All teen and kid member reviews for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

Kid, 11 years old April 22, 2011

GOOD MOVIE

I loved this movie there were only 2 scary things in it and 1 kiss I don't think it should b rated PG 13 but PG
Teen, 14 years old Written bywritergirl8 November 20, 2010

Felt awkward having younger kids in the theater...

I absolutely loved this movie! I'm an ardent Harry Potter fan (Read all the books, write/read fanfiction, watch movies frequently, ect) and so I went to see the midnight showing. I wouldn't drink anything because I didn't want to have to get up and pee, but the movie was so interesting I didn't need a drink to keep me awake! I'm a big time Ron/Hermione lover, so I was especially satisfied with the movie. I wrote a list of brilliant R/Hr moments so that I wouldn't forget them! They were wonderful, little things, little glances, touches, hugs... just awesome. One issue I had was not with the movie, but the audience. People were bringing very young kids to the movie because they'd read the books and thought it was okay. Apparently, the PG-13 warning wasn't enough. The movies are graphic versions of the books, and they DO go all out. It was terrible having the young kids in the theater and thinking, "Oh my god. This kid is seeing this." It took away a bit of the enjoyment, because there was a 7/8/9 year old in my row and I kept glancing at his face, which was not that of a child who should have been seeing the movie. The movie starts out emotional from the get-go, when one of the characters takes away her parents' memories. This may be rough for young children to handle. I'm a teen, and I almost burst into tears at the sight of this character vanishing from all the photos she was in. It might weird out a young kid to see Dan Radcliffe in various states of undress and in a bra in one of the early scenes. Two huge deaths take place within minutes of each other, and one is a biiiiig character that everyone will be upset to see die. The character's limp body is shown falling out of the sky, and then not given one mention after that, which I thought was awful. Someone's ear is cut off, and there's a disgusting amount of blood (my mom had to hide her face). Later, they make a joke of it. Much of Ginny's back is exposed to Harry, and they make out for quite a while. Ginny's brother actually sneaks into the room, grinning, and watches them for a while before saying, "Morning," which had everyone in the audience laughing, but was pretty weird. At the wedding, people are attacked, and teen characters go directly for their romantic opposites. At a cafe, the trio is attacked by adults, and then are forced to take away their memories. There's fighting between friends and loved ones. A woman is suspended in midair with death eaters looking at her, then eaten by a snake. The trio knocks out three adults and impersonates them at the ministry of magic, then stuns an official. Ron's man's wife kisses him, and then he melts back into Ron as she does so, making it very awkward because he's underage and she's in her late 20s or early 30s. Ron's bare chest is shown, and he's bleeding very badly because parts of his arm is missing. A snake pops out of a woman's body, and it jumps out at you surprisingly a few times, which made everyone in the theater gasp in shock. Several times, the trio is betrayed by adults, and adults try to harm these young children. The worst part was when Harry and Hermione make out. They are very, very clearly topless, and you can easily see the curve of Hermione's breast. This is awkward, especially when you know that it's Ron's worst nightmare, and he and Harry are both LOOKING at it. This was not as sexual in the book, so everyone was surprised and a little disgusted. What made it worse was the fact that Ron and Harry didn't talk about it when it was over, unlike in the books. A character is tortured, and you can hear her screams and cries very well, and derogatory word is carved into her skin when it's over. A beloved character is killed by a knife, and his death is long and drawn out. Many people, including myself, were sobbing. But, while this may sound like I'm saying the movie was awful, it really wasn't. Quite the opposite, it was epic. I'm just listing things parents might find as issue.
Kid, 12 years old August 25, 2016

My Favorite Harry Potter Movie

While I have enjoyed all of the Harry Potter movies, this one is my favorite, with Deathly Hallows: Part 2 a close second. It, in my opinion, is better and more interesting than Part 2. With Fantastic Beasts, a prequel to Harry Potter, coming this Autumn (thought I am looking forward to Doctor Strange more), I might as well review the Harry Potter movies by now. Have already seen it and want others opinions? Want to know if your children should see it? Either way, onto the content! Action Violence: Quite intense, more so than the previous Harry Potter films. A woman's body is shown hanging from the ceiling, upside down. Her wounded face is shown and she appears to be either dying. Her flying body is then struck down by magic and falls onto a table. Several magicl wand battles between good and evil sorcerers. Any injuries depicted result from magic and not real violence. Magic causes a face to swell briefly. Many characters are killed with magic. It is implied that a snake eats someone. A guy loses an ear and the side of his face is seen to be bleeding. Ron's arm is injured during teleportation, and deep wounds are briefly seen before being magically fixed. Blood is shown on another character's hands. Frightening Images: There is a jump scene involving a snake attack. Wand battles can be intense, and many supporting characters die. A scene involving a magic locket briefly trying to drown Harry Potter, which some may find scary, and some magical visions shown are abrupt. More injury is shown in this film than any other film in the series. The appearance of Voldemort continues to be frightening, made perhaps intense by his big involvement in the film unlike previous ones, and the fact that evil wins and Harry is on the run. Sensuality: Pretty brief. A hallucination shows Harry and Hermione kissing naked. They are not actually having sex, but you could easily mistake it as so.
Kid, 10 years old August 29, 2010
can tell by the preview its gonna be the best.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTV man 13245768 November 5, 2015

A SEVENTH MOVIE TO THE MAGIC SERIES

The seventh movie is way more intense than the other films. The action is incredibly gory not to mention a girl dies from a snake biting her. You do not see the snake biting the woman. There are way more deaths in the film and you do see dead bodies. Good people fight against bad people and it becomes really intense. There are scenes where people are being tortured. A girl in hanged upside down with tape stuck to her mouth so she cannot speak. A man who turns into a snake tries to kill Harry Potter. Harry manages to kill the snake before it killed him. People are cursed and attacked. You see cuts and wounds which includes blood. Harry nearly dies because of his necklace which has been cursed. He is swimming when it becomes tighter and tighter. Luckily he manages to remove the necklace in time. Ron leaves Harry and Hermione because he thinks that they have been secretly dating. There are plenty of flirtatious jokes and flirting. People kiss and Ron has an evil curse on him. Whenever he sleeps he has dreams of Harry and Hermione kissing nakedly. You do not see any nudity. Harry's friend asks him to zip up her dress. You see her back and nearly her butt. After he zips it up for her, they kiss for a long period of time. The language is normal including the words piss ass hell damn etc. There is no drinking drugs and smoking. I would say that kids age 12 and up can watch this movie. It is more intense and there is plenty of more inappropriate scenes.
Kid, 10 years old April 24, 2015

Harry Potter - honest review - 10 year old

This movie is one of the most intense I have ever seen. There is one scene in which a child gets an inappropriate word carved into there arm with a knife. Definitely hold off on letting your child see it they are at least 10 (I just saw it recently). Even if they have read the book, the movie is very different and much more violent.
Kid, 12 years old November 20, 2015

Awesome!

I love all of the Harry Potter movies and I loved this one! If you haven't seen it then you totally should! I love it and hope that you will too! :)
Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2015

Deathly Hallows is definetely the most mature yet.

A very questionable scene at the start where Voldemort first tortures a women then a snake eats her alive. Also a galore of blood, partial back nudity, longing looks and even a scene where an evil Harry and Hermionie are naked and kissing, but nothing explict is shown. Lots of flashy wizard fights, very scary Death Eater and Voldemort scenes, also some bloody hellls and British slang. Some positive messages about followthrough, forgiveness and loss. For some sexual scenes and violence, it is defenitely more intense then all the previous films.
Kid, 8 years old May 15, 2015

Another amazing Harry Potter movie, but is way more violent than others.

My rating PG-13 for: intense bloody violence, racy talk, including brief language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byILikeReviewingThings March 23, 2015

GREAT! But 13 +

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 is a AWESOME! But it is violent, a bit sexual, BUT IT'S GREAT!!! Violence includes lots of killing and torturing. First of all, Ron gets severely injured when he tries to "apparate", Hermione is tortured by the evil Bellarix who carves the word "Mudblood" into her arm (that was probably disturbing but somehow I just love that part). And a character gets hit in the stomach by a knife and dies. And Voldemort's face disgusts everyone doesn't it? The movie gets a bit sexual when Ginny asks Harry to unzip/zip (I don't remember) her dress dress and it shows her bare back. Well this movie is fantastic but it's rated PG 13 for a reason, isn't it?
Kid, 8 years old April 20, 2011

Not really for kids under 12

(Spoiler alert!) I love it! The death of Hedwig was terrible, and Dobby, plus George made a terrible joke when his ear gets blown off. And in one scene Ron is tormented by a Horcrux showing a monster that shapes Harry and Hermione with no clothes on and kissing (it's blurry), but my dad has very low standards for movies and there are only 2 parts in it that are inappropriate.
Kid, 12 years old March 13, 2011

Great, sad, scaryish, inferior to the book, can't wait until Part 2!!

It was really good, but I didn't expect that awkward scene... However, I was also sad when "that key character" died. I cried in the middle of the theater. My least favorite part was when Bellatrix carved "mudblood" into Hermione's arm;I wish that hadn't made the final cut. The book was better...but the movie was great. Compliment me if you can't wait until the next one!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byella_arabel August 26, 2016

Great movie

I watched this for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoyed watching it. This movie is a perfect example that movies are never as good as books. There were a lot of key scenes in the book that were not included in the movie. It is definitely darker than the first couple of movies, more death, but overall it was really great and I would highly recommend it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byHBayazeed August 15, 2016
Teen, 13 years old Written byOliviawhissexoxo August 15, 2016

Fabulous

This is one of the best Harry Potter movies all though it is very jumpy and has scary scenes. There is some romantic moment and parents should be advised that children probably will get freightened.
Kid, 12 years old August 6, 2016

Much darker and much more blood

While this movie is one of the best in the series, it has definitely left the vast realm of the kids' films. The 7th adaption of the bestselling book series by J.K. Rowling has a much higher body count, and much bloodier than any other Harry Potter film, especially when George's ear is cut off, Ron is Splinched, Nagini comes out of Bagshot's body, the entire scene at Malfoy Manor, and when Dobby is murdered by the blade of Bellatrix's knife. The body count is very high (Moody, Scrimgour, Dobby), along with countless others. However, this movie will not disappointing Harry Potter fans around the world, with magic, thestrals, dementors, and the aforementioned Dobby the house-elf, along with plenty of action sequences. Fans will be itching with excitement for the next film Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. Even if it is way too intense and bloody for most younger fans of the franchise, it still lives up to the reputation its predecessors left.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIAMAWESOME June 18, 2016

The Graphic One...

I feel I speak for others when I say it was fun to watch these movies not just for the magic but also to see the kid actors grow up. However in this one we see teenagers transitioning to young adults. As if it can't get any more graphic, they have to deal with the Horcruxes which brings out every characters other side. While it is a kids movie there are still some mature themes to watch out for.
Kid, 11 years old April 14, 2016

awesome movie!

is a super amazinhg movie, and is not inappropriate. the only thing that might not be good for kids is all the deaths.
Kid, 12 years old April 14, 2016

Harry potter series gets darker, a magnificent movie

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 is a great movie. Not for younger kids. Movie is very dark, not to much action. The movie seemed to go on forever, which was a bonus. The gang has to rely on each other more than ever to escape Voldemort's grasp. Good plot, epic movie.
Kid, 11 years old April 9, 2016

If you know what your scared of it isn't that bad!

I saw the movie a month ago and loved it so much. There are quite a few deaths and one really sad one at the end of the movie. There is the one scene in Godrics hollow with bathilda bagshot which is extremely scary when nagini comes out of her neck. A character gets tortured and Harry and Hermione do have a kiss and during that time they are node. One character also drowns. But the movie was amazing and wasn't that bad.