All teen and kid member reviews for Hotel Rwanda

Teen, 14 years old Written byJanelle Hope November 19, 2013

Excellent, but frightening content to be examined.

"Hotel Rwanda" was definitely on my top 10. However, parents need to decide whether the content is appropriate for their children. Paul Rusesabagina is a very positive role model who saves 1200 people unintentionally placed in his care to escape genocide. There is a scene where a few nude (or nearly nude) women are described as prostitutes, though nothing is seen. There is one use of the "f" word, and a few uses of s***. Several men drink alcohol. The most important aspect that parents need to pay attention to, though, is violence. There are several scenes where corpses cover the ground, several where armed men shoot guns into the air and at people, and one particularly alarming scene where men use machetes to kill others. I believe that this is a movie that must be seen by all people in their lifetimes. As shocking and frightening as the events are, it raises necessary awareness and helps us to realize the terrors of the world that the media is not willing to display and that millions have sat idly by and watched without any course of action. We need to be educated on these terrible events to prevent them in the future.
Kid, 12 years old February 19, 2009

Very powerful

This movie is very powerful. It really makes you think about the genocide in Africa! This is a good movie. Parents it is violent due to the fact that it is all about genocide. I would recomend that parents should check it out and decide if their children can watch it. ALL IN ALL IT IS A VERY POWERFUL MOVIE!
Teen, 15 years old Written byuvkitty September 26, 2010

Beautiful movie.

I loved this movie. It made me cry, but its the truth about the genocide in Rwanda.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymovieman09 April 9, 2008

The Best

I rented this thinking it would just be another action packed movie with no story line but it turned out to be one of the best best movies I've ever seen. It was kind of scary because innocent people were dying and nobody was doing anything about it. It is kind of sad and it there are some very suspenseful parts. I think if kids can handle the violence and the laguage then they should be able to watch this. 10 and up
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008
Teen, 14 years old Written bybiovox14 May 9, 2016

Awesome, powerful movie!

Great movie but emotionally provoking. It will make you cry inspite of no main characters dying. It is a bit graphic but if your kid is mature then watch it. Even for teens I would suggest parents watch it with them. A very poignant movie and awesome cinematography. Great acting and awesome point!
Teen, 14 years old Written bynatalieleeper March 20, 2016
Hotel Rwanda was an amazing movie that really made you think about each countries role in the genocide. There are some awful things and messages in there, but without them in it, the story would be false. However I do disagree with there being no positive messages. I think that Paul and his family set an amazing example and some of the other characters in the movie did what they had to, it's the nature of what was going on at the time. No on can expect anyone to be perfect when they're in the middle of a genocide. I think it is a very important movie to help understand some real world issues, and even things that are going on today. Though the movie is incredibly disturbing, it is an important watch as long as the people watching it are mature enough to take it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bystvn8or June 25, 2012

Hotel Rwanda=Very Good

I know, the movie has violence, foul language and smoking advertisements. But, it is a very good movie about a real event. I believe every 12 year-old should watch this.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCommando_1 May 29, 2012

VERY WELL DONE MOVIE!!! THUMBS UP!!!

This movie gives you a taste of what it was like when the man, Rwanda, tries to save many lives from death! When I watch the movie I just couldn't believe on how much courage this man had. I give TWO THUMBS UP FOR THIS MOVIE FOR 14+! It does have some gruesome scenes that were a bit disturbing.
Teen, 15 years old Written bynorthcuttjj December 8, 2010

Tweens and up will enjoy this amazing story

Good, gripping, and filled with positive messages "Hotel Rwanda" delviers these and more from start to finish. The Violence is not that bad in my opinion, but it is mainly used against innocents by cruel soliders or rebels. With the exception of one scene were a man stumbles across a filed filled with the dead bodies of innocents the violence is not that graphic. Language can get a little rough including one use of the F-word and several others sprinkled in. Still all the good messages are what carry this intense movie all the way to the end credits.
Teen, 15 years old Written byllreichling November 2, 2010
Kid, 11 years old February 11, 2010

Very good!

Really good but kinda violent but hey u know i watched schindelers lisr!

Good Movie But very Violent

Suspensful and Freaky but good
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeroOfLight94 April 9, 2008

One of the best movies I have ever seen!!!!!

Yes i know this is a controversial movie yes it was rated "R" originally. but the violence is not that big a problem. (probobly rated R originally because of brief sort of blurred decapitation) none of the violence is graphic persee (still blood but no gore) The f word is used once and some other mild swearing (S--- D--- N----r He-- and intense emotional sitituations best movie of 2004!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bychris a April 9, 2008

A heartbreaking tale, but an excellent script

‘Hotel Rwanda’ is a truly moving story of one individual and his fight for survival. Whilst overcoming countless problems and obstacles he tries to keep his family, friends and complete strangers intact and safe from the malicious Hutu army. With nothing but courage, bravery and the sheer hope to succeed, Paul Rusesabagina ducks and dives out of certain death playing his enemies against one another. With award winning performances from Don Cheadle and a superbly clever script, this really is a film worthy of your recognition. ‘‘They’ll say that’s horrible . . . then go on eating their dinner.’’ This is the most famous and meaningful line of the film and sums up the ignorance and cold heartedness of western world. The film shows how horrific this tragedy was without turning itself into a blood-fest and with competing Hollywood blockbusters, it’s quite hard to produce a good, well rated, movie without blood and guts everywhere. What is more effective about this film is the not what the viewer does see, but what they don’t see, just trying to imagine what actually took place can send a viewer running to the toilet with their hands over their mouth. Despite the tragedy and story behind this film, the film itself is one of the best world cinema films ever made and I even go as far as to say as one of the most moving stories ever to be made. ****