A Black girl sits next to her mom and dad on a couch, all smiling. She is pointing at a smartphone that they are looking at together.

Concerned about social media, AI, and screen time?

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the best out of media and tech.

Parent and Kid Reviews on

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Hunt for the Wilderpeople Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 36 parent reviews

Sort by:
Very entertaining movie that we enjoyed with our son. I liked that it showed another culture and real issues. Parts were very sad and there was violence and cursing but we really enjoyed it.

A memorable addition to the road trip genre

A very Waititi film. Funny, irreverent, different and centering the stories of non-traditional folks. A wonderful film that has the Waititi humor and pizazz and doubled with Dennison charm. This film offers a refreshing rendition of the road trip genre that is memorable and grounded.

hilarious and heartwarming

Don't miss this hilarious and heartwarming movie.

Triggering

I wanted to like this movie. I wish I could say I did. However, the theme of paedophilia was very triggering for me as someone who has been assaulted. There should definitely be a warning about this. There's another review here that says they disagree paedophilia was a strong theme, however please understand that whether it was fine for you or not, people with a history of abuse should not be exposed to content like this, especially not without warning

HEART WARMING

great movie a bit scary for my 16 year old but he is disabled so its fine!! Great love it!

Great Movie

This movie is a very good film. The good things about it are that: 1. There is a lot of jokes in this movie. 2. It is funny. 3. It makes you laugh. 4. There is some action in this movie. The not so good things are: 1. The movie says a lot of bad words. 2. some blood is in this movie. 3. Some scenes are kinda inapropriat. Overall this is a great movie!!

An Enjoyable Evening Movie

It's definitely a cute story. Love the friendship that develops between Ricky and Uncle. Worth the time to watch.

Quirky NZ movie

Centres around a 13 year old Maori boy with a criminal record who is put in foster care as his last chance. When his foster mother dies he goes on a trek in the bush (forest) with his foster carer's partner Sam Neill to escape his unpleasant caseworker who wants to take him back. Hard to classify- not a kids movie, not a coming of age movie. Comedic elements, dramatic elements, spectacular scenery, some black humor that judging from the comments, some audiences may not entirely get and may mistake as serious. There is a pig killing scene, it was comedy - even myself, an animal lover did not take offence but might upset young kids. It shows diversity without preaching and has a heartwarming ending.