Parent and Kid Reviews on

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 52 parent reviews

Sort by:

Really good movie for kids who can handle it

Much like the 4th Potter book of the same name, Goblet of Fire lets you know from the very beginning that the Potter films aren't for younguns anymore. The film is full of teen drama and romance that wasn't nearly as prevalent in previous Potter films. Lots of focus on relationships and jealousy, and suggestive comments are made about/between students. One female character (a ghost) shows blatant sexual interest in Harry and attempts to watch him nude while bathing. A bitter jealousy-fueled feud between Harry and Ron leads to some bickering and the occasional (mild) swear word. The film is also darker, grittier, and bloodier than previous Potter films with dark and foreboding themes as Voldemort's evil forces make their resurgence and cause destruction in their wake. A sporting event is razed to the ground by a group of Voldemort's soldiers with widespread destruction and implied civilian casualties. In each of the TriWizard Tournament tasks, characters are injured, kidnapped, and have their lives threatened by magical beasts and dangerous locations. Harry is injured and tortured by enemies as he is restrained and hopelessly surrounded by bad guys. Three characters are killed by bad guys (2 of them on-screen). The deaths are caused by magic and are therefore bloodless for the most part, but one of the scenes is particularly jarring: A boy is killed on-screen by an adult in the last act of the movie in a very visible manner and close-ups of the boy's body are shown multiple times, complete with an overwhelmingly grief-stricken father sobbing over the body near the end. The scene is relatively quite disturbing and might stick in your little ones' minds. All of that being said, the movie is good! Another entertaining installment in the Potter franchise. The film's pacing can be pretty slow in the middle with lots of focus on teen drama and the TriWizard Tournament. These parts feel like they don't have much bearing on the overarching story with Voldemort and the bad guys which becomes the main focus towards the end. The action scenes look good with lots of convincing special effects and choreography that help bring them to life. As always with Potter films, the soundtrack is stellar and fits the scenes quite well. Same goes for the locations/setting choices. After 3 previous Potter films, all of the teen actors/actresses are seasoned performers and they all give great performances, although some of them still retain a bit of youthful awkwardness but it doesn't interfere too much. All in all, it's a really good film if you think your child can handle it. I remember watching this as a 9-year-old child in 2005 and being pretty emotionally jarred from the last act of the film. Quite similar to the way my 8-year-old nephew reacted when he got to the end very recently. At the end of the day, always consider what you think your kid can handle and use your judgement, but generally speaking, I wouldn't show this to kids under 11.

3 people found this helpful.

Good summary of the book, starts the transition to more tween topics

If you've read the book, you know it is a long one. The movie does a good job of summarizing - aka going quickly through the main storylines of the book. If you're a purist, you would likely prefer to have two movies instead of one. For younger kids, there are some sections that will likely go over their heads. Specially around romantic relationships. For those same kids, the scary scenes might need to be fast forwarded or muted with your voice over (thinking about the senes with Voldemort). Our kids are younger (6,7) and it was okay. However, not alone.
2 people found this helpful.

No worse than movie 3, don't let the PG-13 rating throw you off (there's a reason the movies go back to PG later). Almost clicked on great messages. Myrtle's scene isn't too bad, but gambling is.

This is our kid's first PG-13 movie because it wasn't any worse than movie 3, it's far less dark. There's not the same level of vengefulness, rebelliousness, and the swearing is pretty much the same. The climax is really what most people are claiming is intense, but everything else is the same if not even better in concerns. You half see a character cut off a hand, but not really, same with when blood is drawn from Harry. There's several instances of wands being driven deep into people's skins. The only thing that's super bad is a graphic cut on Harry's arm that Dumbledore stares at (was that really necessary, no, and was it necessary to go to PG-13 because of that, no). I doubt it's because there's death--there's deaths in cartoon movies. The dementors and the dark forest you've probably already seen are far scarier than Voldemort who'd seem a gentleman had his nose not looked so odd. Be aware that the teachers are very traditional; Snape for instance hits Harry and Ron hard on the head with books when they don't behave, and he continues to be intimidating. I wouldn't worry about Moaning Myrtle's dives into the giant hot tub. She teased Harry a lot, but your kid may more get the impression that she loves to tease. It's more of an invasion of privacy to get a reaction than to be a pervert (she does give him a glance to encourage him to pull more bubbles over himself); there's no comments on his body parts though. If it was a little tub instead of a public tub I'd be more concerned. She does mention that all the bubbles on a handsome person had almost popped when he was sitting in the tub, but it's clear that Harry has a lot more bubbles concealing him. She does go under the water to look at the egg he brought but she doesn't look up at him nor do you see him much under the water. The mermaids are topless but they don't have much of a feminine figure--they're more creatures than people. One thing that is disgusting is that someone is forcibly turned into a ferret and they are directed to go down another student's pants! You're still more watching this movie to have fun and bond, but there's a lot more emphasis on self-sacrifice and not being a greedy winner which was nice for a movie that was fast-paced. Consequently you do get less of the obnoxious Hermione/Ron antics, but it's still there. Hermione still plays the know-it-all matriarch, "off to bed", "you told me you figured this out weeks ago," pushing him forward to accept his name being drawn from a cup, and even wrapping Harry in a towel and kissing him on the head after his swimming event--these aren't as caring as they sound, most are pretty rude. Ron does show interest in the French girls and mentions he likes looking at them (and he does like looking at them from behind) and they do kiss him a couple times; meanwhile he treats Hermione like she's his last resort choice, and Hermione gets even with him consequently. That's not the only controversial message, and this is kind of gross, there's a girl who is doing a bit of a need-to-go dance, and Ron and Harry mention that something looks like it needs to burst forth from her and laugh. It's possible though that they may be talking about her complexion. We don't ever get to know this girl, all we know is that she's on the heavier side and her complexion is suffering; it sends a message that girls who aren't as beautiful get gossiped about (I don't think she's ugly, but she stands out and doesn't smile which weighs down on her appearance). Contrast this to Hermione looking like Cinderella coming down the ballroom stairs with shiny satin cones around her bust like it's the 50's (thankfully most of the other ballroom dresses are really tame; more coverage and clean dancing than your local high school dance which I appreciated)--keeping in mind that in the book she has buck teeth and frizzy hair, so the movies are trying to drive in the message that pretty girls make better heroines, not as attractive girls are ripe for the picking, that's why I couldn't click on great messages. It was also concerning when the children gathered around and said "fight, fight, fight!" Egging fights on at school is how people get hurt. Someone eats a bug/food out of Hagrid's beard, so you still see something gross, but it's not as bad as movie 2. Ron gets teased a lot, there's a lot of pressure for boys to act masculine, and Ron is given a hard time. Girls follow the manly boy around. At one point Ron asks Harry to kill him simply because he's made to wear lace (some of the more traditional families dress like they are from the colonial times). Most people might find these funny, but I know it's going to make some families uncomfortable. It's decent quality for being fast-paced, but there's something missing, maybe more closure is needed at the end, or the Dursleys are needed, or maybe just a better line than "you see, people change in the maze," because that was ridiculous, or perhaps Dumbledore needs to tone down his hate for Karkaroff for being a conspiracy theorist--whatever happened to the benevolent Dumbledore? Be aware that there is a lot of gambling in this movie.

Holy smoke- terrifying!

I hardly watch tele or films, so I guess I'm not so desensitised. Geez, didn't like it at all. Brutal. Unnecessary. I'm not remotely religious, so I'm not damming it on those grounds, so my worry is the psych of the kids. People say all the great things kids can learn from Harry facing adversity, but I think people are sadly a little less selective about what they absorb as influence, in so far as: as animals we see, then we do, and there is some really aggressive nastiness in this film. Nah, really skip, I don't think this needs to be in anyones head. I'm a woose and found it upsetting, and distressing to think so many small people have swallowed it. Kia kaha.

Not for christians

Murder, magic, witchcraft, the occult, strong violence, ghosts, spirits. Most occult movie made for children. Avoid.

1 person found this helpful.

The most spectacular film in the franchise.

The most spectacular film in the franchise. The main characters become teenagers with all these problems. Unfortunately the ending is very dark and bitter.

Amazing but nudity..

Amazing movie, I must say it has so nudity but nothing to bad. 11+ AND AMAZING!

good movie for 3 and up

My 3 year old loved this so much she watched it over and over again.Yes there are some violent parts but thats about it.

Potter gets PG-13 treatment from here on out

This was my first PG-13 movie! For Fantasy violence, frightening images, and scenes of Dumbledore speaking CALMLY. “HARRY YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIRE!?”