otherwise, the film is a decent-watch. Something you could watch at home, but not really worth spending money on. There is not much of a story here. Following the original ‘fairy tale’, the film shows the older Hansel (Jeremy Renner) and Gretel (Gemma Arterton). They turn into witch hunters and keep the humans safe! As the ‘ominous’ Blue Moon approaches, the witches congregate to capture the two famed witch hunters in order to attain unassailability. The witches are led by the powerful-yet-evil Muriel (Famke Janssen). Hansel-Gretel, aided by a white witch Mina (Pihla Viitala) and Ben (Thomas Mann). Even though the script does falter, the dialogues are quite witty. The director has focused enough on aspects such as Gemma’s irresistible looks, romantic angle between Hansel and Mina and harmless banter between most characters. So, the film, at large, does manage to entertain. The 3D is non-existent. CGI in some parts is below-par. Action sequences have been well conceived and shot. Overall, the film isn’t extraordinary but neither is it avoidable. A decent one-time watch, YET, it would be advisable you rent the DVD. Decent fare! Worth watching at home! Shivom Oza
Adult Written byIalan2 January 30, 2014

Going for a Ride

I was curious why this movie was mostly popular with the public and panned by critics. There was much action and drama, but it's not going to win an academy award. The theatrical version I viewed did have some profanity and nudity. The nudity there I believe was in good taste. There's ample violence, mainly gore, boys may find fine, but girls may feel repelled. In a little research done, this tale may have originated about 1315, beginning the 'Great Famine' of Europe and a 500 year mini-Ice Age that created many problems and contributed to the culture, economics of the globe. About that time and some years to the colonization of the 'New World', spoiled barley eaten had ergot that caused hallucinations, exaggerated the pursuit of witches and magic was evil. Further, women were seen as 'enchanting', which exacerbated the witch hunting. The moral of the story is to outwit an opponent by being fast, clever, shrewd and have a little fun too. The movie does go for audience sensibilities to express, 'what's normal these days?', as any project would do for success and these tales trend. The actors prepared well for their roles and did a good job playing the characters. I rate this DVD as a diversion. That's my opinion on it.
Adult Written byniall_oreo January 3, 2015