Parent reviews for Hubie Halloween

Hubie Halloween Poster Image

Common Sense review too harsh

It seems like the reviewer hated this film because she believes Sandler was playing a character with a disability. I saw no mean-spiritedness toward the character as far as the writing and story is concerned. Hubie is a kind and generous man in Salem, a town notorious for bullies (addressed by Hubie’s mom). Hubie has a lot of fears, but he faces them in order to help people, including the adults who bully him or ignore him. He doesn’t let their pranks or name-calling or throwing things at him get him down or inspire him to act like them. He turns the other cheek, and never holds it against them. There is crude humor, reference to consenting adults having sex problems, and one scene at a teen party where alcohol is being put in the punch, but no drunkenness or gory detailed violence. The violence is mostly directed at Hubie, and it’s the type of violence most kids 11 and younger have seen on the school yard (which means it’s relatable), but a bit more exaggerated. For example, an adult bully pushes Hubie, but instead of him falling to the ground and scraping his lip, Hubie is pushed into a grave, where he isn’t hurt, and gets his thermos out to help him. Two things I really appreciated about this movie: 1. There were appropriate consequences for the bullies (though it looks for a minute like it will be too harsh!), and this leads to confessions about why they think they chose to bully Hubie. There are at least four different confessions. 2. The pacing of the scary parts interlaced with silly humor was perfect for tweens. There is some tension, but it’s broken quite often, which is so important in learning emotion regulation. Most of the scary stuff is Hubie being scared, pranked, or startled. It wasn’t overwhelming.

2 people found this helpful.

Too many sexual jokes

I didn’t expect much but was still disappointed. Could have been ok but kids said it was cringy and there were way too many sexual jokes. My kids learned some new words like boner and horny, if you catch all the t-shirt writing you will pick up worse. In one scene someone is jokily sucking on his fingers and asks his wife if it “turns you on”, and she jokes “what are those supposed to be, tiny penises?”. Is that really the kind of joke for pg-13???? Gross! Worse for tweens and young teens than if it was scarier or violent. Nothing scary in this movie just the inappropriate sex humor in what seemed like it could have been a kid/family friendly movie. Cringy garbage.

1 person found this helpful.

Avoid for younger kids unless you want to do a lot of explaining

Avoid for kids under 14 unless you want to explain boners, horny, sexual satisfaction, and other adult humor. It had every swear word but fu**. It was slapstick which we appreciated, but heavy on the sexual innuendos

1 person found this helpful.

Unnecessary sexualised comments

Watched with my 10 year old, some funny parts but also some very inappropriate parts too...yes it's rated 12 plus, wouldn't think anything apart from swearwords and maybe more scary parts but there was a comment like "oh I'm so sexually turned on right now, I'm horny" It was totally unnecessary where it was put in too so was absolutely unexpected! Would not recommend ...too many unnecessary sexualised comments for younger audience. Ended up turning the film off half way through.

Funny, but mean.

Makes fun of disorderly people:(.

My 14 year old shut it off

(1) it's bullying the kids who may have learning disabilities as the main character is unique (2) as with most of Adam Sandler's flicks, they are always crude and inappropriate for be watching with kids (3) my daughter initially laughed at the slapstick comedy, but 20 minutes in she couldn't take it anymore and found something else to watch

Awesome Sandler family Halloween movie!

It's Adam Sandler and his usual cast in a kids Halloween movie. My 11 and 13 year old boys, and my wife and I, really enjoyed this movie. I was fine with the limited use of any language or light-hearted innuendos. Sandler movies are simple, funny and worth watching. Those adults who think his movies are too crass really need to lighten up and just enjoy the stupidity of the humor and laugh. This movie is fine for kids 11 years and older and worth the time to watch it as a family.

Makes awful dyslexic jokes - don't watch

Unfortunately, my daughter with dyslexia chose this movie. It had two awful dyslexia references/jokes. The bully blaming his behavior on growing up dyslexic and being dumb. A child saying another child was a bully because he was 11 and had the reading level of a 2nd grader. Netflix and Adam Sandler should know better. I could physically see the pain on my daughters face for what should have been a light hearted Halloween movie.

Super fun, story about conquering bullying

In the end the story is about a person who was tirelessly bullied but who ended up becoming the hero. The humor is gross at times, expected with the cast involved. I loved the silly scares, my kids love the movie, we laughed loud. It does have some innuendo in the clothing worn, but for the most part this movie is all about staying true to yourself even when bullied and choosing to rise above it.