All parent member reviews for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byJamie and James March 15, 2010

Wait till' they're older. GREAT MOVIE!

You see, my kids don't watch a lot of movies, but sure enough, they loved the fantasy in this. Truth be told, I I probably love it more than them. Parents, kids won't really get into this movie until they're older than 7(probaby 9), but then you can't take them away from these movie-I know from experience.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byNiche March 7, 2010

Too loud and frantic in the tense moments for us

Our family does not like any of the Harry Potter movies. These movies are too frantic, tense, loud and packed full of so many busy special effects we all had a headache afterwards. Maybe we all enjoyed the books too much to like the movie versions.
Educator and Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written bysrediaz March 10, 2011

Read the book, it is better

The books are much better than the movies. I do not really like the movies all that well. They had to cut too much out. My husband, who has not read the books, has trouble following the plot of the movies.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byParatrooperWife October 19, 2009

Rare...parent with young kids who love this movie

I am one of the rare parents who allow my 4 and 6 year old kids to watch this and the first Harry Potter movies. The movies after these too are just WAY too intense for my kids and won't allow them to watch them until they are MUCH older. Socerer's Stone is one of the two I don't mind them watching. Yes, there are parts that parents should definitely talk to their kids about (death of Harry's parents, unicorn death, Voldemort's possession of Quirrel, Quirrel's death). Those parts and a few others our 4 year old still wants to have clarified when he watches. But he is obsessed with this movie! He and our daughter love the fantasy and magic of it all. I have made HUGE deal about all of it being pretend, just a story. My kids have embraced that and are able to enjoy movies like this without negative repercussions. I particularly like the fact that my 6 year old can see how strong and smart a girl Hermoine is compared to all the other characters. Again, I am the rare parent who knows what my children are able to deal with and understand. Parents...watch it first and decide for yourself!!!
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byMangoFlamingo December 6, 2009

Not bad, but read the BOOK first!

I liked the movie ok (and my 5 and 7 year old loved it) however the book is just SOOOOOO much better. I'd recommend reading the book first and THEN watching the movie
Parent of a 6 year old Written byLB2010 May 7, 2010

Not too bad for younger viewers

I let my kindergartner watch this one HP movie -- the only one she gets to watch -- and only with me present, and I skip parts. I skip the part when Hagrid tells Harry about his parents' death. Oops one time she saw the 1-second bit about his mom getting killed -- and that child fretted on 'what happened? what happened to his mom?' for the rest of the night. So we skip that part now, even though she already knows about it. We definitely skip the latter 1/4 of the movie, like the scary Forbidden Forest scene with Voldemort and the unicorn, & definitely the bit about Prof Quirrell unwrapping his head scarf and the scary face of Voldemort appearing on the back of his head. Mostly it's a cute kids' film - life with the Dursleys is about as Cinderella as it gets, and Harry spends a lot of time exploring and discovering with his friends. Starting with Chamber of Secrets and onwards, I'm waiting until she's old enough to read and understand the books first.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byuusarahmcg September 29, 2009

Great for getting my child to be interested in reading

I love that my daughter is crazy over Harry Potter and I give this movie all the credit for her reading level jumping from remedial to advanced last year. After seeing the movie, she was determined to read the book on her own and then started reading the second one. I love the messages of loyal friendship in this movie.
Adult Written bycourtsport April 29, 2011

perfect for all ages

this movie is perfect for all ages im 18 now but i grew up on these movies and books and i loved them and looking back now i believe that every kids should have the chance to see these exciting movies and should have the chance to fall in love with them just as millions already have.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byfastraxsg July 1, 2011

For younger fans!

Its great for younger harry potter lovers! the characters are so young and cute and its hardly scary... but for younger kids...its THE BEST!!! Not too much adventure but enough to satisfy 7,8 and 9 year olds!! made me a fan at once!
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written byrlm10706 February 1, 2011

We love HP!!!

We are HUGE Harry Potter fans in our house. My husband and I have read the books at least 5 times each and we have seen the movies countless times... literally, I could not count the amount of times that I've seen them. Both of our kids have been watching Harry Potter since they were able to watch movies. There can be some scary parts, but that's why we watch with them. I think as long as you watch with your kids they will be fine. That way you can talk about anything that's a little scary for them.
Adult Written byMusicgirl23 July 1, 2011

10 is a good age to start...

Perhaps I am somewhat old-fashioned as a 20-year-old, but having seen this movie when I was 11, I feel that a rating of 10+ is appropriate, just like I feel that is about the right age for starting to read the books (especially as they are all in print). The reason I feel this way is in part because, once they get started, it will be hard for them to stop, and I DEFINITELY would not recommend anything past book three for younger than 10! Plus, I feel that fantasy needs to be approached carefully, especially if your religion looks at things like witchcraft in a negative fashion. It can be hard for young children to realize that little of what happens on the big screen is possible in real life, and it's easier to wait until they are able to seperate them.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byMildon February 6, 2011

Parent of a 9 and 9 year old Written bykptown December 12, 2010

fine movie, a little scary

We should have waited to see this movie for at least another year, until they were 9. It was just too much for my sensitive 8 year old AND my NON-sensitive 8 year old. Its a fine movie, but they were both disturbed by the peril and icky moments.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bymomonick February 25, 2010

Awesome!

A great first episode for a great series. My only concern is a little violence. I am 9 years old (mom is with me).
Parent of a 8 year old Written byLadyD82 December 26, 2009

Good but not for all kids this age.

My son won't watch Harry Potter mostly because it is not animated. The movie certainly doesn't appeal to MY 8 year old though I have seen some to which it does appeal. My only concern, having seen them all at least once, is the slight amount of violence in each title. This is one of those titles that depends on the child.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

A Magical Ride for the Family!

I read almost all of the HARRY POTTER books before I saw the movies. I was on #4 out of 7 before I saw THE SORCERER'S STONE, but I loved it. What we have in HARRY POTTER is a strange concoction. Magic, wizardry, and exotic creatures are mixed with normal circumstances that are reminisent of a normal junior high school. Though, strange this potion works wonderfully. No language, sex or drugs. Violence is iffy for anyone under 10 or 11 if they're easily scared. Characters are loyal friends who end up risking their lives for one another. Great family film. Highly recommended.
Adult Written bydshush January 29, 2010

love it. best to watch the scary scenes on mute the first time for the younger crowd. and i think that there are some scary parts in the movie, especially in the second half, says n. and snape is very snape-ish, says m. we really imagined snape like this.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bywhitt105 October 15, 2011

Intense and too violent for under 9/10 yrs.

Some scary moments- the 3 headed dog and ghost attack scene are the worst. As always, the books are better, but a great movie just the same. My almost 10 yr old loved it but stated she thought it may be too scary for younger kids.
Parent of a 3, 5, and 7 year old Written byMamaLlama3 October 13, 2011

Great movie but more appropriate for older kids

I really enjoyed this movie. The books are much better, but the movies are still very fun. However, I don't think it's appropriate for my 7 (almost 8) year old. He has really enjoyed the books, but a book is usually only as scary as you make it with your own imagination....it's different when you see everything come to life on the big screen. The scene with Voldemort and the unicorn in the forest, Voldemort's face on the back of Prof. Quirrells' head, etc. Those are things that I think are still a little much for my son. I think I'll wait until he's a little older before I let him see this one.
Adult Written byHarryPotter April 9, 2008

LOVED IT!!!

I LOVE THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS AND MOCIES AND GAMES SO MUCH! I know that I'm an adult but I still find this series so interesting. Very well done.