All teen and kid member reviews for Heaven Is for Real

Kid, 12 years old April 20, 2014

Scary.......

I was in the movie theater plugging my ears as Colton's father collapsed due to kidney stones and when he fractured his foot in a softball game AND when Colton and Cassie where in the bathroom throwing up.I also plugged them when Todd was passing thses kidney stones. Even though I'm 12 years old, I don't think I was ready to see this movie....... I also learned that I am very sensitive to violent scenes.
Teen, 15 years old Written byManOfMidNights April 25, 2014

Not a bad movie.

I'm one of those people who gets dragged into movie theaters for not only every movie, but especially every god movie. My parents call me an atheist if I don't go to these movies, despite the fact that I'm pretty close to agnostic. I can honestly say that out of the 4 god movies that I have seen recently, I could safely say that it is one of the top two. The story is quite depressing at times, and the themes are not really for kids. I guess taking a kid to a movie like this is understandable, if only for the morals, but don't be surprised if your kid gets upset or maybe even disturbed at some of the adult themes in it (death, injury, mourning, and doubt). Speaking of morals, the morals are great. Everybody's belief on their religion is slightly different but basically the same, but the movie shows that when a person has experienced something that's description attempts to alter the current system of popular belief, despite how happy and simple the new concept suggests it to be, it causes a lot of confusion and doubt about what is real and what's not based on past and present. If you want to take your kids to the movie to see that, go ahead, but heed my warning that it might disturb some younger viewers. Also, I'm actually not going to select any of the "Too Much Violence" or "Too Much Sex" icons to represent my review's overall point, as it really does;t have that stuff. It's just pretty sad and has some plot points that you may think your child shouldn't really be exposed to yet.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhiphoph May 9, 2014

Heaven is for Real

Heaven is for Real had some more mature topics, even as it was advertised to be a family movie. The child's father fractures his leg (you can hear a snapping sound), and later screams in pain while passing kidney stones. That father is both a pastor and a firefighter. We see him bursting into a burning building, along with seeing him praying for a dying man. A woman mourns over the death of her son (which occurred before the time frame of the film). The main couple had a miscarriage in the past. A young boy almost does during surgery, and a young girl punches two kids. As for sexual scenes, a married couple kiss and the woman whispers something suggestive to her husband. This film was very good. The little boy was adorable and did a great job acting for one so young. The film shows how everyone can struggle with faith. Even people on the church board, and the pastor himself doubts that the boy went to heaven, even as they preach about it. It has a powerful message.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJodieChupp July 2, 2014
Its definitely one of the good movies too see. I went with a few of my friends for my birthday and we all cried because it was just that good.
Teen, 13 years old Written byzebra_16 July 27, 2014

Just as good as the book, but contains some mature topics and sad scenes.

This was an amazing movie, but it had some scary/sad scenes. These include the loud snap of the father breaking his leg, the father passing kidney stones, the father running into a burning building, the father praying with a dying man, Coten and Cassie vomiting, and Coten in the operating room. It also had some scenes that may be confusing for little ones; for example there are a few scenes where the parents are talking about bill issues. However if your are 11 and older (and you are not scared easily) you must go see this movie.
Kid, 9 years old August 14, 2014

Pensive, but heartwarming.

Colton, being a real child, is astonishing, and he deserved a film like this. Being completely honest, nothing technically inappropriate is in the film. I personally believe it is still for a slightly older crowd only because younger people may not understand the message of particular belief brought through in the movie, and that living on the operating table can be called a miracle. Now, let me ask you this, can you start believing in miracles by seeing something like this happen? I have no idea! It's all up to you, so either see the film or read the book, and then ask that question, and I guarantee you will be surprised by the answer.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTARDIS Tourist December 28, 2015

This religous movie is great.

A kid has a close-to-death experience and survives and experiences Heaven briefly.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy Brew August 8, 2015
Teen, 15 years old Written byCHB_FF5fan June 14, 2015

heaven is for real

its very up lifting but depressing in areas and a little gory but very little its a good movie but any one under 10 should not see this movie unless they are prepared for a little heartbreak
Kid, 12 years old January 24, 2015

Heaven is For Real

I loved this movie. I'm a strong Christian and it teached me things I believe Christians should know. It's cute. It's clean. No language. No reason to say no. It's for 9 year olds, because of the maturity of the film. There are adult sequences like in Heaven Colton finding out he had a second sister. Love Ya Jesus!
Kid, 8 years old May 14, 2015

Extremely disturbing/sad drama is all about life, and death.

My rating PG-13 for: some violence, extreme disturbing images, and some language.
Teen, 15 years old Written byPAYSTCHR April 17, 2016

An amazing beautiful movie, may be a little sad for younger kids.

First of all, I am LDS, and I found that this film is very beautiful. The true story is about a preacher, who's son, during a dangerous surgery, explains that he saw heaven. When the preacher tries to understand that the boy means literal the rest of the town comes to terms with their own faith. The acting was beautiful, simple, and an amazing well done film. Every time I watch it, I cry. Unfortunately the world now says that these movies are bad, because they are preachy, this film doesn't need to be criticized. It is a faith-affirming film. It does make you cry, and it is a little intense, mostly emotionally.
Kid, 12 years old October 16, 2015

Best movie ever!

One of the best movies I have ever seen! I love iy
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T January 30, 2015

Really good movie.

This movie centers on a kid who died, was resurrected, and told his parents what he'd seen in the spirit world. The experience was very heartwarming for me and probably for your children as well. I'd say it's on for kindergarteners and iffy for toddlers. P.S. The kid dies of sickness, he isn't killed off.