All parent member reviews for Hogfather

Parent of a 5 year old Written byMuffinsMummy March 21, 2012

Stunning film, but not for younger kids.

This is a fantastic film in every sense of the word - it is long, but as a very faithful adaptation of a Discworld novel, it needs to be. Parents should know that this is NOT intended as a kids' movie. Mr Teatime is extremely creepy. People are murdered, and whilst the character of Death is played for laughs (to an adult audience), children may find the image of Death-dressed-as-Santa rather disturbing. That said, teenagers old enough to deal with the violence and the sophisticated themes are likely to enjoy the irreverence and off-centre nature of Pratchett's humour. There are also definite moral positives. The central theme is the importance of belief, which is relevant not only to children and/or the religious (in fact it is not presented in a religious way at all). Also, I can't believe noone has mentioned what an amazing character Susan is! Not only is she an incredibly strong, responsible, intelligent and no-nonsense female character, but she actively teaches these same values to the children she babysits. I love this movie, and highly recommend it - but my daughter won't be seeing it for a long while yet.
Adult Written byGunnar Wolf December 17, 2010

One of my favorite movies - One that surely made me buy the book. With Pratchett's wit and humor, you just cannot go wrong. Some details might not be fine for the most conservative audiences - but I would not have the slightest objection for kids watching it and learning from it.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byFierce July 18, 2011

Too Dark for 10

This is a really dark and scary film. We have read the authors YA series and adore his Tiffany Achen character. But the filming of this story is too dark.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bygran_to April 16, 2011

I am amazed that anyone thinks this is a child's movie. The language is dense and some of the humor is sophisticated. There is violence - stabbing, attempted strangling and more. The villain is very scary with his controlled voice and anger. There are ghosts etc. However someone in their mid-teens and older would like it. Perhaps a little younger if the person was a Pratchett reader (say 13 or 14)