All parent member reviews for Harriet the Spy

Parent Written byaimless1 December 14, 2013

One of the worst family movies ever! Painful to watch.

Ugh, this movie was terrible. It just went on and on and I was hoping it would get better but it never did. Rosie O'Donnell was the worst person for the role of nanny. I thought this movie had terrible messages with the bullying that went on. Then the revenge was horrible to watch especially when she was carving the frenemies names in the wooden desk top. Wow! Sorry I let my kids watch it.
Adult Written bysusie q August 4, 2009
My nine-year-old daughter sat with tears streaming down her face while watching the cruel behavior of Harriet's classmates when they turned on her. No happy ending makes up for that.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

Good story, but you will need to talk to your kids about some things

This is realistic film about a girl who writes nasty personal things in her diary and her friends and classmates find out and all turn against her and bully her. I loved this film and thought the bullying was realistic, but not too intense so that kids could still watch it. The film doesn't initially have a good moral, because Harriet gets revenge on her friends. But she learns from her mistakes. Harriet also goes into the homes of someone and hides and it appears she goes on property she shouldn't be on as well a few times. You may want to talk to your kids about how this is wrong too.
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 16, 2012

Not at all good.

This movie blowed chuncks.The characters are stupid and the jokes are lame.The story is boring as dishwater and the theme song is just ANNOYING! Its just as boring as that horrible show,Hey Dude.Harriet really needs to dump that boy she has a crush on.Please don't watch this movie!
Adult Written byLOVE IT March 14, 2015

I was hard to sit threw

I don't like harriet the spy
Parent of a 7 year old Written byJ's-parents July 3, 2014

Horrible role model. Agony to watch.

Harriet and her friends behave horribly - name calling, planning to poison the "bad" kids, planning to stink bomb the school play. Harriet herself is rude, talks back to her parents and writes horrible things in her private notebook. When the notebook is read to her friends she becomes the outcast and is bullied in a frightening manner. Instead of apologizing, she wages war against the entire class, becoming a bully herself and a cruel prankster. She does nothing positive until 80 minutes into the movie and even then, her apologies are whispered and pouty and she hasn't really learned her lesson. She has a happy ending, but it's not because she changes her ways or apologizes. In the last 5 minutes, Harriet narrates a bunch of lovely thoughts about accepting others etc.. Too little, too late. She's just been a brat for the whole movie and it's been agonizing watching her. Terrible movie.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byAmmazingashley May 19, 2011

Harriet the Spy crazy or enthusiastic?

Having seen this movie i this movie with my two daughter ages 7 and 9 i think this movie is really good. It made my older daughter want to become a spy. She says she won't go into people's houses like Harriet but she will help put away bad guys. Anyone with a child about 7-11 should have them watch the movie. When i was younger my mother read me the book and i would try to act just like her!