Parent reviews for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

First Potter movie is a magical ride but also intense.

Parent of a 5 and 7-year-old Written byJamie and James March 15, 2010

Wait till' they're older. GREAT MOVIE!

You see, my kids don't watch a lot of movies, but sure enough, they loved the fantasy in this. Truth be told, I I probably love it more than them. Parents, kids won't really get into this movie until they're older than 7(probaby 9), but then you can't take them away from these movie-I know from experience.

Parent of a 3, 5, and 7-year-old Written byMamaLlama3 October 13, 2011

Great movie but more appropriate for older kids

I really enjoyed this movie. The books are much better, but the movies are still very fun. However, I don't think it's appropriate for my 7 (almost 8) year old. He has really enjoyed the books, but a book is usually only as scary as you make it with your own imagination....it's different when you see everything come to life on the big screen. The scene with Voldemort and the unicorn in the forest, Voldemort's face on the back of Prof. Quirrells' head, etc. Those are things that I think are still a little much for my son. I think I'll wait until he's a little older before I let him see this one.
Adult Written byMusicgirl23 July 1, 2011

10 is a good age to start...

Perhaps I am somewhat old-fashioned as a 20-year-old, but having seen this movie when I was 11, I feel that a rating of 10+ is appropriate, just like I feel that is about the right age for starting to read the books (especially as they are all in print). The reason I feel this way is in part because, once they get started, it will be hard for them to stop, and I DEFINITELY would not recommend anything past book three for younger than 10! Plus, I feel that fantasy needs to be approached carefully, especially if your religion looks at things like witchcraft in a negative fashion. It can be hard for young children to realize that little of what happens on the big screen is possible in real life, and it's easier to wait until they are able to seperate them.
Adult Written byhelsingmusique October 5, 2014

The Beginning of An Era

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is a lovely movie, it's filled with excitement and magical creativity. I think these are some of the best childrens' books and movies around because they teach good lessons, they have good role models and they teach people truths, not everyone who seems good is and not everyone who seems evil is either. This is the film that really kicked the franchise off and made it go mad in a good way, kids around the world and adults love it, and there's a reason. It's a good story, it's lovely, and it starts with a boy named Harry who lived under a cupboard, forgotten and shunned for being odd. He then ends up going to Hogwarts and his life begins, he makes friends, goes on adventures, attends class, he's learning and discovering things not only about himself and his family, but about his friends, his courses, the people around him in general. I wouldn't call any of the scenes in this movie frightening, the most frightening scene is a scene near the end, which doesn't last long, doesn't hold much violence and is quite tame.
Parent of a 1 and 4-year-old Written byrlm10706 February 1, 2011

We love HP!!!

We are HUGE Harry Potter fans in our house. My husband and I have read the books at least 5 times each and we have seen the movies countless times... literally, I could not count the amount of times that I've seen them. Both of our kids have been watching Harry Potter since they were able to watch movies. There can be some scary parts, but that's why we watch with them. I think as long as you watch with your kids they will be fine. That way you can talk about anything that's a little scary for them.

Parent of a 7 and 9-year-old Written byNiche March 7, 2010

Too loud and frantic in the tense moments for us

Our family does not like any of the Harry Potter movies. These movies are too frantic, tense, loud and packed full of so many busy special effects we all had a headache afterwards. Maybe we all enjoyed the books too much to like the movie versions.
Parent of a 4 and 6-year-old Written byParatrooperWife October 19, 2009

Rare...parent with young kids who love this movie

I am one of the rare parents who allow my 4 and 6 year old kids to watch this and the first Harry Potter movies. The movies after these too are just WAY too intense for my kids and won't allow them to watch them until they are MUCH older. Socerer's Stone is one of the two I don't mind them watching. Yes, there are parts that parents should definitely talk to their kids about (death of Harry's parents, unicorn death, Voldemort's possession of Quirrel, Quirrel's death). Those parts and a few others our 4 year old still wants to have clarified when he watches. But he is obsessed with this movie! He and our daughter love the fantasy and magic of it all. I have made HUGE deal about all of it being pretend, just a story. My kids have embraced that and are able to enjoy movies like this without negative repercussions. I particularly like the fact that my 6 year old can see how strong and smart a girl Hermoine is compared to all the other characters. Again, I am the rare parent who knows what my children are able to deal with and understand. Parents...watch it first and decide for yourself!!!

Parent of a 1, 8, 10, and 14-year-old Written bythejokerspencil February 21, 2009

Just like the book

Good Movie
Parent Written byHeather M. July 9, 2019

Adult Written bycourtsport April 29, 2011

perfect for all ages

this movie is perfect for all ages im 18 now but i grew up on these movies and books and i loved them and looking back now i believe that every kids should have the chance to see these exciting movies and should have the chance to fall in love with them just as millions already have.

Educational Value
Parent of a 8-year-old Written byuusarahmcg September 29, 2009

Great for getting my child to be interested in reading

I love that my daughter is crazy over Harry Potter and I give this movie all the credit for her reading level jumping from remedial to advanced last year. After seeing the movie, she was determined to read the book on her own and then started reading the second one. I love the messages of loyal friendship in this movie.

Parent of a 11, 13, and 13-year-old Written bysay NO to forni... August 5, 2009

inappropriate for most

While many fantasy movies contain magic elements this one is nowhere close to the clear morality or dominion established in the works of Tolkien.

The harry potter series is inappropriate for minors who are not already WELL formed morally.

The harry potter series presents a host of logical contradictions, and most troubling endorses subjective morality.

While I found the movies entertaining they were also irksome on too many points to allow my children to watch them or read the books.

Parent of a 9 and 11-year-old Written bymarkegiani June 30, 2020

Adult Written byAdalee Williams June 5, 2020

My 2 year old enjoys this movie!

It's a really good movie, and if your kid gets scared easily then I don't recommend. It's the most appropriate Harry Potter movie, too!

Adult Written byAlissaBC April 26, 2020

Magical, timeless, wondrous

Parent of a 4 and 8-year-old Written byamanda.komal84 April 25, 2020

For an older child who does not scare easily

requires a level of maturity that most young children do not have. Easily can cause nightmares.

Adult Written by80sChild April 15, 2020

Adult Written bythebaileyh November 27, 2019

A magical adventure for kids and adults.

As a Harry Potter fan, I have had quite a few parents ask me whether or not their kids are old enough to watch the movies. It's not an easy question to answer because every kid is different, and so is every Harry Potter movie. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is the first movie in the series, and it was definitely made with kids in mind. Not all of the movies are as light-hearted and tame as this one. There is still some PG-level violence and a few frightening images that might scare really young children, but I'd say that once your kids are between the ages of six and eight, depending on the kid, you have nothing to worry about as a parent. There are only a couple of intense scenes, none of which are very graphic. Most of this movie is filled with fun, friendship, and magic. Really young kids probably would not follow along with the plot anyway. There is no sex or nudity in this film, not even a kiss. A married couple is shown sleeping in bed together once, and that's as romantic as this Harry Potter movie gets. There is some violence towards the end, but like I said, nothing very graphic. Harry, Ron, and Hermione go through a series of obstacles that might be a bit intense and suspenseful, but they are pretty tame up until the last obstacle. During the last obstacle, the three friends play a game of chess with life-size pieces. They pieces smash each other, and the kids receive some scrapes and cuts, but there is minimal blood shown. Ron falls from one of the chess pieces and passes out but he doesn't look hurt. Towards the end of the film, Harry confronts the villain. This is probably the scariest part of the movie because the villain removes his turban and reveals a second face in the back of his head, but because this movie was made in the early 2000's, the special effects are not all that frightening. Some kids might even find this a bit comedic. Harry displays bravery throughout the scene. Their encounter lasts for about five minutes, and I would say that it doesn't get violent until the last minute. The villain tries to choke Harry for a brief moment (barely shown on camera), but Harry quickly fights back and is able to turn the villain to ash, which again, doesn't look all that graphic considering the older special effects. Harry faints when a ghostly figure flies through him at the end of the scene, but then he is shown safe and awake moments later in the hospital wing. Leading up to the ending, there are a few other scenes that some might call intense, but none of them are necessarily violent or frightening. There is a scene in a dark forest that is a bit eerie when a cloaked figure walks towards Harry after bending over a dead animal (not seen on camera) but he is scared off quickly. This scene is short. The kids also play a sports game on broomsticks called Quidditch. They have a few near misses and spills, but kids will mostly find this exciting. Harry, Ron, and Hermione encounter a troll, but again, not violent, and meant to be exciting. The troll does not look grotesque, but kind of funny. Some scenes have suspenseful music and darker lighting to create a feeling of "what's going to happen?" such as when Harry sneaks into the library, or when the three friends encounter a giant dog, but usually the music is more eerie than what actually occurs. The director and actors did a wonderful job including all of the intense scenes from the book but taming them down and only showing minimal blood and gore. There is no real profanity here. Kids argue and call each other a few names, but mostly, the friends encourage one another and are good role models. Ron uses the term, "Bloody Hell!" a few times when he is surprised. There is a pub shown in the film with a few adult wizards who responsibly drink. A few of them smoke, but this is so brief that some kids won't even notice. A man mentions going to a pub with some shady characters but does not share details. This will go right over a kid's head. I disagree with Common Sense Media when they say that this movie has no educational value. The messages in this movie as well as the other Harry Potter movies are relevant and inspirational. In The Sorcerer's Stone, kids can learn the value of teamwork and friendship. It also teaches kids to stand up for what is right, not only against bullies, but against friends as well. There are many good role models, children and adults, most of whom use good judgement and intuition to overcome obstacles, even if it means breaking a rule or two. The kids in this movie are excellent main characters, because all of them are under-dogs. None of them start off brave, but grow stronger over time. I would highly recommend the entire Harry Potter series to families because the movies (and books!) can be enjoyed by kids and adults. Both will appreciate the series in a different way. The Harry Potter movies so get darker and more violent as they progress, but the first few, especially Sorcerer's Stone, are good to start with!

Adult Written byJulia Flint November 13, 2019

Younger kids will like

It's a fun movie for Potterheads, especially younger kids
Parent of a 9-year-old Written byYokey October 4, 2019
Read the book first. The book has so much more detail and it builds up more suspense since it takes awhile to read. When you read the book you can use your imagination to imagine what is happening. It is so much more fun. Also reading books is healthier than watching movies. The movie is great, super funny and adventurous.