Parent reviews for Hot Rod

Hot Rod Poster Image

A little crass, but Sublime

Rod (main character) is a wonderful role model. He does not let injuries or hormone disorders or even his animosity towards his father get in the way of his goals. They even bring up geographical trivia such as Rodisia! He struggles against extreme odds to save his father's life proving his heart is in the right place. The only scenes I did not approve of was when his friend did acid and hopped on a bench grinder as well as the scene where they play a game of guessing jelly beans by taste alone - i do not want my diabetic son repeating what he has seen, potentially dangerous (the jelly beans, not the acid) As far as language goes, my son likes to repeat the line "i go to church every G*dd**n Sunday, AND YOURE GONNA BRING THE DEMONS OUTTA ME?" which he did repeat at a church luncheon - very innapropreate! Please note that although I have given this film four stars I would more accurately say it is 3.5 stars - I would deduct the half star from an otherwise glowing review because there is one scene where Rod learns Tai-chi explicitly for the reason of making people defecate their pants, which is a very irresponsible way to use martial arts.

Really funny, doesn't contain much violence other than some comical over-the-top sparring with his step-father and accidental injuries(like "America's Funniest Home Videos").

The main review has spoilers so just reads this if you want to avoid spoilers. Here is an IMDB Parent's guide modified(to remove spoilers when keeping relevant details and with some clarification) with some of my my comments in bold(I also modified it slightly to remove slight spoilers that were present but to still give you a good idea of things). The worst of it is definitely the language. "Violence" In a dream, you see 2 mascots fighting each other, one of them beats the other with a chair until a red liquid that might possibly be blood oozes(the mascots in their costumes look nothing like humans except for the arms and legs sticking out.). The main character's goal is to fight his dad and earn his respect, which he tries several times and fails, but no blood is shown.(To put it into perspective, a movie like one of Lord of he Rings series is like 10 times more violent than this movie and even Star Wars is more violent) There are a lot of temporary injuries while doing stunts, mainly played for laughs. There are a few scenes of vomiting after some crashes.(It is not really "violence" towards anyone in this case but the character wrecking his bike, getting hurt in accidents when trying to do stunts, etc. It is not violence anymore than stubbing your toe or hitting your head is violent. The character really takes a beating while doing some of the stunts but it is in a funny slapstick way rather than people harming each other) "Profanity" 1 "F***" 15 "Sh**" 35 uses total of anatomical terms and milder profanities. This wouldn't be suitable for a five year old but it should be fine for a teen(especially a person in their late teens). The violence isn't bad at all and I don't think it will stick with you in any negative way. You can give it a try and see if the language is more than you are comfortable with(there is a lot of cussing in the first few minutes but it gets better). I find the movie pretty hilarious.

Slapstick but crude

Big Andy Samberg fan here from SNL, and I would probably not let my children watch most of the funniest sketches he was in. The slapstick nature of the humor and situations in the movie appeal to kids. Unfortunately, the language is just awful. I have read comments that say that the profanity is mild, which I find to be remarkable. Consider for a moment if you heard any of the language you saw in this film coming out of your child's mouth at the dinner table, at a school sporting event, or directed at you or one of his/her teachers. You would be absolutely stunned and shocked. Younger viewers will absolutely pick up on, and incorporate these ideas and words into their vocabulary, let alone the images of alcoholism and drug use. For this reason, despite the funny overtones I have to rate this at 16 or older at a minimum. It is also interesting how this is being compared to Napoleon Dynamite, which had neither the language, nor the other crude aspects that this film has in significant supply.

Great Family Movie

It is absurd that common sense media gave it the same amount of violence as Gladiator. Other than mild language this is a fun family movie.

Hilarious movie some violent scenes

Some language including a f word

Funny, iffy for kids 11 and under

This movie is hilarious!!! The language is the only issue in this movie. 1 use of "F", 15 uses of Sh*t, and 30 other milder swears. I don't even know why the heck Common Sense Media gave the violence a 5/5. The violence is probably a 2/5 at the most. Rod is accident prone and fights his step dad to earn respect.

love it

i dont know what people are talking about? i dont know if its cause i love andy samberg so much but the swearing in this film isnt at all bad? the f word is mention once and sh-- it mentioned a couple of times! there is hardly any bad language at all, and as for violence, it isnt what anyone would call ''violence'' theres no gangs or killing, its one man/boy who is a failed stunt man that falls over a few times but its nothing that could influence a child! overall, this is the most hilarious film ever, and i am going to own up to watching it every single day for the past 8 weeks- in fact im watching it right now

Pretty good

Funny movie, first time i saw it i thought it was stupid. but it grows on you. There is quite a bit of drinking and like it says about the grocery store. Some language is in it too. If you can get past that it's pretty good. It's got a positive message, be who you are.