Parent reviews for Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Hunt for the Wilderpeople Poster Image

A memorable addition to the road trip genre

A very Waititi film. Funny, irreverent, different and centering the stories of non-traditional folks. A wonderful film that has the Waititi humor and pizazz and doubled with Dennison charm. This film offers a refreshing rendition of the road trip genre that is memorable and grounded.

hilarious and heartwarming

Don't miss this hilarious and heartwarming movie.

Triggering

I wanted to like this movie. I wish I could say I did. However, the theme of paedophilia was very triggering for me as someone who has been assaulted. There should definitely be a warning about this. There's another review here that says they disagree paedophilia was a strong theme, however please understand that whether it was fine for you or not, people with a history of abuse should not be exposed to content like this, especially not without warning

HEART WARMING

great movie a bit scary for my 16 year old but he is disabled so its fine!! Great love it!

Great Movie

This movie is a very good film. The good things about it are that: 1. There is a lot of jokes in this movie. 2. It is funny. 3. It makes you laugh. 4. There is some action in this movie. The not so good things are: 1. The movie says a lot of bad words. 2. some blood is in this movie. 3. Some scenes are kinda inapropriat. Overall this is a great movie!!

An Enjoyable Evening Movie

It's definitely a cute story. Love the friendship that develops between Ricky and Uncle. Worth the time to watch.

Quirky NZ movie

Centres around a 13 year old Maori boy with a criminal record who is put in foster care as his last chance. When his foster mother dies he goes on a trek in the bush (forest) with his foster carer's partner Sam Neill to escape his unpleasant caseworker who wants to take him back. Hard to classify- not a kids movie, not a coming of age movie. Comedic elements, dramatic elements, spectacular scenery, some black humor that judging from the comments, some audiences may not entirely get and may mistake as serious. There is a pig killing scene, it was comedy - even myself, an animal lover did not take offence but might upset young kids. It shows diversity without preaching and has a heartwarming ending.

Not suitable for all kids

My husband and I loved this movie - our kids, not so much. They found the scene (with the boar) quite upsetting and opted out of watching the rest of the movie. A number of scenes following that one would definitely not have worked for our three kids (7, 9, 11) particularly the loss of the pet dog. I will look forward to watching it with them when they’re older!

NOT a PG movie!

Wow that is the last time I put on a PG movie without checking the reviews! There is an incredibly violent stabbing of a wild pig in the first 10mins!!! It was really shocking and I am so glad we were able to cover the kids eyes. Not long after that a main character who is the only person in the movie who is kind to the main kid dies suddenly and the husband grieving over the body is done very realistically, but it really is not a scene I want my kids to see before they are mature enough to handle it. Definitely not PG, more like M. We had to stop there so I cannot comment further except to say that it seemed like a fun movie, for adult audiences.