All parent member reviews for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

Educator and Parent of a 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 year old Written bysomelibrary May 17, 2011

Great for the right age kids!

I think the whole Harry Potter saga is an excellent story about resilience and the power of friendship and love that transcends blood ties. As Harry and friends grew older, the crux of their problems became more mature, so I believe that it is a story best consumed over time- true of both the books and the movie. This movie will be enjoyed that much more by the older set!
Parent of a 2, 6, and 9 year old Written byElizabethW November 22, 2010

I just saw this today and I will definitely say that it is not for children. I think most people know about the questionable scenes by now, so I won't go into them, but it's definitely dark, violent with torturing, and partial nudity. My kids won't see this until they are in their upper teens. As a society we need to stop becoming more and more comfortable with this stuff and start taking a stand.
Adult Written byharedi January 17, 2011

Great movie!

Great for any age that has read the books or seen the other movies. Some scenes were scary, but the kids loved it and so did we!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byrachel4missions December 14, 2010

Practically like reading the book

This is very true to the book, so if your child was able to tolerate the book, they should have no trouble with the movie. However, Godric's Hollow (especially "Bathilda") was terrifying, there are a few really sad deaths of non-human characters, and there is one (kind of hot) scene in which Bellatrix straddles Hermione to torture her. To an adult, the screams are clearly overdone a little (in a good way), but a child might get scared. I know I jumped a lot in Godric's Hollow! Very young children might have nightmares, especially if they couldn't quite handle the book. What worked for us was remind ourselves "it's just a movie, the actors are pretending." There used to be some hysteria over movies, but since we started watching behind the scenes documentaries of movies that caused nightmares, everything has been okay. There were no tears even during I Am Legend! The only comment with the dog was, "Oh, he's not crying very hard because he knows the dog is just pretending. That dog is a great actor." Success!
Parent of a 2, 6, and 8 year old Written byjengrammer November 19, 2010

Not for Younger Viewers

The Harry Potter books are wonderful, but this movie is definitely NOT for younger viewers. I've read a lot of reviews on different sites saying that people took their children as young as 8 YEARS OLD to this PG-13 movie. Children that age do not need to be exposed to the amount of violence in this movie and the sensuality in the scene of an obviously nude H&H kissing. Even if it is make believe it still implies that they are going to or are having sex. I don't believe it matters if you think your child can handle it or not. They don't need to be desensitized to this stuff any more than they already are. Especially by beloved characters. :( I know it's hard when kids love the books so much, but for any other parent out there with the same concerns I have, I recommend waiting until it comes out on DVD and then previewing it and knowing where to speed through for the younger viewers. (Although I still think the 8-10 year old crowd should wait to see it. Even with speeding through the nude kissing scene it still is PG-13 and very intense and violent throughout the whole movie.)
Educator and Parent of a 11, 14, and 16 year old Written byNotAMuggle4 November 19, 2010

I am a Crazy Harry Potter fan. The movie was great. As the review above stated, it is more violent. The characters are great as usual. The only problem I have with the movie was the complete unnecessary scene with the Horcrux image of Harry and Hermione passionately kissing. I saw more than just shoulders- nude backs were also scene. I was VERY embarrassed sitting next to my daughter and she is almost 17. We are just PRO Modesty and Morality. Imagined or not it was too much for younger audiences. I know these kind of images are all over the place- but it was not needed in Harry Potter. The movie fits with the violence you expect to see that. I did not expect to see to characters wrapped naked around each other. I may seem prudish to some, but I don't think scenes like that are appropriate for kids and teens.
Parent of an infant, 5, and 5 year old Written bymdpack May 3, 2011

Excellent Part I - Great opportunity to discuss Coming of Age

We enjoy the Harry Potter series. My wife and I both having read the books enjoy the movies. We have to be sensitive about the content of the books as our kids are very interested in Harry Potter (how can you not be?). This movie does an excellent portrayal of the maturity that Harry and the rest of the group must undergo as they face their fears and experience growing into adult wizards. There are probably kids out there under 13 who can enjoy and appreciate this first part of the Deathly Hallows. I would be certain my kids have read the book before seeing the movie if they are in the gray/iffy age 0-12. This gives parents the opportunity to talk to kids about the content of the film as well as of the book. High marks for Cinematography the scenes and action sequences in this film are excellent!! Great representation of the book.
Parent of a 3, 6, and 8 year old Written byBeingKaren November 18, 2010

If your kids have read it, then it should be OK

I took my 8yo daughter to see this last night and I was pleasantly relieved that she was OK with it, but I would hasten to say that many 8yo's would absolutely not cope with the scary and intense scenes in the movie! Having read all the books and watched all the movies myself, I was firmly persuaded that the film franchise was for kids 12 and over ... but then my 8 year old came home with the first HP book in May this year and she devoured it ... and the next ... and the next! When she got up to the Order of the Phoenix I thought she'd give up but she persevered still. My husband and I discussed her newfound passion and decided that we'd use the HP books as a foundation for some discussions with her about the themes of friendship, loyalty, love, pride etc. We also said she could see the DVDs, and watch DH at the cinema if she finished all the books by Nov 18. And again, I stress, this movie isn't for all kids. Basically, if you know your child can handle scary or intense scenes then they should be ok with this movie. The movie is very true to the book so you pretty much know when something scary is about to happen and if you're squeamish, you have plenty of time to cover your eyes! If you haven't read the books then you'll struggle a bit, and fail to make sense of Nagini, and also the camping scenes which can be a bit intense from time to time. The critics are all deriding the film as being 'too dark' ... which makes me roll my eyes because they're only using the material that JKR wrote! If any of the critics bothered to read the books they'd see that the film isn't departing from the HP tradition at all, it's actually an excellent film adaptation of a fantastic novel. The filmmakers have done a great job of elevating the mood from time to time with some hilarious and touching scenes. A bit has been made of Harry & Hermione's clinch (the imagined scene that Ron sees in the locket) and quite frankly it's nothing my child can't cope with. It's (a) obviously an imaginary sequence designed to terrorise Ron and (b) so stylised that H&H look almost like cartoons (think a gothic Ken & Barbie) and (c) very brief - the big 'kiss' was a blink-and-you-miss-it. If your youngster has READ THE BOOKS then they shouldn't have a problem with it as long as you know they can handle (brief) scary scenes, you warn them that a scary bit is coming and they've been to the toilet before the film (it's long!). It might pay to flick thru the book beforehand and refresh your memory on the first scene at Malfoy Manor, and then again in Godric's Hollow ;) In a nutshell, I'm glad I didn't make my daughter stay home, she simply loved it.
Adult Written byeclipse17 August 8, 2011

Great for MY 9 and 11 yr. old!

My children are 9 and 11. We all went to see it and loved it. I only agreed to this if they had read it first. I felt like they could handle the violence and kissing scene, but think that some children who have not been exposed to such scenes might find it frightening. From my 11 yr. old: There are some scenes that are frightening and surprising and some are bloody and there are a lot of deaths. But if you've read the book, you should be able to handle it. It is close to the book and it was excellent! The characters were being searched for and the movie leaves you hanging, urging you to see the next one. My 9 yr. old says: I really really liked it!
Parent of a 3, 6, and 10 year old Written byFather_Rojo June 25, 2011

Dark and scary - Watch it first without your kid, and then make your decision

My 10 year old daughter is an avid fan of the books, she devoured them. But this movie is too violent and scary. Really dark, and sad. There is not even a single funny moment, nor a joke. This is probably the first horror movie for a kid. I recommend that parents watch it first and made up their minds before letting your children do.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byLexxieGaga24 April 13, 2011

It was an amazing movie but, I hate how it left me hanging at the end.
Parent of an infant, 5, 11, 11, and 14 year old Written byThe Random Reviewer January 2, 2011

Not For Kid, Iffy for Tweens and good for teens

I fell like this movie had to many faults, i read the review and let my eleven year olds watch it and they screamed and where, scared to death and my 14 year old was very terrified! I recommend that no one under the age of 14 watch it and maybe not 13 year olds!
Parent of a 8 year old Written byNHKristy76 December 28, 2010

As adults, my husband and I LOVED this movie. But the entire time we were thinking, "So not for our 8 year old!" She's bummed because she has become quite the fan of the books but she's going to have to wait until at least 13...
Parent of a 4, 9, and 10 year old Written bymockingbird72 December 5, 2010

For younger kids, cover your eyes at ...

Best Harry Potter film yet. Would hate to deprive younger kids who have been following HP because of the PG-13 rating. If you can't wait for the DVD, have them cover their eyes when: the creepy old lady walks up the stairs (snake scene) and when Ron starts seeing visions from the locket (kissing scene). There is a torture scene near the end when Harry and Ron are put in the dungeon. They don't really show anything, but you can hear Hermione screaming. Also, some previews before the movie were inappropriate: Green lantern at a frat party etc.
Adult Written byemily1982 November 22, 2010

Not for Kids

This is a fine movies for adults and older teens, but it is very rough and the nudity had no business being there. I know kids now a days see a lot of rough and sexy stuff but that doesn't make it right. This is an extremely dark and rough movie that kids don't need to exposed to. We don't need to desensitize them. Wait until they are older before you expose them to this.
Parent Written bytreat02 January 8, 2013

Good Movie, in my opinion

I enjoyed this movie, and I think that a lot of people would also enjoy it. Very very minor language, but violence is throughout the movie (not gory, certainly not). Very, very good!
Parent Written byimprove April 4, 2012

This movie is even worse than a typical rendering of a good book.

It never occurs to me that you can consider most books go to the renderer in order to be adapted for the screen. Usually, the process is somewhat disturbing, and if you know the book upon which the movie was based, you'll find a thing or 2 you had hoped to see, but were cut out of the movie. With long books like the Harry Potter novels this is naturally something to be expected. My kids and I have read all of the books more than once, and the main problem we have with this movie (and most of the HP movies after the second one), is that aside from parts of the story being omitted, new content has actually been fabricated. Considering how much material was not used in order to make the movie a reasonable length, we have yet to find anyone who can explain why new content was fabricated at the expense of original plot. I realize this movie has been out forever, and most people have seen it, or at least have seen the trend the movies leading up to this one in the series were taking, but I think you should know you just get snippets of the story, and presented with a lot more doom and gloom than is necessary. I think that you are better off listening to the audiobook of this, as the reader does such a great job that you feel you are actually watching the movie. Except it is better.
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 15, 2012

Not the perfect Harry Potter Movie.But still good.

This Harry Potter movie is OK.It is action packed,very colorful,and REALLY funny.The flaws are that the voice acting is trashy and that some characters are stupid.
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

Harry potter 7; d.h. p-1

epic movie series is all most at an end ,not excited for the end.
Parent Written byK-sue September 6, 2011

Horror flick--absolutely inappropriate for children.

I can't imagine how this would be recommended to kids. My husband and I felt like we were watching a horror movie. The torture scene at the beginning was simply horrific, and things didn't get better as the movie wore on. I loved the Harry Potter films until this one; this has gone too far. My children will not be watching this one.