Kid reviews for Hellboy

Extreme gore, language in comic book movie reboot.

Teen, 13 years old Written byT0611047e April 11, 2019
This movie has a good plot despite all the strong graphic violence and language

Teen, 15 years old Written byAvizo April 13, 2019

Fun and enjoyable movie!

I have been a massive fan of Hellboy and the Mignolaverse since i was a little kid growing up watching Del Toro's movies and then later going on to read the comics. So obviously as a fan i wanted to see more of the beloved character on the big screen but was surprised to hear that Hellboy would be returning but in a reboot and wouldn't be connected to the previous two movies, when we got more information like Hellboy would be played by David Harbour which is an actor i really enjoy to watch and is great in Stranger Things i was warming up to it and also that it would lean towards a more gritty comic like approach it made me excited. Skipping ahead to when it was releasing i had seen the first trailer (didn't like the tone) and the more recent trailers (liked the new trailers which showed the movie off better) i was hyped but the problem arose when i saw the review embargo didn't lift till basically release day and then when the reviews did drop it got destroyed with negative reviews and hate (mostly being that it isn't Del Toro's Hellboy) i put my expectations in check and went into the movie and enjoyed the hell (no pun intended) out of it, thought the action was awesome, the characters to be solid for the most part and the biggest part is Hellboy which was played perfectly by David Harbour. The plot wasn't the greatest and the score/ song choices were iffy but it was a fun and enjoyable fresh start to Hellboy. I'm really hoping they release a sequel but with all the negative opinions on the movie i see that being unlikely.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySuperMarioTrent April 14, 2019

Too much gore

I didn’t know hellboy can be that violent of a movie

Teen, 17 years old Written byChrysopelea April 14, 2019

Don't compare it to Guillermo Del Torro

There was only really one thing that bugged me about this film; the critic reviews! Don't listen to all of the critics! I had a lot of fun during this film, and right off the bat, you know that this is going to be a very different version of Hellboy. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Guillermo Del Torro movies, but they just weren't the Hellboy that I had read about in the comics. The tone and characterization in Del Torro's films were nothing like in the comics. They were good, but just not what I was looking for. I was in for a pleasant surprise for this film. By the end of the very first scene portraying David Harbor's Hellboy, I felt so relieved. It was such a fresh wonderful take on the character and felt so much more like the character I had read about in the comics. Yes, he had a bit of a deadpanned dry humor, which I really liked, but the core of the character was a lot more pure than the previous Ron Pearlman adaption. I loved Ron Pearlman as Hellboy, but he was a lot more arrogant and rude than how the character was in the comics. I was relieved and overjoyed to finally see David Harbor do complete justice to the character in the comics. The same goes for Ben Daimino. He was still his charming, roughly arrogant character from the comics, and I couldn't help but love to finally see Daimino on the big screen alongside Hellboy. Everything Daimino did in the movie, I could see him doing it in the comics too. They didn't try to tone down Ben Daimino's rough personality that he had in the books, while still managing to give him a noticeable character arc. Alice was a very interesting twist on the character I had loved in the comics. Normally I would be distasteful to any changes in the characters, but I really loved this new take on her. She was strong and pivotal to the backstory of one of the villains. I fell in love with the actress quickly and would love to see her in future films. Now, I think it should be understood to younger viewers that this movie is extremely violent and covers very dark concepts. There is gore in almost every scene, and graphic depictions of decapitations, stabbing, dismembering, and certain types of violence I don't even know how to put a word to. Dead children are even depicted in a specific scene, clearly being preyed on by the witch, Baba Yaga. They are seen in the background hanging off of meat hooks. There are plenty of scary elements that many younger viewers should be cautioned about. As parents, you should know your children well enough to determine whether they are ready to see this sort of violent film. I believe that even if your child is not affected by violence, they should have the maturity to understand the severity of the actions. Many innocent people are killed, and the villainess craves empathy. These sort of violent scenes and mature topics made me feel sick to my stomach especially in the Baba Yaga scene, and I think that is what the filmmakers might have been aiming for. Truly gruesome things are portrayed in this movie, and certain things should be understood with a mature mindset. Discuss with your kids about what the story might have been telling you about evil. Each villain was evil in their own way. If you are a Christian, it is good to contemplate this. While watching the Baba Yaga scene, I was in awe by how utterly gruesome and evil the character was. My mind wandered to the unimaginable evil of the Devil himself and thought if this witch is this terrifying, morbid, and indescribably grotesque, how much worse can the Devil be? Things like this can be contemplated from the film. As a sort of philosophical person, I actually think that the terrible violence in the film benefitted from this concept. It was the embodiment of utter corruption and horror, though barely scratches the surface of the severity of these actions. I think this was a really good film and personally got a lot from it. I would definitely recommend it to most teens and up.

Teen, 16 years old Written byNathan750 April 18, 2019

Lame and Unexpected graphic violence

The film's violence is too much and its like the same intense violent stuff in Jigsaw and Overlord.

Kid, 12 years old April 22, 2019

Hellboy

It’s a good movie. Not recommended for little kids though. Maybe responsible young adults thirteen and above.

Teen, 15 years old Written byCameronAnderson April 20, 2019
This movie isn’t as good as the original but still worth your time. The biggest thing to be worried about is the violence. This movie is an absolute gore fest, the violence is absurd and over the top. Extremely bloody with shooting, dismemberment, Limbs flying, and decapitations. Also a fair amount of F-Words, probably at least 20. A couple shots of woman with a fair amount of cleavage. 17 and up, if you’re not worried about violence probably 15-16 and up.