Kid reviews for Hilda and the Mountain King

Hilda and the Mountain King Poster Image

A Fun Adventure and Continuation of the Hilda Series

Hilda and the mountain king is, in a way, the third season of Hilda, a popular TV show for kids. Throughout the TV show, one of the main aspects of the story is the threat of Trolls, monsters who turn to stone during the day. Their weakness is bells. The problem of the trolls is solved in this movie, which may or may not (sadly) mean the end of this beautiful series. I've rated this 7+ because there isn't anything too scary, but the storyline can be hard for kids to follow because it splits between three worlds, one of which is where the trolls live, another the real world, and yet another, a world within the eye of the mountain king which gives Hilda a vision. There were no "inappropriate" parts of this movie as far as my family and I could tell, but Hilda is changed into a troll for most of the movie, and a troll is changed into a baby human, which can be a bit disturbing to some people. There is also the fact that Hilda does not have any clothes when she is a troll, which is not a problem in this movie because the troll does not resemble her very much (except for the blue hair) and there is nothing "shown." It may be hard to get used to for the first few minutes of the film because it takes a moment to get used to not seeing Hilda as we know and love her, but there is nothing inappropriate, weird, or unsettling about it. Overall, I would recommend Hilda and the mountain king as a great movie to watch on the couch with your family and a nice big bowl of popcorn (or, as my brother likes to have as a snack, goldfish). Get your yellow scarf and your deerfox plush, and get ready for another amazing addition to the Hilda series.

2 people found this helpful.
Charming, intelligent, and thought-provoking children's entertainment. There's a lot of philosophical questions just under the surface of this apparently simple little film. If you like the books, and the series, you'll like this, and if you're new to Luke Pearson's stories, it will probably win you over. Another reviewer noted a melancholy air behind the movie - for what it's worth I interpreted the plight of the trolls, pushed further and further away from their mother by the encroachment of an ever expanding human population

Amazing Movie, Couldn’t Have Written it Better

Couldn’t have hoped for a better Hilda movie, honestly. It’s built up so well throughout the series, what with the constant menace of the trolls and Ahlberg’s awful Safety Patrol. This movie even has a twist that older kids might predict but would be jarring for younger children. The premise is that Hilda has turned into a troll, while the troll baby « Baba » has taken her place at home. Hilda will do everything she can to be a human again. Hilda and her mother really have a touching moment and I think they would be great role models, and their determination is truly inspiring. The ending of this movie was extremely satisfying if you ask me, and it’s a great resolution. For the reviewer below, who I happen to know personally, there will be, in fact, a third and final season of Hilda. Enjoy the movie!!