Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Hope Floats

Redemptive drama ready made for family viewing.

Adult Written byClaire345 February 22, 2012

Terrible Parenting

I think this movie has a terrible message for parenting style. Birdee, the mother, is selfish, she does not support her daughter during this traumatic experience, and deals terribly with her depression by hurting her entire family. She does not appreciate all her mother has done for her and her daughter. Birdee is also completely unaware of what her daughter is going through at school and does not inquire as to why Bernice was upset afterwards.
Parent of a 1 year old Written bymjh February 15, 2009
Parent of a 14 and 17 year old Written bylightandlife March 13, 2017

A loved movie I've watched dozens of times

I've seen Hope Floats at least twenty times. It's my comfort movie that I watch when I am in the mood to be moved and cry. It's got beautiful moments in it with Sandra Bullock's character, Birdee, talking and then dancing with her dad who suffers from Alzheimer's. The scene when she loses her mother is also very moving, and the heart wrenching scene where Bernice finds out how little her dad really cares about her gives the movie true impact and emotion. There are lighthearted parts between Justin Matisse (Harry Connick, Jr's character) and Birdee (Sandra Bullock). I noticed there are not many good reviews on this. It's all personal choice in what people find moving or like to watch. This movie is a special one to me that is sweet and something to cozy up on the couch and watch when you're wanting something to feed your emotions.
Parent Written bySandra R. June 28, 2017

Awesome movie

I love this movie. I have seen it so many times. I love it. It's one of my all-time favorites. It's right up there with dirty dancing. Practical magic and overboard. I've probably seen it at least a hundred times and it still makes me cry.