All parent member reviews for Hoosiers

Parent of a 11 year old Written byFanner50 January 22, 2011
Good film about a person who sticks to what he believes under tremendous pressure from the towns people to do things differently. Kids play hard and fair, with a few transgressions. The coach has a temper and it gets him into trouble, but there is remorse and improvement. Very positive movie. Filming is well-done and beautiful. Might be a little slow for under 11 yr olds, but the games are exciting and tense.
Adult Written byjowoho April 9, 2008

A Classic Tale of the Underdog

The story of a coach with a troubled past and an unmotivated team who like to do things their way.
Adult Written byMovieluver101 August 6, 2011

Great but ehhhh for 10 and under

Okay... So I agree with all the other comments, that this is a four or five star movie. I agree. But when I watched this with my 9 year old son who is a BIG sport lover, I felt that some of the parts that just put a chill through your spine. Not the chill that you get in Black Swan but the chill for a kids movie. I thought the language was not necessary and I also felt that emotionally and just seeing it that my son was not ready to learn about the mans achool problems and why he was tipsy, and so on. No sex...just the teenage kisses on the cheek. I think that this is a great movie but maybe the points and morals are a little too strong for younger kids.
Parent of a 8 and 9 year old Written byAmericanist February 22, 2013

Nostalgic, classic underdogs-win sports story

I'm not a huge basketball fan, but my boys are. Both my mature 8-year-old and my (sometimes bullied) 10-year-old found it exciting to watch and inspirational. The setting in the early 50s gave us something to talk about on pauses: what was different back then, and what's the same. Yes, there's a little attention to an alcoholic supporting character who has some ups and downs in shaking his addiction (he does). He doesn't do violence to anyone, and his son still loves him. We paused the film and talked about it: fine. Yes, the outcome is a little predictable, but much more well done than your typical predictable sports film. Sometimes "predictable" to adults doesn't mean the same as it does to kids.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bywasekh November 18, 2013

The power of perservance

I remember this as a favorite from my youth (and I'm a girl.) As noted, alcoholism is depicted but it in no way glamorizes alcohol, but shows the very real effects of drinking and alcoholism. The movie is wonderful example of a good story depicted by great actors. The characters are flawed, yet persevere and this gives a realness we can all relate to.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 25, 2012

hoosiers

subplot. Another quibble is that it's sometimes hard to tell the healthy, corn-bred players apart. Families can talk about other sports movies. What is appealing about them? Do you ever doubt the outcome? What kind of feelings do they stir up? How does this one compare and contrast to other sports films you've seen?
Adult Written byCyclone411 January 16, 2009

Breathtaking

I'm not sure at what age this movie would be engaging for a kid. Perhaps earlier for a sports enthusiast kid. But this is an awesome movie that really captures a feeling and a sense of place and time. Having lived in southern Indiana, I can confirm the passion for basketball - it's a core of small town life. The game scenes are also beautifully shot and very exciting. And the redemption message is powerful.