Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Heathers

After Columbine, this dark comedy isn't as funny.

Adult Written bylunag126 April 28, 2013

Kids are smarter than they seem.

This movie is a great dark comedy and a classic I think most people should get around to watching. And, quite frankly, okay for kids 10+ provided you ask the question "how mature is my kid?" I'm not going to go onto a full on rant about how kids are too coddled in modern society. All I'm saying is I have particularly fond memories of watching this movie with my mom at 12. Answer this questionaire I created to see if this movie is okay for your child. Does your child freak out every time someone curses? Does you child freak out every time someone mentions sex? Is your child uncomfortable with violence? If you answered yes to any of these questions, don't show your child this film. If your child is under 10 chances are they don't know much about sex, so I would avoid this move to avoid triggering a lengthy conversation about sex.

Adult Written byLedZeppelin April 9, 2008

A great dark comedy

It is true that now a days this movie might be viewed as being tasteless because of the cavalier way that such serious topics are discussed. But you need to just immerse yourself in the world of the movie and just enjoy it for what it is, a dark comedy. It isn't meant to be bunnies and sunshine. It is meant to creep you out a little bit, but make you laugh as well. So enjoy Heathers for what it is.
Adult Written bydan s. October 6, 2017

its good

i think it a fine movie for 10 year old it is a little violent bu a little dark humor never hurt any one
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 January 4, 2015

Pitch black, razor sharp and ridiculously hilarious

My thing with dark comedies is if you're going to go black, don't go back. It was a huge turnoff seeing "God Bless America," which had a lot of promise, turn annoying and weak. On the other end of the spectrum, one of my now favorite films of all time, "In Bruges," completely took you there, mixing laughs with murder and exceptional themes. "Heathers" is certainly on the "Bruges" side of things. It's "Mean Girls" written by Quentin Tarantino. I know she's had her problems but I positively fell in love with Winona Ryder as Veronica, the wide-eyed, vastly beyond her years high schooler caught in the middle of teenage angst, except she has psychopath J.D. edging her to do some, uh, highly illegal things. The movie is satire extraordinare, married with some of the funnest teenage writing since the aforementioned Lohan classic. Honestly I laughed a little every time Christian Slater opened his mouth: his devilish J.D. wants to be a prophet, but you can't help but laugh at his voice, which sounds like a 99 cent Jack Nicholson impression. The film mixes deadly serious themes like suicide (tons of it) and fitting in, but it does it all with a smirk and witty phrase. Maybe reserve this for older teens who can distinguish that it is a satire, and yes CSM, Columbine was at the forefront of my mind, especially Slater's character. But this was made long before that tragedy, and the best way to take "Heathers" is simply with the goal of having a great laugh. One of the sharpest comedies I've ever seen.

Adult Written byE.lin June 14, 2018

Great for mature kids, who have a grasp on the real world

Amazing movie. I however disagree with the “no positive messages” part. There are two I can think of right off the bat. 1. Veronica stops her psycho ex, JD, from blowing up the school when she could’ve just watched him kill the student body. 2. Veronica stops her friend Heather Mcnamara from committing suicide even when Heather wasn’t very nice to her. But other than that, the movie can be very triggering, and includes lots of violence, drugs, alcohol, kissing, and assault (both physical and sexual). (as an added good message, veronica befriends a social outcast, martha at the end of the movie. martha attempted to commit suicide due to being bullied by her peers. veronica also shows that trying to fit in with the popular crowd isn’t always a good idea, saying that her childhood friend, Betty Finn, was a true friend. Unlike the Heathers)

Parent Written byJWino7143 July 13, 2015

Funny Teen Dark Comedy

Funny movie for teens. Know your kid and make sure they are mature enough.

Adult Written byClare H. November 4, 2012

Good message, really dark content

I would say that this is not altogether a negative film. It is a dark comedy, and I'm definitely not into really dark comedies. But it's possible to see the societal caricatures and take them as caricatures. Simply put, it is like Mean Girls, but darker. There's certainly a good underlying message, but there is language, violence, sex and language to sift through to get there. Use your discretion about how much depression, anxiety, and murder your kids could handle in a film before viewing it with them. It was too dark for me to watch all at once, but I was happy with Veronica's redemption of herself at the end.

Adult Written byKadence G. March 21, 2018
Heathers is exactly what it says a DARK comedy. If you child can handle swearing the subject of suicide, murder, sex, etc...then you child\teen can watch it. In my opinion heathers has a nice dark twist to high school life.

Adult Written bytheslimmovieguy November 29, 2017

Thoughts after watching heathers.

This was an interesting film and all. But It's not really for a younger audience. It has a load of language, Not to mention sexual stuff and acts of violence. On that note, I'd say 15+ would be okay for this film..

Adult Written byJulia from Sweden July 22, 2012

I liked it, but kids under 15 might not get that this is not the way teens behave

Parent of a 12, 12, and 14 year old Written bykleathers1 June 30, 2018

My favorite movie of all time. School shootings have destroyed it. (no pun intended)

I'm 48 years old. This has been my #1 favorite movie of all time ever since I saw it multiple times in the theatre as a teenager. I even love the Off Broadway version of it! The dark humor is beyond compare. And then Columbine happened. And then the ongoing school shootings happened. You couldn't make this movie today, which sucks. HOWEVER, if you know how to talk to your kids before showing it to them: DO IT. Kids are as smart about these things as their parents allow them to be. Talk to your kids. Watch it with them. It's fantastic, but modern day has done a number on it. Argh. For so many reasons beyond this movie.

Adult Written byKaitlyn C. March 6, 2018

Fantastic

This movie, at least to me, a 15 year old, is family friendly when your child is mentally mature enough to separate fantasy from reality and can handle slight romance scenes. Being honest, JD and Veronica never really have sex but it is obviously applied. They are naked under a blanket kissing and talking, but there is a lot of making out. Also, Veronica can be seen in a modest bra from a distance, not exposing anything. But, this is a great movie and I think everyone should see it at least once in their teen years. It has a deep meaning when it comes to sucide and shows how peers and teachers can exploit victims of sucide in cruel ways. Lastly, I do think a child should have a firm grasp at fantasy and reality. I, and many others, love JD and think he is extremely lovable and misunderstood. Your child and or you need to understand that his actions were far to extreme and was just part of the black humor. Overall, as long as you or your child are not overly sensitive and toddler-like, you should be fine!Btw: Veronica does make a smart choice at the end and I say she is a twisted role model for giving JD up and going through with it, I know it would have been hard for me at least!

Adult Written bycomputer_poppy August 6, 2018

Depends on The Child.

Heathers includes some violence, dark humor, and some sexual themes. If your child or you is uncomfortable with any of these then I suggest you don't watch it with your child.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byChey1214 October 14, 2018

It's a good movie!

I'm 12 in 2 months and I've watched this on my own 4 times in the last week, and my mom watched it when she was 12/13. We also started watching it together. Sure there is a lot of swearing, violence, and sex related things, but I think because it doesn't show anything, it's okay for some kids, as long as they can tell the difference between right and wrong. I am really mature for my age, (my 19 yr old friend said I'm more mature than most of her friends) and as long as you tell your kid that a lot of this stuff is bad to do, it should be fine for them to watch.
Adult Written byGrey B. December 27, 2018

Mature

I watched this movie when I was 11 years old, and I was fine. It could be different with other kids though, just make sure they're mature enough to handle some swearing, sex, smoking, many violent themes like suicide and murder. As dramatic as I'm making the review sound, it really wasn't that bad at all.

Adult Written byYeetYeet_Peggles February 16, 2019

Beautiful!! (see the reference?)

well, I'm currently ten and this movie, aside from Mean Girls, is my favorite movie. I've always had a liking for dark humor. If you ask me, you should only show this to kids who are mature enough to handle violence, suicide, sex, etc.. Heathers is a classic to be enjoyed by teens for many years to come. I totally recommend it!!