Parent reviews for Harriet

Harriet Poster Image

Historical biography done well

I was excited to watch this film and remained excited throughout. The acting is superb and the decision to engage fully on the historical time period through clothes, cinematography, and vocal delivery offers an immersive experience. However, the overdone sentimental musical cues grew a bit tiresome and very predictable. But the subject matter and the power of Harriet Tubman's existence and incredible US American accomplishments were well presented so that I wanted to rush out and buy a book on the Underground Railroad and learn more about Tubman.

Great story

This is a powerful movie about a real hero. Watched it with my 11 and 13-year-olds and they didn’t think it was too scary or violent. The scenery is beautiful.

Powerful - Poignant and Conversation provoking

We have watched Harriet two times with our 13 year old daughter and we have enjoyed it together. It was eye-opening for our 13 year old and a great reminder to have discussions about our countries history with racism regularly. While I don't specifically remember any major swearing and the "N" word is used, which is a great opportunity to discuss the word, meaning and why it is offensive and inappropriate to use. There is some violence that is important to the storyline. Just beware that this is a fictional account of a true story so some parts are fictitious. This movie is on our must-watch list for teens.

Disappointing, violent biopic

There is some bloody violence in this film. A man is shot in the hand and a woman is beaten to death. Some language including racial slurs. This was a disappointing movie though, and I was expecting more.

Great Movie!!

I know I selected ages 12+ for this movie, but I believe that as long as you have talked with your children about slavery and things of that nature that are relating to the movie, you should be fine. This was an amazing movie though, it shows positive themes and great role models, but it also contains violence and swearing, and the use of the N-word made me occasionally exit the theater for a little bit. SUB TO ME ON YOUTUBE: Impacted Mango. Wow, I feel like a real critic!

HARRIET

GREAT MOVIE but... (INCLUDES SPOILER ALERTS) LANGUAGE**** There are many uses of the N word, a few uses of the black b**ch, one use of the f**ked up. Some minor language like god da*n it, he*l, and da*n. VIOLENCE**** Black slaves are beaten, tortured, whipped, and raped. There is gun-shooting, and physical aggression throughout. One black man is hit in the face with a gun and he loses his eye. SADNESS**** Black families are separated. Harriet wants her daughter to be born free but her slave owner says no I will sell your daughter. Many other slaves babies are sold and killed. Harriet leaves her family and when her husband thinks she's dead he marries another woman Harriet only finds out when she comes back to take him to freedom, but when she finds out she does not take him with her. Harriet's sister is killed. POSITIVE ROLE MODELS/ MESSAGES**** Many slaves believe in God ask him for the way sing songs and always believe in him Harriet goes back multiple times rescuing slaves and once asking to make the water flow through her and God makes the water shallow.