All parent member reviews for Hugo

Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byConcerned Smart... January 13, 2012

Loved the movie, Sasha Cohen not so much.

The movie is artistically delightful. Totally recommend it. However, I must agree with the other reviews that Sasha Cohen's part as station inspector was distracting. Additionally, his repeated dialogues regarding a co-worker's wife's infidelity and pregnancy were inappropriate. You should just cough loudly & repeatedly during the movie when he is speaking on the phone and walking a child to the back of a truck. We still loved the movie regardless, just wished he would have been left out. When will Hollywood stop throwing in adult situations/language/etc in kid's movies?
Adult Written byOverly sensitive? December 17, 2011

Disturbing to a sensitive person. The mechanical transformation of the boy upset me too. I am 63 and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone. Sorry!

To me it was just sad. I grew up in poverty and without family models (absent, neglectful parents. The colors in film were dreary, the home life was absent. It made me fall asleep it was so sad.
Parent Written bymissy1234 November 23, 2011

Good movie!

My family saw this today - husband, two daughters and me (wife!). My older daughter is almost 13 and really liked it (because she read the book!) while my 9 year old was lost a lot of the times. My husband and I liked the movie also but didn't really see the need for 3D as the glasses drive us crazy as well as the price! I would recommend it to others.
Educator and Parent Written bypaideuo July 20, 2013

HUGO humanist philosophy in an open world view

Humanist Philosophy (closed world view) confronts Christian Philosophy (open world view) In a closed world view God has no interaction with the world. In an open world view He does Paris was( circa 1900 AD) the hub of world thinking on the 3 major disciplines of thought : philosophy, science and religion. It was the product and centre of the Enlightenment. Following on the heels of the French Revolution (circa 1789 AD) the new government would construct a new Constitution. England had just come through the Reformation with changes in Government without the bloodshed that marked the French Revolution, and France tried to copy their example. However, the Reformation was Religious and God centered while the Enlightenment was decidedly Man centered. This Man centered approach finds its beginnings in the writings of Voltaire (1694-1778) , often called the "father of the Enlightenment". Voltaire took humanistic elements from the Renaissance and secularized them. These elements are summed up in 5 words : reason, nature, happiness, progress and liberty. To Voltaire man and society were perfectible. Man was absolute and thus was the starting point for advancement. If Voltaire and other similar thinkers had a religion, they were deists ( i.e. God created the world but has no contact with it). Subsequent government revolutions operating from a similar philosophy , notably Russian and Third Reich ended in horrible bloodbaths also, not to mention the countries in Africa , Middle and Far East today. From Voltaires work, Rousseau 1712- 78, Kant 1800-1850, Hegel 1834-1919, and Kierkegaard 1850-1900, to mention only a few , expanded this view of man. This view opened he way to a closed world view and by extension "God is Dead " view of Hegel 1899. In this view freedom of will is dead also, not just God and the soul of man. Because a soul is not necessary to function as a material man only, a soul is not required . As the soul is the seat of love and emotions , love dies also. There comes therefore no need for morals, freedom, love or purpose. In a C.W.V (closed world view) man as man is dead , life is pointless, and devoid of meaning. This is the end result of humanism, the desire to make man autonomous . See AUTONOMOUS : self-governing, or independent, AUTOMATON a moving mechanical device resembling a human being (OXFORD DIC.) As I see it : Hugo (the son) Hugos Father (believer in Automaton) follows the Instructions on the completion of the human being-like machine from a manual that requires replacement parts. These parts are known only to Uncle Georges (Creator of the Automaton), who was thought to have died in the fire that destroyed his theatre. Uncle Georges was always involved in creating lives , via magic and its subsequent wonder, when he had a monopoly on magic. This magic was religious in its acceptance by people who willingly submitted to its fascination and enjoyment. But time and modernity brought change and competition to the Religion of Magic. To keep from going the way of the dodo, Uncle Georges compromised and followed the latest trend in influence, that being cinematography. This proved to be a limited solution and short lived as the movie industry advanced, leaving Uncle Georges behind, apparently unable to compete with the other moviemakers. This is how Uncle Georges at the outset of the movie is found to be running a small shop, repairing small , common place rodents, when at one time he was creating new human beings i.e. people with changed lives and souls. His move to film making copied the other life changers in results also however. He could entertain people with movies but it took magic to change them at their souls. As he constructed the automaton he lost the "key" component, the heart-shaped key that made the Automaton alive, it had no soul. These people are represented in the characters who live and move within the Station. The Security Inspector :representing the Law as disabled, not complete, insecure in its purpose. He (Law) develops a personal hatred for Hugo (the Son), trying to trap him violating any law of the Station. When imprisoned wrongfully His innocence is obvious and His punishment excessive. Flower Shop Lady :appreciates beauty of nature and its design but wary of trusting other humans . The Elderly Couple who are both desirous of companionship but afraid of loss. The Librarian (the Source of all knowledge and Judge of personality.) Isabel is the Force or Energy driving this adventure. Completing a Triad of support for Hugo, the all-knowing Librarian, Uncle Georges the Giver of new life and Isabel the Energy behind the adventure . One of the conclusions of this movie is that reducing the human being to a body and mind only is woefully simplistic and full of undesireable consequences.Spirit and soul , with the body are seperate but not isolated to each other. Together the overlap and intertwine. In consideration of personhood, each element has a purpose. Modern psychology and philosophy has denied this saying psychotherapy is better understood as a technical treatment of illness or disorder than a personal and religiously directed relationship offering guidance in living. John Watson, founder of behavioural psychology, said " must drscribe the behaviour of man in no other terms than those you would use to discribe the behaviour of an ox." Without a soul man is reduced to just another variation in the animal kingdom. Man can therefore be studied , measured and controlled by others. He becomes just another part of the machinery called society. The soul complicates things because it is unique to every person. It is the "Ghost " in the machine that keeps man from becoming just another machine. Its what makes us valuable to man and God .
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byCMMOMMY December 15, 2011

Great with Parent Prep & Discussion

My husband and I saw this movie for a "date night" and to see if it would be appropriate for our six year old son. We both enjoyed the film very, very much. We have not read the book, but found the film had great visuals, a great story, good acting, and was educational too! Many have commented about a lack of entertainment by the train station inspector, but I thought Sasha Baron Cohen was great. Definitely a different role for him and a different kind of funny, but funny non the less. There are some intense scenes that I think could be a little scary and stressful for my son: the father's death, the boy's nightmare's, the sadness and anger the filmmaker exhibits. Even so, I still might let my son see the movie with his father. The fascinating tinkering, inventing, and "fixing things" is just right up our guy's alley! The movie also beautifully portrays the early history of film. Also, the idea of having a purpose, being a part of something bigger than yourself, is wonderful. I think this film is a beautiful way to explore this idea with children. The lonely orphaned Hugo, looks out over the nighttime bustling city of Paris, imagining it all to be a great machine, and he muses that he knows he must belong in this world, even though he is so alone, because machines don't have extra parts. He refuses to be an extra part that doesn't fit in this world, despite all his hardships. I think that can and should be talked about and emphasized, even with a younger child. I think my son and I will have great conversations, both before and after the movie, that will make it less scary, more meaningful, and a film worth seeing, while we can, in 3D!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byCBeth November 26, 2011

Beautiful cinematography; not quite the book

The visuals in this movie are lovely and in that way it does try to evoke the glory of movie-making. As others have said, it is a nice tribute to the magic of movies. For those of us who read and loved the book, the art of the book was a lot of its magic, and although the movie was different, it did seem to try to capture the beauty and intensity of the graphics. The star actor who plays Hugo is very talented and fans of British actors will see some favorites in supporting roles (including some from the Harry Potter movies). [spoiler alert ahead] I could not, however, give it an unqualified thumbs-up because of a few changes from the book. Inevitably, of course, there are changes from a book to a movie, particularly when length is an issue. However, what was done here was not just excising some plots/characters (e.g., the nice "Etienne" character) but adding an entire plot line and dimension that was not in the book. The Station Inspector becomes almost a main character and some of the actions seem gratuitous, with added chase scenes, a threatening dog, etc. I minded less the little subplot about the cafe owner and the newspaper stand owner, mostly because it was relatively minor (and it did add some light comic relief, nicely done but not found in the book). I assume that the book's author approved the modifications and additions, but from those of us who loved the book, it seemed somewhat off-kilter.
Educator and Parent of a 9 year old Written byNick's Momma December 5, 2011

Finally! A film that is actually full of delightful surprises

My son loved this and said "5 stars mommy, 5 stars!" when we got out. We normally don't like 3D either since it can be too much for the little guys and the glasses are that comfortable, but the 3D in this film is very well done and is not over used. This is a really special film, that celebrates film itself and we highly recommend it. I think the 8 target you have above is right-on. My son is 9 and I think anyone under 8 may be too sensitive to the scene where his father dies in a fire and the fact that he is orphaned and living in a train station.
Parent Written byInAnyEvent December 3, 2011

WI moviegoers

It says a lot to having a purpose in life, finding your purpose in life.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byRealityRobin December 16, 2011

Beautiful movie for adults, slow for kids

We were very excited to see this movie since we read this book to our 7 year old son. I was impressed that he was able to sit through the entire 3D movie without squirming too much... because the pace is pretty slow. The amazing 3D scenes (that are in the trailer) are few and far between. I wish I could change my rating to "appropriate for kids 10 & OLDER." It was a beautiful movie and it has a great message... but the movie drags for younger kids.
Parent Written byJefrey May 26, 2013

Good for younger viewers as well.

This is an extremely intelligent film for people who spend time cultivating an appreciation for arts and education with their children. If you watch this movie with your child (rather than plopping them down in front of the screen alone), then many an intelligent discussion will follow. I disagreed with the intial reviewer's statement that this movie might not engage younger viewers, when essentially this loosely fact based story is a tale of magic, love, and second chances.
Parent of a 7, 9, and 14 year old Written bypanamamama January 23, 2012

Hugo!

I adored this book and the movie didn't disappoint! Lovely camerawork and sweet story. There are some sad scenes which might be too much for some younger children. Loved it.
Educator Written bymcshawnboy January 11, 2012

Excellent Synopsis Of Early Film History

This isn't a movie you can park kids in front of unless they have the ability to pay close attention to the story.
Parent Written byCSM Screen name... February 9, 2014

Ok, I guess

Hugo is a very well made movie. I personally do not like the story very much, there is not very much action. I said 9 and up because it would be hard to understand for anyone below that age. kids might like it but I do not.
Parent Written byFilmDad2013 March 24, 2013

Hugo no go

The film is filled with un answered questions between characters, that if answered, could have eliminated issues and awkward situations that could have resulted in a shorter more enjoyable movie. No mention was made of the father's clock shop or any money the father had. In my families opinion (aged 11 to 45) this movie was tedious, slow moving, confusing and frustrating. It showed the need speak up and to answer questions when they are asked of you, which would eliminate problematic situations. Also we didn't find humor in the way the disabled security officer was presented.
Adult Written byJEDI micah February 23, 2013

Ehhh....boring.

I didn't really find this movie really fascinating. I mean, it is great to see a movie that tells the history of movies, but, I don't know, something about it made me not want to finish it. Other families may find this movie entertaining.
Educator and Parent Written byPranesh September 22, 2012

roadsidemovie - Hugo review

Hugo is a good movie, but the only problem is it drives you in the middle of the movie to expect something is going to happen and it never really happen and you may end up disappointed. So keep your expectations to low and just flow with the movie. It's kind of fantasy movie but don't expect it to be magical fantasy. Other than that as I said, its a good movie.
Parent Written byJLFM May 12, 2012

Amazing film, but may bore younger ones.

Parent Written byAlley6S April 9, 2012

Beautiful Hugo

The only thing inappropriate about this movie (why I haven't shown it to my five-year-old) is that it is a little slow. It won't go over well with kids with short attention spans, but my nine- and ten-year-olds loved it. If your child had the attention span and maturity to appreciate the book, they'll love the movie, too. It is beautifully done, and has a sweet message about working hard and chasing your dreams even when the path leads you to dreams you never knew were options.
Educator and Parent Written byevangeline-setin March 16, 2012

Kids aren't probably interested...

Scorsese's obviously a known film legend, & his love story about the origins of films will probably not attract children, but a wonderful film for adults. I strongly recommend those who are patient, film lovers & focuses on the "pretty" art of the film.
Parent Written bytreat02 March 2, 2012

Good movie as thought

This is a very good movie. I enjoyed watching the adventure. The only "scary" part would be when Hugo's father burned up. The film does not show him burning but does show the fire. There is a couple of uses of "idiot". The storyline is great and Hugo is a good boy....he only steals to live.....the young girl is very nice to him, too. Good for kids.