Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for I Am Not Your Negro

Powerful documentary explores race, art, and activism.

Based on 1 review
Adult Written byDebra Z. February 11, 2017
Parent of a 10 year old Written byMichelle T. March 8, 2017

Not for kids:Very Important movie, perspective changing but intense at times

James Baldwin was a brilliant, poetic, visionary, activist and this movie captures his important perspectives on the racism/humanity question. It inspires, , makes you question and will make you angry. It should be seen by everyone but there are many historical news clips and images that viewers will find disturbing--lynchings, race riots, beatings, and other forms of violence. Parts are too graphic for children and while I think it would be so valuable for young adults to become familiar with James Baldwin it's hard for me to recommend for anyone under 18. Perhaps 16 and up for very mature kids with prior exposure to historical imagery.

Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byZina H. January 23, 2018

Necessary if tough viewing

The things that make I Am Not Your Negro tough to watch (in particular images of violence inflicted on Black people throughout the periods the film covers) are things that are necessary for people to know about. I think that the film is suitable for teenagers to watch by themselves (and have watched part of the film with my 11 year old niece), but that you get the most out of it watching in a group setting (in class or with your family) for discussion purposes. One of the events the documentary covers is the racist bombing of a church that killed four little girls. I think a child the same age as those poor girls should be able to watch this documentary because of how it shows that systemic, VIOLENT, anti-Black racism didn't care about protecting innocent children - because to them, Black children weren't innocent. I've worked in education and I have experience working with teens and young adults on similar material and I think that if you're not sure if your teen can watch this documentary on their own: watch it with them. Do your homework so you can answer their questions and then sit with them so you can learn together. There ARE images of lynching that are upsetting to see in maybe the last third of the film and that may upset smaller and/or sensitive children, but I do think that hiding the reality of what people have been/are like (as lynchings have occurred as recently as last year) is doing a disservice to your kids and to the history that Black people in the US have survived.