All parent member reviews for Hogfather

Parent of a 5 year old Written byMuffinsMummy March 21, 2012

Stunning film, but not for younger kids.

This is a fantastic film in every sense of the word - it is long, but as a very faithful adaptation of a Discworld novel, it needs to be. Parents should know that this is NOT intended as a kids' movie. Mr Teatime is extremely creepy. People are murdered, and whilst the character of Death is played for laughs (to an adult audience), children may find the image of Death-dressed-as-Santa rather disturbing. That said, teenagers old enough to deal with the violence and the sophisticated themes are likely to enjoy the irreverence and off-centre nature of Pratchett's humour. There are also definite moral positives. The central theme is the importance of belief, which is relevant not only to children and/or the religious (in fact it is not presented in a religious way at all). Also, I can't believe noone has mentioned what an amazing character Susan is! Not only is she an incredibly strong, responsible, intelligent and no-nonsense female character, but she actively teaches these same values to the children she babysits. I love this movie, and highly recommend it - but my daughter won't be seeing it for a long while yet.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byFierce July 18, 2011

Too Dark for 10

This is a really dark and scary film. We have read the authors YA series and adore his Tiffany Achen character. But the filming of this story is too dark.
Adult Written byGunnar Wolf December 17, 2010
One of my favorite movies - One that surely made me buy the book. With Pratchett's wit and humor, you just cannot go wrong. Some details might not be fine for the most conservative audiences - but I would not have the slightest objection for kids watching it and learning from it.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bygran_to April 16, 2011
I am amazed that anyone thinks this is a child's movie. The language is dense and some of the humor is sophisticated. There is violence - stabbing, attempted strangling and more. The villain is very scary with his controlled voice and anger. There are ghosts etc. However someone in their mid-teens and older would like it. Perhaps a little younger if the person was a Pratchett reader (say 13 or 14)