Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Harriet

Tubman biopic includes realistic violence, racial slurs.

Based on 1 review
Adult Written byWell-Read1 November 2, 2019

Harriet for Teens not Children

Harriet was an amazing movie. I saw it with my husband and cried and cried and cried But felt pride and inspired. As an African American woman and mother of a 10 year old daughter, I don’t recommend this for children below 6th grade. I recently learned The Holocaust isn’t taught until 6th grade and frankly I feel similarly about slavery and the genocide of African Americans and Native Americans. I would further suggest that for children to get the most out of it 13/14 and older is best. The rating here does matter.

While there isn’t gratuitous violence- there is a lot of violence and it is very contextual, meaningful and in some cases painful. Where there isn’t violence, there is the threat of violence. While it didn’t bother me in historical context- the “n” word Was used and I know some other parents found discussions with their children around that use challenging if not desensitizing. For that reason I marked language.

Having gotten that out of the way, this film is incredibly powerful and inspirational. Harriet is nothing if not empowering and her story is clearly told. It does have to be noted that parts are fictionalized and my 10 year old who didn’t see it but read books about Harriet Tubman told me a set of different facts from her books. We appreciate this however as it has sparked a conversation about what actually existed historically even if not directly to her story.

I love this movie, am incredibly grateful for it and can’t wait to show it to my daughter when she’s in 6th grade.

Adult Written byallyniph November 3, 2019

Really solid movie about Harriet Tubman

We took our 10 and 12 year olds to see this. It led to some good discussions about her life, slavery, and the historic role of women. There is not a lot of violence shown and no language. I think kids need to be mature enough to handle the topic of slavery, and I think these conversations should start early.

Adult Written byOuida P. November 14, 2019

Not for small children

This is an amazing movie! . . . a must see. But it is not for children. The rating is important but please, do not dismiss it as comparable to fictional superhero movies with comparable ratings. It is more intense in that Harriet Tubman is a real person with disturbingly real experiences who flourished in spite of real racist ideology (the fruit of which is still prevalent today). Anyone striving to thrive under the weight of racist systems will feel the origins of that weight in this movie. Anyone who has been called nigger will taste the venom every time the word is used in this movie. And anyone who has experienced painful family schisms (for any reason) will revisit that tearing while watching this movie. There are some who will not simply watch a movie but they will witness the trauma of the events unfolding on the film. The rating doesn't really tell the story of how viscerally viewers may digest this movie. It was intense, too intense for children.

My final thought is that anyone who sees it (particularly minors) should unpack it with someone else.
Adult Written byLorie C. November 12, 2019

Amazing story of resilience, determination and faith

I think it is very important for Americans to know the history of this country as it relates to slavery and it's lasting impact.

Adult Written byngotoc November 4, 2019

Awesome!

Take your children to see this movie! It will give children the sense of reality of what happened during slavery. How blacks were talked to, and mistreated. Kids use the "N" word often when referring to each other. They need to know the context of this word as it was used during this time period in history.

Yes, it is disturbing! It should disturb all of us! If we don't acknowledge it, we are destined to repeat it!

Adult Written byWoh November 9, 2019

O

Should be r for intense and realistic portreals of Slavory including graphic violence and for some language including frequent racial slurs

Adult Written byNanaajir2x2 November 3, 2019

Too long!

The acting was stellar. The story line too long and drawn out.

Adult Written byBenthan November 2, 2019