All parent member reviews for Hidalgo

Adult Written bySteve890 April 9, 2008

5 Stars

Excellent movie for young and old.
Adult Written bysbdreamin April 9, 2008

If you like horses, you will like Hidalgo!

Hidalgo is about a guy and his horse who are invited to the hardest cross-country race in the world. It is based on a real man and his real horse, but then the story gets a little far-fetched. I guess Hollywood doesn't think we are interested in real-life stories unless there is fighting, a damsel in distress, and intrigue. In adding all that, they didn't really help to keep this from being a bit of a sleep-inducer. Unless your kids are absolutely NUTS about horses, I doubt it will hold their interest. The cinematography is pretty good, and Hidalgo, the painted pony is really an American icon. I heard that Viggo Mortenson and the horse got along so well that he kept the horse after the movie...not sure if that is true or not.
Parent Written byMrsVance11 June 4, 2012

Really? This movie scored a 3 for sexuality? Not even.

I'm AMAZED this movie was rated a 3 for sexuality. Are you serious? I don't even think there's any kissing in this movie! There's a very veiled and mild reference to her offering sex, and another reference for castration, but if your kid isn't old enough to knot what they're talking about, it'll go right over their heads. There's violence, but it's just shoot em up sequences. There is a scene where someone's beheaded, but it lasts for 2 seconds and if you're paranoid about it, simply view it first. I think the images of the slaughtered natives serve as an educational element to this movie. This is one of my favorite films.
Parent of an infant and 7 year old Written byMommaZ August 29, 2010

Enjoyable "western" in the East

I am surprised by some of the negative reviews! This is a GREAT old-fashioned "western" - the hero doesn't even kiss the girl. OK - some violence, but not as graphic as stuff they see on TV. The wounded knee imagery (bodies on the ground AFTER the massacre) are disturbing - but food for discussion. The castration reference went over the head of my 7 year old. I am careful with what he watches, and though he was scared/nervous at spots, we all enjoyed it. We did, however, watch it on television, so I don't know what was edited out.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byLoveLand July 29, 2010

Great movie for families with older kids

We love this movie! There is truthful violence (though not excessive or gratuitous) so it isn't for young ones or sensitive girls.
Adult Written bysgt_warne April 9, 2008

A good movie for the whole family to see.

It was a nice clean movie. It had good values and morality. There was NO SEX. The main character turned it down because it was immoral. There was violence yes, but it was not glorified.
Adult Written byhorsecraze14 April 9, 2008

Good Movie

This movie was good! There were 2 castration referances but they were harmless and funny! (watch the movie you will know what I mean) There was no sex in this movie because he turned it down thinking it immoral. This movie was very good and it was hardly PG-13 and should have been PG! I have seen tons worse PG movies that should have been PG-13 but this should have been PG -- wow aren't movie ratings getting all mixed up these days!
Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008

Adult Written bycyber_mom4 April 9, 2008

Good old fashioned adventure movie

Little cussing, no sex, hero actually acts heroic. Slightly hokie, but I really enjoyed it anyway.