All parent member reviews for Hook

Parent Written byMomandpsychologist September 28, 2010

Fun for kids who like Peter Pan, with some objections to think about

I watched this movie with my 8 year old son and 9 year old daughter; we all enjoyed it. Very nice special effects and visual appeal: snowy London, Neverland sunsets, etc. This would make the movie particularly enjoyable on a large-screen TV. The story stays faithful to the themes of the original Peter Pan, which means that if your children know and like that story they will particularly enjoy this one. No greater violence and scariness than in the original. Hook is menacing but doesn't do a lot of significant damage so any children who know the story but can't handle seeing characters really get hurt will be ok. I took minor objection to 5 things: 1. a pirate who has betrayed Hook is put in the "boo box" - a cramped barrel where small yucky creatures (spiders? snakes?) are fed through a window into the box with him in order to scare him. If you're sensitive, this feels like a nasty torture scene; however, it lasts for only a few seconds and the worst part is the part where the pirate is forced into the box. 2. at one point Tinkerbell turns herself human-sized, and she is wearing an off-the-shoulder gown; she kisses the adult Peter Pan romantically and somewhat breathlessly, and reveals that she loves him. He rejects her because he loves his wife and kids. The scene is brief and not too explicit, but if you feel as I do that romantic scenes have no place in children's movies, then it was an unnecessary disappointment. Really, shouldn't Tinkerbell stay a fairy? Why do romance and unrequited love have to be introduced into this story? 3. In one scene Hook slashes the adult Pan's arm with his hook; you don't see blood but you do see the slash; again, it's quick; 4. Hook stabs and kills one of the main Lost Boys - you don't see blood but the death is sad; 5. one of the lost boys is overweight and this is sort of exploited - he rolls up into a ball and knocks pirates over; 6. the movie continues upon and expands the themes of sad/painful loss from the original - the lost boys wish they had a mother, the dying lost boy reveals his wish that he had had a father, Tinkerbell will never see Pan again, etc. Overall, however, I recommend the movie as fun and visually appealing especially for kids who like the original.
Parent of a 3, 5, and 6 year old Written byplayafromdahimalaya January 2, 2011

Great movie, could have done without some of the language.

Loved it and my boys loved it. Could have done without some of the language, especially the long name calling session though :( Examples: "What the hell are you doing?" - father to son Fornication blubber butt "Get off your ass"
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Just Plain FUN

This is one for your video library -- a real keeper! Lots of fun without the worries of language and sex.
Adult Written byMarimbus April 9, 2008

Not Clumsy at all

I think this the makers of this movie did their research. You can tell by the way the story is presented. If you know the book, you'll enjoy the movie more. I've always thought this movie was a masterpiece, with a good moral about spending time with your kids.
Adult Written byGhcool April 9, 2008

Adult Written byRachel D April 9, 2008

Great fun for the family

Excellent job by Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman. This was the best kids movie in years. Such fun and fantastic fantasy!
Adult Written bycourtwork April 17, 2014

Love this movie

I had not seen this movie since it was originally released, and watched it with my almost 8 year old daughter the other day. To me, it's right up there with "The Princess Bride" for quality, originality, creativity and superb acting. Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, Maggie Smith, and Arthur Malet top my list from this all star cast. Julia Roberts is perhaps the weakest link, but she was in her hay day in 1991. I was so surprised when I discovered that this movie was made that long ago. It is truly timeless. The cell phones are ridiculously large and a big deal is made of traveling overseas, which is commonplace for execs now, but the "Cat's in the Cradle" theme along with the fantastic adventure of the lost boys is timeless. I was struck by the difference in my experience, seeing this movie before having kids the first time, and now as a parent. It pulled at my heart in so many more ways. My daughter was nervous in some parts - when Hook comes to take the children (I would not have wanted her to see this in the theater at 7), and also the boo box was freaky for her. The movie is long - over 2 hours, and she was fully engaged the whole time. Again, it made me yearn for more movies of this quality instead of the formulated fart joke films that the studios churn out today. The costumes, the creativity, the story line... this is truly a collective work of art vs. just a movie product. I can't wait to watch this one with the whole family, it is a perfect family movie night pick in my opinion. Perhaps my favorite thing about the movie is that it is truly for boys, and portrays boys as they truly are with no compromise to make sure girls feel included or empowered. How refreshing! There is some swearing and some violence, however, I HIGHLY recommend this movie for anyone 8 years old and up. More sensitive kids may need to be 9. Enjoy this great film!