Parent reviews for Hostiles

Lots of violence, some language in Western road movie.

Adult Written byNot Your Username December 18, 2018

Not as bad as made out to be

Yes. There are women who get assaulted, however none of this is shown and unless your child is sick they shouldn't make the connection until they are older. There are many scenes of medium violence, not much swearing either. Violence and swearing are appropriate to context; e.g. If your family was all killed by a person and you were bent on revenge, would you not want to get revenge? Same tone here. Most of the violence and themes are meant to show that it isn't black and white, there are no good guys or bad guys, and the cavalry aren't always the heroes. There is little to no sex or implied assault, little to no drinking or smoking, moderate violence and very good lessons about resilience, redemption, and the horrors of racism. Very eye opening it deserving of its 15+ rating.

Adult Written byHeather P. June 12, 2018

Good Movie but Terrible Language

The storyline is really good. It is about redemption and realizing you are not the good guy when you commit the same sins as the person you are judging. But the language was a huge negative of the film.

Adult Written byJoseph A. April 25, 2018

Emotional

Shows the struggles of people as they endure the violence they were taught or came to know. There is a realization finally that we are all just humans fighting for what we believe in and sometimes that is not always right. One of the first movies I have ever seen to show PTSD suffered by men in the timeline the movie took place in(1892). This movie is fueled by loss and the emotions of how everyone deals with it. I found this movie to be fantastic, a breath of fresh air compared to most of the over the top nonsense that is released anymore.

Parent Written byDonna W. March 3, 2018

A western with a good heart

At times this movie was slow , but like in a pop goes the weasel way there was a visual surprise after each slow moment.
This movie does have blood, and violence , and rape, and unsavory parts. All parts were done in a tasteful way. I was impressed that the rape wasn't visually awful , but more sugestive as in it happened but we didn't have to watch it.
The blood was well done and looked real. The violence was as to be expected with a western.
This movie has a good heart to it and I felt satisfied with the story line and ending.
I took my 10 year old son and he was only concerned with understanding why the woman was digging in the ground with her hands and not letting the soldiers help dig. I explained grief ....
Everything else was tasteful enough because we didn't see it happen, they were just referred to with an adults perception (rape, suicide, ect:) and went over his head. The suicide also happend off camera and so the man was bleading from the head with a bloody gun at his side. It wasn't too visually intense.
The main character had a change of heart and having a change of heart and becoming your true self is why I marked that this movie has a great message a s great role model.

Adult Written bySteve C. February 11, 2018

The Past is Relevant in the Present

Good storyline incorporating much of our present prejudices and their roots in the superiority of western culture to all others. The relationship of these self-evident truths of the Western Expansion by European society on the current societal norms is laid bare. The ability of people to change their prejudices and move forward in life is an underlying theme that results in a powerful message. We too rarely faced the evils of Manifest Destiny, and the, "Whiteman's Burden," in such a critical and introspective manner. This story does that, but will not reach those who most need to understand and accept that underlying truth. There is one glaring fault in the movie that is technical rather than related to the message. Yet for one such as I, who am highly accomplished in wilderness trekking, it almost overshadowed the story. That was, one pack horse carrying enough gear and food for the entire party. The ratio of pack animals to people on a long term trek such as this was portrayed to be, is two pack animals per person, minimum! Otherwise, from clothing and equipment to firearms, it was a fairly accurate of a portrayal of the times and places depicted.

Adult Written bybos1234 September 4, 2018

Gritty and violent, but solid look at the brutality of the West.

This movie is solid but not for those who want to leave a film feeling good about humanity. This is about the brutality of all parties during a difficult time in our nation's history.

Adult Written bySirthorn84 August 25, 2018

Not for sensitive pansies

This movie is great. It shows the true brutality and cut throat Mentality of the West in 1892. I highly recommend this movie
Adult Written byRobconandrew August 25, 2018

Waste of time

This movie attempts far far too hard to be profound, without necessarily working on the storyline, dialogue or anything of actual worth.
Adult Written byKingLeonidas. August 19, 2018

Good work

I think it encompasses a good western after the time of General Custer it really displays the heartache and pain that western men and Indians had to deal with.
It was quite violent at parts. Very real I guess you could say.

Adult Written byKingLeonidas. August 19, 2018

Good work

It was quite violent at parts. Very real I guess you could say.

Adult Written bywilliam n. February 13, 2018

Long, slow and boring.

this movie was not worth the price of admission. Bale was one monotone bore and the script was on an elementary school level. Couldn't wait for it to be over.
Adult Written byDon M. February 11, 2018

Hostile SLOG

Violent not for kids,
Very SLOw Going. Terrible editing movie has huge holes in its story.
Very tired of Hollywood TRING to shame Americans with their view of history.
Adult Written byNatalie H. February 7, 2018

white men addressing the wrongs they have done- asking for forgiveness

many lessons about history, about forgiveness, men being humans with true emotions- a true gem-
Adult Written byRay S. February 3, 2018

Powerful Western genre

Graphic and repeated violence that also is integral to the story and powerfully portrays war- related PTSD on soldiers and on civilians within the context of 1890’s West. The dynamics between American Indians and whites on a long and dangerous journey evolves into somewhat of a metamorphosis for those involved. This is a very entertaining movie for adults who are open to seeing graphic violence among and between both “good and bad” guys and the devastating impact of war on a family—and the poignancy and strength that is displayed in the lead characters. A five-star adventure...:)

Adult Written byMoss P. February 2, 2018

Worst Western I've Ever Seen

Gratuitous violence abounds! Will, no doubt, be great fodder for Mystery Science Theater in the future. Synopsis: About 13 people start off on a journey to Montana, three remain at the end of the film. Between episodes of over-the-top violence, the film trods on at a slug's pace (seriously, they would have made it to Montana sooner if they left the horses behind). There is some "Enemy Of Mine" type plot, but it is a thinly disguised political statement about the treatment of Native Americans, and how we should all learn to live together. In all, it's a horrible film.
Adult Written byAndy E. January 6, 2018

traditional western with more questions than answers

this film raised the following qustion..... Why should I empathise with a man who seems as violent as the 'savages', an unfortunate term given as he was pretty savage himself on occations...... a man that seems to have had a change of attitude towards the 'savages', but without any real insite as to why this has happened. Poor stuff in my opinion... poorest film I've seen in about 3 months.... why bother???