All parent member reviews for Home on the Range

Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 15, 2015

Adult Written bynduns February 5, 2010

It's okay

I can kinda see why this movie caused the end of hand-drawn animation for a good 5 years. No, I am not downrating this for the stupid and generic reasons the oversensitive parents and children who shouldn't be reviewing movies in the first place are. The thing is... the story was a little too generic for its time. The characters weren't really that charming and it felt rushed at the start. And you can just see the lack of effort that went into the animations for this. The truth is, they wanted to get this over with quickly, so they rushed the animations. The humor also felt kind of bland. It was funny, but it also felt a tad forced, especially the moments involving the Willies. All of this combined with a non-threatening villain (Which, btw, is NOT something to praise a movie for, parents!!!) loses the film 2 points. Now for the good: Although laughably bad for a 2004 theatrical release, the animations aren't horrid. Plus some characters are actually pretty interesting and likable. The only problem is that these characters are kind of downplayed and don't take up much of the movie. I would have LOVED to see more of the goat and the "bounty hunter", but since that bounty hunter barely had any screentime, it didn't come across as special when his dark secret was revealed. Another strong point is the music. Let's face it, the best Disney songs of all time are those that came from the rhythm composed by Alan Menken and while the songs in this are kinda short, Alan's musical stylings still manages to get me tapping my feet. All in all, Home on the Range is just okay. It's one of the weaker Disney films, yes, but it's good.
Educator and Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written bylioness57 April 9, 2008

Great family movie that spans the sibling gap

We took our 10 year old daughter and 5 year old son to this movie and all of us loved it. Its incredibly well-written, funny, and the animation is a nice departure from the "Pixar-style try to look human" stuff we've come to expect from Toy Story et. al. The animation is painterly and simple. It also doesn't hurt to have k.d. Lang and Bonnie Raitt on the soundtrack (at least for us 40-something moms).
Adult Written bySotne April 9, 2008

A little too much violence

My parents bought this movie for our 4 year old daughter and we watched together on our weekly movie night. It is a cute story, but with a little too much violence, both physical and verbal. I was also dissappointed to see guns in a kids' movie. A lot of it went over my daughter's head but she laughed at the visually funny parts. And we used it as a good starting point for a conversation about hitting and guns. It's an average film, but there are better movies to watch with your kids.
Adult Written bymroots April 9, 2008

Very Cute

My kids (5 & 7) have watched this over and over, and they laugh each time.
Adult Written byErindira April 9, 2008

Rented it, and never gave it back

We rented this from Blockbuster, and ended up just buying it because we enjoyed it so much. My boys watched it over and over, and laughed every time. It is so nice to have a kid's movie with no death of the mom, or super-scary chase scenes, or other inappropriate material. I thought the whole thing was very delightful, funny, and the soundtrack is great.
Adult Written bynospam April 9, 2008

not for me

I was very disappointed at the language used. My son watched the movie and started saying shut up and stupid all the time so I decided he wouldnt be watching it. Its not a very good movie anyway. It was kinda lame. It really didnt move me. Also, I think there was too much violence, but it is rated PG....