Parent reviews for Heavyweights

Heavyweights Poster Image

I came here specifically to give this review. This is a movie I grew up on and I’m shocked to see your review about “acceptance.” Kids love this movie, it’s a great movie. Watch it, you won’t be disappointed.

Too much fun

While it doesn’t have a plethora of positive messages or great role models, was the PERFECT choice for a family movie night with our 9 and 11 year old. We laughed til our bellies hurt. Ben Stiller was at his best in this fantastic 90’s comedy. There is a bit of crude humor but nothing extraordinarily inappropriate to note. I remember loving this movie as a kid, but I think it’s even better as an adult!

Loved it as a kid and my kids did to

I loved this movie as a kid and showed it to my 8 and 9 year olds. They enjoyed it. I chose 9 because my 8 year old is able to understand and enjoy movies directed for a little order than her. I am not a fan of the multiple male genitalia jokes but overall it was a good movie for the kids to watch.

Great fun!!

Heavyweights is such a great little movie! First saw it when I was around 10 and loved it. I recently purchased the DVD a couple of years ago just for kicks, it brings back so many memories! The film is excellent fun for kids and even some adults will enjoy it! It will not offend anyone who is overweight. It takes off with a nice kid named Gerry when his parents sit him down after school and present him with a "fat camp" video tape where overweight boys get to spend the summer having fun at a camp and losing weight. At first he's hesitant, but later realizes how cool it really is. He meets lots of friends and things seem awesome until the new owner of the program, Tony (Ben Stiller) disciplines the boys so harshly that they end up rebelling, and having no fun! The boys must then figure out how they can get rid of Tony for good and save Camp Hope. There is some minor violence but in a humorous way, language isn't too bad ([email protected] and @ss are mentioned throughout), some flirting between adults who share a sincere kiss, one brief make out session with a boy & girl at a dance. LOTS of food thrown around. The film will be sure to keep you laughing, it's energetic and upbeat! Amazing acting. Great for 9 and up!

Welcome to Summer

One of my favorites as a kid...plan on showing it to my students as a "welcome to summer" movie.